Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2005 6:18am

Style: Ju d'oh!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Opinions

Okay, so i've recently restarted my search for some good stand up to add to my Jujutsu classes (and problem being no Muay Thai nearby or normal kickboxing...probably be good for me too...fairly tall (least taller then most of my freinds) so i'm watching T.V. before school and a commercial comes on for a martial arts center. So yeah, I got upstairs and check it out, find out their instructer is someone named 'Joseph Hurtsellers'. Check out the site for yourselves
    http://www.ohiomartialarts.com/
    Now after being on this site as a lurker and occasional poster i went to google to try and see if his claims were accurate and found nothin' (course i'm mostly computer illiterate) was wondering if anyone here knew anything about him or could say anything from the site, it seems close enough that I might be able to make one of the lessons especially since my hours at work have been cut. I'll have to call over once I get out of school today and see if they'll let me observe a lesson or two.
    Hm, maybe I can write a review for 'em, always enjoy the ones I read here and have wanted to do so myself.

Well have at the site eh?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/29/2005 7:06am

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No idea what he teaches. The female is in a kung-fu uniform and the guy is in a dogi.
    Plus, martial arts is his livelyhood so classes may be expensive. Go watch a class and find out.
    Last edited by MONGO; 8/29/2005 10:58am at .

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    8/29/2005 7:24am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do they spar, ever? It looks a bit touchy-feely for my tastes, but the only way to know is to experience it.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/29/2005 8:18am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the sensei's name is Hurtseller... come on.. they HAVE to be tough. The guy's ancestors sold hurt for jebus' sake, that's a hell of a heritage.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2005 12:03pm

Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Taking a quick look at the site I would guess that if what you’re looking for is some realistic alive training/sparring to compliment your BJJ ground game this place probably won’t fit the bill. You won’t know for sure of course without checking it out in person, but when a place throws around things like “spiritual and personal growth” and “meditation” it isn’t usually a good sign.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2005 12:16pm

Style: Ju d'oh!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That was my thought on the place, particularly when he threw in the Shaolin Kung-fu. Then again from what I hear about Asia and Omega that CAN be pretty damn good.

But yeah I think i'll still check it out as soon as my schedule permits. Might at least be entertaining.

Posted On:
    8/29/2005 2:26pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kung Fu works if it's hardcore... like Omega. That's my take on it.

rawr

Posted On:
    8/29/2005 2:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Mushin Dao, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Included in the Arts he has studied are: Okinawan Shuri-Ryu, under the direct supervision of Grand Master R.A. Trias – now deceased, (founder of Karate in the U.S.) Brazilian Jujitsu, - through his friendship and with the help of Henzo Gracie Black Belt Gene Dunn, and today he currently studies Shoalin Kung Fu through Sifu Robert Brown who teaches under the authority of thirty-six generation Shoalin Monk, Master Ue. You will see Sensei Hurtsellers on the mats in Detroit every week in Sifu Brown's class, practicing the love of his life.

bolded for emphasis
    I think it was two ninjas taped together, to make one GIANT NINJA!!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2005 2:35pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm looks like a "fun for the whole family" kind of place to me. Steer clear!

10th level Superlesson Grandmaster

Posted On:
    8/29/2005 2:49pm

Style: Currently Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    JAPAN KARATE ACADEMY
    2640 W. Laskey / Toledo, Ohio 43613 / 419-473-7777 / fax 419-473-9370
    Who, for Pete’s sake! Is opposing science? In fact, we want MORE science by CRITICALLY ANALIZING the evidence-Connie Morris, Kansas State BOE (bolding and underlining part of original quote, red is my emphasis)

As long as you try to treat your subjective experiences as if they were objective experiences, you will continue to be confounded by people who disagree with you.-some guy on an internet messageboard
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast