Sponsored Links Spacer Image

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    8/30/2005 3:31pm

Style: BJJ, Kickboxing, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Wood
    Just saw the replay on free TV of the Fedor Crocop fight. Fedor did an outstanding job and won hands down. The only time Crocop really hurt him was that straight left that probably broke his nose and even then it didn't rock him.

Watching Crocop he just didn't seem like the Crocop I am used to watching. Now that might have been some nerves for finally getting the fight he wanted, it might have been some timidness after the suprise knockout to Randleman, or it might have been a statement to the power Fedor packs on his feet.

I'm not sure if Crocop gassed on the bottom or if that knee Fedor landed to the ribs hurt him more then it seemed but after that clinch and knee in the 2nd round Crocop was definitely gassed and sucking for air. He still did a great job on the bottom avoiding a beating from Fedor landing a lot of punches and even a few kicks when Fedor would stand up. Although that arm bar attempt he had in the 3rd (or was that an arm bar attempt?) was a rather frightening moment for him.

I was suprised by how much trouble both of them were having with their footing though. Great fight and I hope they have a rematch with Crocop being more aggressive.

Everyone seemed to be slipping a lot... Did they butter the ring ahead of time?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2005 3:41pm

Style: BJJ & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by feedback
    That said, I really felt sorry for Cro-Cop; his career may have hinged on this fight.
    I really don't think losing a decision to the best fighter in the world is going to hurt his career much.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2005 4:39pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That hard left hook Fedor landed on cro cop had him stunned pretty bad, I think if Fedor would have engaged immediately afterwards he would have KOed him. Fedor was really dominating the stand up as well as the ground I was very impressed.

on another subject, Brazillian Top Team and Chute Box HATE eachother. almost every time they are in the same event the annoucers make a comment about animosity between them in the locker rooms. I was honestly hoping that Shogun was going to tap out Arona with that omaplata, because Arona likes to think he is such a badass submission fighter. But the KO was cool too.

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    8/30/2005 6:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meager
    I really don't think losing a decision to the best fighter in the world is going to hurt his career much.
    It is, considering his career was already hurt. Taking this title would have put him back, and he failed to do it.

In post-fight interview for Croatian media, Mirko made a short review od the fight.

I have no objections on the decision. Fedor was more agressive and his win is well deserved. After the first round I was barely standing, I just gassed out. Unbelieveable. On the trainings I can do 30 minutes of sparring and I feel relaxed. I just can't explain what happened with my cardio.

You had quite much troubles with Fedor in stand-up since you haven't been on your usual level?
    Mirko: I took some punches but none of them really rocked me. I got him with a few straight punches but he was still on his feet. Maybe I had a chance to finish him off with punches but I went for a high-kick and I slipped.

How about your ground game?
    Mirko: I was controling the ground game and I felt that he can't do much. I even wanted to go to the ground in 3rd round since my cardio was bad and I couldn't do much in stand-up.
    If I had a better cardio, I could have made a pressure on him in stand-up.

What's next for you?
    Mirko: don't know, at the moment I'm dissapointed, sad and very tired.
    Last edited by feedback; 8/30/2005 6:19pm at .
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2005 6:58pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what was that whole thing at the end about fox or whatever, did they mean their going to start showing the pride events on free tv? that would be awesome.

yea i agree arona shouldn't have screamed in the face, and he paid for it in the last fight. but emotions get the best of you esp. when u fight someone u really dont like.

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    8/30/2005 7:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How can you not like sakuraba? He rode in on a bicycle.

A BICYCLE ARONAFAN, A BICYCLE
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    8/30/2005 9:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by aronafan
    what was that whole thing at the end about fox or whatever, did they mean their going to start showing the pride events on free tv? that would be awesome.
    I'm pretty sure it will just be replay's of old fights.

Last week they were showing some of Fedor and Cro-Cop's fights against other opponents to hype the event. They also showed Rampage vs. Chuck, in a none too subtle attempt to bash UFC. That fight was edited for some reason, they showed the first few minutes and then all of a sudden Rampage "won" without them showing anything that happened on the ground.

As for Fedor vs. Cro-Cop, I thought Fedor won, but Cro-Cop did more damage. All you had to do was look at their faces. Fedor being on top gassed Cro-Cop out, but he never landed a solid shot. I don't know why Fedor wasn't more aggressive from the top, maybe he didn't want Cro-Cop to get up. I was pissed that Cro-Cop kept getting the yellow cards for "stalling" when Fedor wasn't really doing anything either.

Posted On:
    8/30/2005 11:04pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've noticed that Pride considers guard to be leading position, and as such, the person holding onto guard seems to be expected to be active. That is my take on why Cro Cop was getting the yellows. This seems to be a pretty consistent thing with Pride, so I am not going to complain.

By the way, was anyone else totally geeked by the fact that fans in the crowd were actually CHEERING when the fights went to the ground?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2005 11:34pm

Style: BJJ & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher
    Last week they were showing some of Fedor and Cro-Cop's fights against other opponents to hype the event. They also showed Rampage vs. Chuck, in a none too subtle attempt to bash UFC. That fight was edited for some reason, they showed the first few minutes and then all of a sudden Rampage "won" without them showing anything that happened on the ground.
    They edited the Fedor/Fujita fight on the ground, too.

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    8/31/2005 2:30pm

Style: BJJ, Kickboxing, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by garbanzobean
    I've noticed that Pride considers guard to be leading position, and as such, the person holding onto guard seems to be expected to be active. That is my take on why Cro Cop was getting the yellows. This seems to be a pretty consistent thing with Pride, so I am not going to complain.

By the way, was anyone else totally geeked by the fact that fans in the crowd were actually CHEERING when the fights went to the ground?
    Lots more educated fans in Japan, know some good **** can happen on the ground. I was excited when Arona/Silva went to the ground, as they were too tentative on the feet, and a stop by cut or KO from Wand on the feet would prove nothing, and Arona was ranting about Silva's BJJ, so I expected him to either prove something or Silva to... Either way, I expected a more active Arona, which can be exciting, or the typical Silva. I got neither, and was pretty dissapointed.

WAR SHOGUN, and WAR CHUTE BOXE!!

I can't wait for Sak to come back. I had wished for him to go to 185, but with the new training, I think it'll be great stuff.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123