Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2005 10:02am

Style: Shaolin-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

bjj class kicked my a%$

So I went to a BJJ class this thursday to see if I would like to train there. The class size is a nice size about 15 people some young some older average age looked to be about low to mid twenties. The class is run by Donald Park who is a brown belt under David Adiv and Rorian Gracie. He is a very cool guy who only wants dedicated people who really want to work there. I sign my waiver and we start, everyone starts with warm ups repetitions of falls crawls and scooting from side to side I learn later what these are for. next we partner up and do crunches pushups and arm and leg strethces and various other excercises. It was aupposed to be the advanced class but since there were many beginners he decides to go over some basics. He first shows us a kimora from the guard position, we partner up and take turns practicing this for a while. Luckily I am working with a blue belt Derrin who works with my on the more subtle mechanics of the move, he was real patient with me even though I think I wrenched his arm a bit too much sometimes. We are then shown a variation of the kimora where if the person tries to extend there arm out we quickly bring the arm to our forhead and submit from there(not sure of the name), we do this and also learn a basic sweep from guard position. After doing these for a while the person who is mounted then tries to resist the kimora in different ways and the person in guard has to figure out whci move to use to get the advantage. Finally we do a technical drill where four people get in the gaurd position and the rest of the class mounts someone and tries to get the advantage(like king of the hill game) the person who wins stays down and a new person jumps in(no breaks for the one who keeps winning) I lose the first to or three fairly quickly as I have no idea what I am supposed to be doing, but I finally win one and am in guard I win about three going into turtle position (that is all I know how to do) Donald yells for someone to get me out of there because they should be able to pick up what I am doing. I am completly gassed out by this point but anyway i get beat next time real quick. Everyone there was real cool no macho attitiudes or anything everyone there was there to work and learn I have decided to stick with this and plan to go three times a week, they have it four days a week but my schedule doesnt permit it. Monthly fees are only $65 and no contracts, the guys regularly compete in and out of the country I do believe. Just wanted to share my experience with you all and I am glad I found a good school and teacher to go to.

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    8/27/2005 10:10am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This sounds like the normal JJ experience. Good luck. You must be very proud of yourself ;P
    More human than human is our motto.

HONEY BADGER!

Posted On:
    8/27/2005 10:26am

Style: Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The correct spelling is "Kimura".

No, wait, it's "Ude Garami".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2005 10:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    proud of myself for what?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2005 10:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sorry I am a noob, we also learned the guillotine(not sure of spelling)

HONEY BADGER!

Posted On:
    8/27/2005 10:30am

Style: Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by arion976
    but I finally win one and am in guard I win about three going into turtle position (that is all I know how to do) Donald yells for someone to get me out of there because they should be able to pick up what I am doing.
    Also, proud of joining the "dark side of the martial arts" (alive training).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2005 10:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no not really It was more luck than skill once a more advanced student came along he quickly put me in my place, all real nice guys though

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2005 10:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah am glad to get a real work out my body still is sore and my neck from the choke holds

Martial and Sexual Artist

Posted On:
    8/27/2005 10:51am

supporting member
     Style: standup to ground

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Describe the turtle position as you were doing it, if you will.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2005 10:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was curled up hands and feet on the ground close together head tucked in as close as possible so essentially my back looked like a turtle shell, I believe this is the turtle position but since I just started I am not sure, correct me if I am wrong
Page 1 of 18 1 234511 ... LastLast