http://www.sunherald.com/mld/thesunherald/12450263.htm

The Laurel native faces Ann Wolfe (21-1) in a historic intergender bout on Oct. 15 at the Mississippi Coast Coliseum. The bout is scheduled for eight rounds at a weight of 165 pounds.

A press conference was held Monday at the Isle of Capri to officially announce the first pro boxing match between man and woman in Mississippi. Isle of Capri is sponsoring the bout.

Skipper (11-3-2) plans on treating Wolfe like his male opponents in the ring.

"I have never hit a woman in my life, but this is different," Skipper said. "She will find out why I am a man, and she's a woman. A woman can't beat a man in pro boxing.

"We are superior physically. I won't be the first man to lose to a woman. I will get carried out of the ring on a stretcher before I lose to Ann Wolfe. If I lose to her, it will be embarrassing for me."

Wolfe is fighting Skipper because she can't get a bout against Laila Ali, a three-time light heavyweight champion.

"It has nothing to do with fighting a man or Bo Skipper," Wolfe said. "Laila Ali is supposed to be where Bo Skipper's at. We're the two best women's boxers, and we can't get together."

Prize Fight Promotions Event coordinator Nate Yoder agrees with the IBA women's light heavyweight champion.

"It is getting to the point where Ann is starting to double up on opponents," Yoder said. "There are no women willing to fight Ann, other than the ones she's already defeated."

The bout, however, has caused some concern in the boxing community, where National Boxing officials do not want the match to take place.

Mississippi State Athletic Commission Chairman John Lewis sanctioned the bout after putting Wolfe through a rigorous workout earlier this summer.

"It's a very controversial fight," said Dana Venad, Wolfe's manager. "It's been well thought out. Ann's safety is our No. 1 concern. But the (state boxing) commissioner (John Lewis) fought Ann (in training) and approved it."

Prize Fight Promoter Brian Young and Coast Coliseum Commissioner Bill Holmes believe everything will work out in the fight.

"If I did not think Bo could beat Ann, he wouldn't be on the card and fighting her," Young said. "It took a lot of courage for Bo to take this fight."

Added Holmes: "We're proud to be hosting the fight. The title of the fight should read: 'Ann vs. Man to Bo, you just don't know.'

Wolfe is 4-0 in South Mississippi, going 2-0 at both the Coast Coliseum and Isle of Capri.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------