Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/26/2005 7:53am

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shadowcat, hang tough, it will pass. What you're experienceing is very common whith major life changes. You may not notice it, but many other students are going through a similar thing. The difference is that you're a national champion, they aren't. :icon_thum

It may take some time, but you'll adjust to the change and probably end up having a lot of fun there.

Try to start training again. I have a feeling training is very important for you in terms of your depression. If I remember right, you had some trouble finding a place to train. I'm assuming you went from some very intense training, to the national championships, and now you probably aren't training much. That's a huge change on top of everything else. If necessary, you might want to cross train in a different style, or maybe even take up a new sport altogether. But do your best to get some physical exercise on a regular basis. I think it will help you.
    :XXsunsmil

Hang in there champ!

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/26/2005 8:24am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I googled and came up with http://equinox.unr.edu/homepage/mikro/VITA.htm which is the cv of a psych prof who teaches JJ. Since you NEED to work out he might be a link to the ma community and being a psych might have some other ideas.

http://www.asun.unr.edu/clubs/karate/page01.html is a link to unr's karate club, shotokan. Is this one you checked out? They look friendly, who knows if they can fight.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/26/2005 8:30am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    shadowcat, bullshido is probably not the best place to come for help with depression. please don't worry if people respond negatively to your post.

anyways, i'll try to give you a little help. firstly, you have to realise that you might not need much to make you feel depressed - you probably have a chemical imbalance which will cause you to respond to things differently than other people. in this situation people can get incredibly depressed even when something good happens. so, you have to try and keep your mind as stable as possible.

here are some essentials to help do this:

1. SLEEP regularly. try to go to sleep and wake up at the same time every day.

2. EAT good food regularly.

3. EXERCISE. regularly.

4. TALK to friends and family often. you don't have to tell everyone how depressed you are; but simply talking about anything can help you keep a clear head.

5. get some sunshine. this might sound strange, but it is actually very important.

6. DO NOT TAKE RECREATIONAL DRUGS.

notice how many times i have said the word "regular"? you have to get a routine going.

now, you might actually find all these things very hard to do. you might not want to go outside and talk to people at all. you might just feel like curling up in a ball in a corner. but you have to try and think clearly - things aren't that bad, basically the problem is that your emotions are not working properly! it's as simple as that. you DO have something to be a bit upset about, but you shouldn't have to feel like you do right now.

you should be proud that you got off the medication, but if you can't seem to find your way out of this, you just might have to start taking the pills again. there is nothing wrong with that! better than feeling like a piece of **** all the time, isn't it? and you can always get off it again when you know everything is under control.

remember, this is a constant battle to keep yourself stable. don't be afraid to see a councilor.

don't drop your guard - and things will be fine.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2005 8:51am

Style: Brasilian Ju-jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Only working my ASS OFF I can get the right "sleepy" feeling. Not jogging, not walking, not some light or even moderate weightliftin will do.

Knee + Head = Black Eye * 2

Posted On:
    8/26/2005 10:49am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdog
    Shadowcat, hang tough, it will pass. What you're experienceing is very common whith major life changes. You may not notice it, but many other students are going through a similar thing. The difference is that you're a national champion, they aren't. :icon_thum

It may take some time, but you'll adjust to the change and probably end up having a lot of fun there.

Try to start training again. I have a feeling training is very important for you in terms of your depression. If I remember right, you had some trouble finding a place to train. I'm assuming you went from some very intense training, to the national championships, and now you probably aren't training much. That's a huge change on top of everything else. If necessary, you might want to cross train in a different style, or maybe even take up a new sport altogether. But do your best to get some physical exercise on a regular basis. I think it will help you.

Hang in there champ!
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to lawdog again.

Thanks for being the voice of reason lawdog (as usual).

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Posted On:
    8/26/2005 10:57am

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sometimes people need help. Samurai Steve could probably confirm this, but untreated depression is the primary cause of suicide. Granted, the drug companies will try to get anything listed as a diagnosis so they can make drugs for it, and many people with depression would probably do just as good with regular exercise, but it is serious enough to talk to a professional.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    8/26/2005 11:00am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It all boils down to this: you go on or you go under.

Don't think I'm being "tough" or anything here. I've been through hell for 3 years at this point with the same thing and I'm only JUST coming out of it. There's not much you can do, but find a real, live person you trust to talk to.

And keep walking. Go on, or go under. You do have that choice.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    8/26/2005 11:05am

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Moving is one of the most stressful things that a person usually has to do under normal circumstances. Depression entering college is a very common thing. I'd say take the time to do something that you like, follow the good suggestions on this thread, and it should pass.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2005 3:39pm

Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdog
    But do your best to get some physical exercise on a regular basis. I think it will help you.

Hang in there champ!

i completely agree with this. at one point in high school, i was depressed and thinking of suicide (i know i was a *****).

then i started to do some judo and tkd, and i kind of forgot about killing myself. i guess its the endorphins or something.

also, if you think you need to, find a psychologist. im not a fan of pills for this kind of thing, so just talk to a psychologist and see what they have to say.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/26/2005 4:30pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i guess i'll throw in my two cents. when i moved to school i had left all of my friends behind, i was the only person from my high school to go to the college i went to. and i knew no one, but thing is, you can't help but meet new people. and one place where i met a lot of my current friends is at the tae kwon do club at school. so as everyone has already said, join the judo or whatever martial arts clubs you can. you will get your exercise (endorphin highs!!) and meet a lot of people who are into exactly what you enjoy doing.
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast