Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

10th level Superlesson Grandmaster

Posted On:
    8/30/2005 11:27am

Style: Currently Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But flushing would entail more fluids entering the injured area, which you don't want , correct?
    Who, for Pete’s sake! Is opposing science? In fact, we want MORE science by CRITICALLY ANALIZING the evidence-Connie Morris, Kansas State BOE (bolding and underlining part of original quote, red is my emphasis)

As long as you try to treat your subjective experiences as if they were objective experiences, you will continue to be confounded by people who disagree with you.-some guy on an internet messageboard

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/30/2005 11:31am

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PO9
    But flushing would entail more fluids entering the injured area, which you don't want , correct?
    Oh, I see what you're saying. Sorry about that.

No, actually I think you do want BLOOD flushing the area. Swelling is bad, but increased blood flow is good. It promotes healing, so I'm told.

10th level Superlesson Grandmaster

Posted On:
    8/30/2005 11:56am

Style: Currently Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How do you increase blood flow without increasing swelling?
    Who, for Pete’s sake! Is opposing science? In fact, we want MORE science by CRITICALLY ANALIZING the evidence-Connie Morris, Kansas State BOE (bolding and underlining part of original quote, red is my emphasis)

As long as you try to treat your subjective experiences as if they were objective experiences, you will continue to be confounded by people who disagree with you.-some guy on an internet messageboard

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/30/2005 12:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PO9
    How do you increase blood flow without increasing swelling?
    I can't answer that from a physiological perspective, but blood flow and swelling are 2 very different things.

I assume that swelling takes longer to occur than the blood flush. The blood begins to flush through within minutes of removing the ice. I'm assuming that swelling takes closer to 20 minutes, thus 20 on 20 off.

In my experience, swelling is usually not an immediate occurence. Sometimes, it's hours after an injury.

It's also possible, I'm not sure though, that the flush of fluid (swelling) is also beneficial to the injury. I'm not as sure though about that.
    Last edited by lawdog; 8/30/2005 12:05pm at .

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    8/30/2005 2:09pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by loki09789

When, how often and how long did your track coaches/trainers advice you apply the cold treatments?
    Sore knees were generally for 15-20 mins in an agitated ice-water bath, depending on the person. Some people had very poor circulation and couldn't do it as long because they would chill their skin too much and be at risk for hypothermia.

Shin splints was closer to 10-15 minutes, and was paired off with rehabilitative stretches for the hamstrings, calves and ankles. But that's another topic entirely.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2010 6:25am

Style: MMA / BJJ / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After a really hard session of squats or deadlifts i fill my bath with cold water and i have 10 2 litre bottles of water frozen in the freezer which i throw in.

Instant ice bath and when i am done i just put the bottles back in the freezer.

I find it makes a huge difference to my recovery and would recommend it

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/28/2010 9:33am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This article implies that icing may not be all that good for you, healing-wise. Inflammation may be one of the bodies ways of healing, and might not need to be combatted. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...w-healing.html
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123