Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2005 2:22pm

Style: Escrima/Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ice/cold bath recovery

Does anyone use cold shower/bath's after work outs to help with muscle recovery?

I notice that pro sports training rooms have an ice bath as part of the standard equiptment and goalies usually end up using it if you watch the behind the scene stuff.

It makes sense if you think of it like using a giant ice pack to reduce swelling.

Work outs are really 'controlled damage' that stimulates improved performance but shouldn't cause so much damage that you really 'injure' yourself. If you look at it that way, cold treatment would be reasonable.

I just don't know how it would be used for the best results.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/25/2005 4:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by loki09789
    Does anyone use cold shower/bath's after work outs to help with muscle recovery?

I notice that pro sports training rooms have an ice bath as part of the standard equiptment and goalies usually end up using it if you watch the behind the scene stuff.

It makes sense if you think of it like using a giant ice pack to reduce swelling.

Work outs are really 'controlled damage' that stimulates improved performance but shouldn't cause so much damage that you really 'injure' yourself. If you look at it that way, cold treatment would be reasonable.

I just don't know how it would be used for the best results.
    I don't know if there's any point without swelling. I think that when there's no injury or other swelling, heat would be better.

I've done both, and the "polar plunges" always make me feel tighter. Heat after a good workout (shower or hot tub) makes my muscles feel much looser, which is a good thing.

I'd be interested to know what the goalies are using it for. I would imagine most of them have bad knees and probably have a lot of swelling after the games.

Good question though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2005 4:31pm

Style: TKD, western boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, hot water is used afterwards to loosen up the muscles.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2005 4:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdog
    I don't know if there's any point without swelling. I think that when there's no injury or other swelling, heat would be better.

I've done both, and the "polar plunges" always make me feel tighter. Heat after a good workout (shower or hot tub) makes my muscles feel much looser, which is a good thing.

I'd be interested to know what the goalies are using it for. I would imagine most of them have bad knees and probably have a lot of swelling after the games.

Good question though.
    Goalies are using it after games/practices regularly to reduce the 'ache' factor from lactic acid build up. I guess it is part of regular post work out training.

I have tried it heare and there and notice that I feel tight right after, but don't feel as much ache after a really hard work out the 'day after the day'

It would probably help to bring the body back to normal with a warm shower for a little while after, not a 'hot shower' just to rewarm the core.

Posted On:
    8/25/2005 5:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Generally, in sports massage, heat softens tight muscles. Cold reduces inflammation. Both increase circulation.
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/25/2005 6:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendetta
    Generally, in sports massage, heat softens tight muscles. Cold reduces inflammation. Both increase circulation.
    Most people don't realize that about circulation. I actually think cold works better for that than heat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2005 7:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdog
    Most people don't realize that about circulation. I actually think cold works better for that than heat.
    That is what the fitTV special claimed too. The cold "squeezed out the lactici acid" as well as reducing the swelling. I get the same tight feeling right after that isn't fun, but it does feel better over time.

Does anyone use the cold treatment regularly? If so how?

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    8/25/2005 8:52pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How about... hot... THEN cold...?

I know, crazy, huh?

PL

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    8/26/2005 2:59am

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What degree of coldness are we talking about here? Tt can't be the same as an ice pack, as I thought the whole idea for icing things like bruises was to slow circulation and promote clotting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2005 3:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeddy
    What degree of coldness are we talking about here? Tt can't be the same as an ice pack, as I thought the whole idea for icing things like bruises was to slow circulation and promote clotting.

The special on aches and pains for pro sports showed them actually using icewater in a jacuuzi type set up. 38-40 degrees! But that was for post injury/rehab therapy.

For me, I am NOT wasting the water bill to make enough ice for that crap.

What I have been doing is filling the tup with straight cold tap water (temp unknown - but it's summer so it is warmer that it woud be come winter) and turning on the jacuuzi for about 4-5 pages of a book...the book helps me get through the initial yikes factor. It probably isn't more than 15-20 mins.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast