Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/10/2007 5:03pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Lotus Self-Defense

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, Im a lotus self defense student in Abbevile, Louisiana. My instructor was trained by the founder and has been teaching for 35 + years around the world. Our class structure is very serious and is nothing like what has been described. I'm appauled at what I read about the structure of the lotus class in georgia. I'm here to answer any ?s and straiten out any misconceptions about the style. lotus is definately not a joke.

poser

Posted On:
    6/10/2007 5:16pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mingkalat
    Okay, Im a lotus self defense student in Abbevile, Louisiana. My instructor was trained by the founder and has been teaching for 35 + years around the world. Our class structure is very serious and is nothing like what has been described. I'm appauled at what I read about the structure of the lotus class in georgia. I'm here to answer any ?s and straiten out any misconceptions about the style. lotus is definately not a joke.
    THIS THREAD IS OVER A YEAR OLD. That usually means it's DEAD.

I'm bored, though, so I'm going to respond to your post:
    Class structure isn't the issue. The problem is that the style doesn't seem like anything that might be effective in a self-defense situation. Please explain what makes the stuff you learn effective.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    6/10/2007 5:27pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its not dead because someone came to the board with meaningful information. If he came in and said "YEA LOTUS SUCKSSS!!! LOL" Then it would be dead.

But it is now revived because we have useful info from mingkalat. This is a good thing.

So Ming, hopefuly the threadstarter sees this and comes back.

Do you have a link to the school? Any video of what you guys do? Do you guys spar regularly if at all? How would you sum up Lotus Kung Fu?

These are just a few of the questions most will want to know.

Posted On:
    7/09/2007 7:09pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Lotus Self Defense

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, oldman_withers, let me get this straight: you are a beginning student who admits you haven't practiced these styles, yet you feel compelled to judge them based on what you've read and a little TKD? And judge instructor's abilities based on what they look like?

I remember talking to you. Let me fill in the others on this list some of the things you did not mention. When I talked to you, you would not look me in the eye, and kept grinning to yourself as if you just thought of something funny. You had difficulty paying attention. I mention this now because apparently your judgement was impaired. Then you observed a beginning class, did not understand what you saw, but chose to remain ignorant. You could have asked a question, even as an observer. If you've never thrown a perticular technique (nor had someone throw it at you), you are not going to be able to judge its effectiveness. I remember that you made some weird noise, and the class stopped and stared at you. Then you apparently thought the class was over, and left early.

The classes at the recreation center are only $20 per student, per 15-week semester. That's less than $2 per student per lesson. Clearly teaching a class like this is no way to make money. Many of the instructors volunteer their time, to give back to the martial arts community. I'm not suggesting that you are cheap, but many other classes charge $20 per lesson. You could have easily enrolled in several different classes and tried them out, instead of watching (and not understanding) from the sidelines. In the class, there is often not enough time to practice everything. If you saw three different kicks taught in one class, that's actually a good amount of material. Of course, you would know that if you bothered to learn.

You could have participated, you could have learned something, but instead you chose to anonymously criticize what you don't understand. The styles you saw are just fine. The Bullshido lies with you.

Posted On:
    7/09/2007 7:17pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What makes the stuff in Lotus, or any other style effective? The only way is to experiment, and try it out. Most of us are not police officers, or in the military, so using it on the job won't happen. And even if you have a job where you could use a technique, you want to know it works before using it. The best we can do is sparring and one-on-one drills. But even that's not completely realistic, since there are always some techniques that you cannot do. Most tournaments won't let you do sweeps, for example.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/09/2007 9:04pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JUDO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The original poster is probably not coming back but I still wanna say 'thank you' since I'm planning to go to GSU myself.

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    7/10/2007 3:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi, Lotus_ATL. Would you be interested in attending (or even hosting) a local Throwdown, an ego-free sparring and training session with other martial artists?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/10/2007 3:15pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://lotusselfdefense.com/images/P...tingOwners.jpg

hrm??...knife fighting, wing chun trapping?

Posted On:
    7/10/2007 3:29pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't have any videos of training, though there is a gun and knife disarming video available at the website that someone posted above. It was made by a Lotus Self Defense black belt. My point about the sweeps is that there are always some techniques that are not allowed.

Posted On:
    7/10/2007 3:36pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thejutsu
    The original poster is probably not coming back but I still wanna say 'thank you' since I'm planning to go to GSU myself.
    GSU has a Judo program that you might be interested in. I've met the instructor, and have a lot of respect for him.

If you're looking for something new AND you're a serious student, try the Lotus class. Or there are also classes in Tai-Chi, Hapkido, Capoiera, Ho Shin Do, and Ju-jitsu. But judge for yourself.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast