Sponsored Links Spacer Image

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    8/25/2005 7:57am

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FingerorMoon?
    The book is well known.

I don't care about him one way or the other, I find it weird that so many people get off on making fun of him.
    From my experiences, it seems that normally it's the people who don't train and have no real idea of their own fighting abilities. Those people like to make dumb comments about others who step up, test their skills, and get beaten as a result.

X

Posted On:
    8/25/2005 8:03am

supporting member
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try to find a picture of what Ettish looks like nowadays...

It's hard, since in Google etc the joke sites get the top position...

But, 100% not joking, the modern Fred Ettish is a huge ass steroid monster MMA fighter. 100% not joking. Descriptively, I mean, don't know if he's actually done any roids, though it wouldn't be surprising...

& Of course even back in the days he stepped in the ring to test his style in a full contact NHB match; of course he no doubt noticed some slight 'faults' in it, but it's not like many people even today would do the same.

Martial mediocrite

Posted On:
    8/25/2005 8:43am

Join us... or die
     Style: Using bag as aggro outlet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know nothing about Fred Ettish, but good on him for using a relatively unknown art in the ring (Hapkido), one which was developed by a marvellous civilisation (the Koreans).
    What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

X

Posted On:
    8/25/2005 8:52am

supporting member
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry_Spastic
    I know nothing about Fred Ettish, but good on him for using a relatively unknown art in the ring (Hapkido), one which was developed by a marvellous civilisation (the Koreans).

Errrrrrrrrr.... I think he officially at least practiced 'Okinawan Kempo' or something like that... & whatever that means....

But I don't think he had anything to do w. Hapkido either way.

Martial mediocrite

Posted On:
    8/25/2005 8:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: Using bag as aggro outlet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My mistake
    What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/25/2005 10:32am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I found a piece by Ettish:
    http://nhbfights.com/fredettish.php?...from=&ucat=21&

Here's part of it:
    Greetings and welcome to my world.
    Labor day weekend, (Saturday the 4th of September) I had the pleasure and honor to judge a fight show in Brainderd, MN called "Cage Fighting Extreme (CFX). It was an excellent, smaller show with fighters from Canada, California, South Dakota, North Dakota, Nebraska, and Minnesota. I say smaller show, but I have recently discovered that the gate was around 1,000 people. Considering the small size and relatively remote location of Brainerd, that is quite a feat. This was the second show for CFX and I hope they continue with their promotion. Good people who treat the fighters, support staff, and fans top notch. Hats off to Jared, Brock, and their people.

The headline fight was Sean Sherk vs. Darren Brudigan. Many people have not heard of Mr. Brudigan, but he was 6 - 0 coming into this fight, having recently submitted Sam Morgan of Bison Grapling. This is no small accomplishment, especially for a relatively new fighter, as Sam is an excellent, well roundd fighter with a good record who has quite a bit of experience. Sean won early in the first round via side choke, but very early on, Brudigan hung in there and got out of what looked like a very tight arm bar that Sean appeared to have sunken in for quite some time. I don't know much about Brudigan, his training, specific strengthes/weaknesses, etc., but I applaud him for stepping up to fight one of the very best in the world in a weight class loaded with great talent. I wish him the best for his future.

This column, however, is not intended to deal with this one fight, or even this one excellent show. What I want to discuss here is Sean Sherk, who seemingly deserves to have a lucrative contract with one of the biggest shows but can't seem to get signed or re - signed.

There is much that the vast majority of us do not know or understand about promoting and running a show. We should admit that up front and not pretend to understand all the complexities and intricacies inolved, the finances, long term plans of particular promotions, relationships that exist or don't exist between promotions and fighters/managers, etc. Let's not delude ourselves into thinking that running a major promotion and dealing with fighters and managers is simple, or that everything is black and white. Despite our ignorance, however, we as fans, backers of this sport, and in no small way, the ones who pay a substantial portion of the freight by purchasing PPVs, tickets to live events, DVDs, gear, clothing, etc., do have a right to our opinions and to ask questions.

What really has me curious and a bit frustrated is, as I said a bove, why some, in this case I would like to talk about Sean Sherk, seem to be ignored and passed over despite exemplary credentials. I could throw in other "name" fighters, too, but I have not had the opportunity to visit with them as I have with Sean, so should probably ot comment on them at this time.

Let's take a look at what appears to be happening. Sean has fought in the UFC, losing only to the most dominant champion in UFC history, Matt Hughes. It was a hard fought decision loss, and although I do not know how the official judges scored it, if I remember correctly my very unofficial scorecard had Sean winning two rounds. Quite a bit of the three rounds that Matt won, again only in my opinion, he won very convincingly, and I know of no one, including Sean or his people, who argue the decision. At that time, it appeared to be by far the toughest defense for Matt. There is no shame in any loss where a fighter gives his/her best and in this case, on that night, two extraordinary fighters fought an epic battle and displayed talent, endurance, and heart, and Matt Hughes won.

Other than one draw, Sean has won all of his other fights, his record now standing at 27 - 1 - 1 (only slightly different from what Sherdog has listed, currently). This includes a quality win in PRIDE Bushido over a very skilled Ueyama and his only UFC loss being the above mentioned title fight with Hughes. Now that is a bit over a 93% winning percentage, and 96.5% of fights without a loss if you throw in the draw. He has finished his opponent in 19 of his victories, for a bit over a 70% finishing rate. Although I have not crunched the numbers, his rate of finishes has dramatically increased lately over what it was in the beginning of his career. Boring, you say?? I disagree. Victories and finishes, especially with the domination Sean shows, especially of late, is very exciting and entertaining from where I sit. Who has a more impressive record than this?

Why is it that someone with a record like that can only seem to get fights in smaller shows, yet others with much poorer records and vastly less experience get signed?

This is just part of the article, but you can see that he writes and thinks well. I also heard that he added ground to his training.
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 8/25/2005 10:44am at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/25/2005 10:43am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy
    I just had to give those fools a peice of my mind. . .
    Thanks Fluffy (Fluffy? and I thought I had a dumb online name!) for posting on their guest book. That site pisses me off no end.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    8/25/2005 11:57am

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Has anyone followed the thread from the Squatdog1 entry just before Pat's? The results are hilarious.

Just browsing the first few pages, I think these people need to step on the mat and experience the pains of training first hand. Then maybe they'd shut up.

On an unrelated note, I had to post this pic:

Pretty sure I posted it before, but I hadn't noticed the user name being used.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2005 2:08pm

Style: Shooto, Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is that a dog? It looks like one of those creatures from the Critters movies.

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with the name Fluffy. The babes on Shaolinwolf can't resist it :5bowtie:

And with regard to Ettish now, I'll just say that through defeat we learn to be great winners. By putting himself forward for a beating like that in 93 (or was it 94?), he learned and gained a lot more than the cowards who just sit at the computers, slagging him off for a defeat that happened MORE THAN TEN YEARS AGO!

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/25/2005 4:42pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the record it was Shorinji Kempo.....
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast