Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    8/24/2005 11:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The Truth Behind Fred Ettish and the Fetal Fighting Technique

Recently I picked up "No Holds Barred" by Clyde Gentry, a really good book detailing the history of MMA here in America. On of the most suprising parts is a chapter at the end where the author comes to the defense of the none other than Fred Ettish. After reading what really transpired up to and during his infamous fight at UFC II, I have a whole different outlook on the man.

Here are some of the things Gentry lays out in the book:

First, contrary to popular belief Ettish was not a point fighter. He had no interest in point tournaments and believed the UFC would be a better test for his art.

Secondly, Ettish only had two weeks to get ready for the event. He had applied for UFC II months ahead of time, but was told the card was full. Two weeks before the event Ken Shamrock broke his hand and the alternate Johnny Rhodes (the guy that beat Ettish) got added to the card. Ettish was then added as the replacement alternate.

Third, Ettish had less than ten minutes notice before he had to go out and fight. Being the alternate Ettish was not expected to have to compete, unless someone else dropped out. At the start of the show everyone was healthy and ready to go, so Ettish was asked to run errands backstage. He never even got to see any of the other fights that night. After winning his first fight, Frank Hamaker decided that the UFC wasn't for him and quit. His scheduled opponent, Johnny Rhodes, was about to quit too until he found out that his opponent had been to switched to Ettish, a much smaller man who barely had time to but on his gi before stepping into the Octagon.

Finally, the "Fetal Fighting Technique" was not indicative of Ettish's art, it was indicative of a helpless man. When he was on the ground Ettish was effectively blind, due to the punches Rhodes had already landed. With McCarthy not being authorized to stop fights, and too much pride to quit, Ettish simply took the beating.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/24/2005 11:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good post Punisher. He lost a fight. Check out http://ettishfetalfighting.8m.com/ettish2.htm, a site that gives him ****. Check out the guest book (and my comments - I also quoted you). What a bunch of fucking losers. He lost one fight. The phony fan assholes will always baa like the idiot sheep that they are. Meanwhile Fred trains and writes and goes on with his life. He did have the courage to "get it on."
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2005 11:57pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if this is the truth. then what is the lie? dont really know much about fred ettish.

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    8/25/2005 12:01am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The book is well known.

I don't care about him one way or the other, I find it weird that so many people get off on making fun of him.
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    8/25/2005 12:03am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good post. Never heard a lot of that.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/25/2005 2:06am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I've heard this story too. Fred Ettish has become an metaphor for great failure or great courage. I personally thought Fred deserves better than he did but I think he's faired well in his life in spite of it.

Amateur Fighter

Posted On:
    8/25/2005 6:00am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fred refs a bunch of events up here in the midwest, and is quite sreiously the nicest guy I've ever met. Fred is a stud, **** anyone that says different.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    8/25/2005 6:28am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isn't there some kind of online petition asking for Fred to be given another chance in the UFC ?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2005 6:31am

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that man Fred Ettish did fight in the early UFC only the second one. those early one's where great you didn't know what you where going to see next fighters stopped beating oppodents up before the ref jumpped in. BARBARRIC. that is interesting the story behind Fred that night. But I spose the show must go on.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2005 7:50am

Style: Shooto, Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just had to give those fools a peice of my mind. . .
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast