Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2005 3:21pm

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KING
    Amen to that!
    One of my favorite quotes is: "Before one can choose peace, one must first be *able* to choose [war]."

Mark

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2005 3:26pm

Style: AIKIDO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mjchip
    One of my favorite quotes is: "Before one can choose peace, one must first be *able* to choose [war]."

Mark
    Amen to that too!!! :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2005 4:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KING
    Amen to that too!!! :)
    So, where do you train?

Mark

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/24/2005 6:12pm

supporting member
     Style: MT, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some people need to get the **** off this thread. This **** has no relevance to a ki-warrior in Birmingham.

Posted On:
    8/24/2005 6:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

This thread is not a fucking e-dating service.

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    8/24/2005 6:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agreed. Sadly Birmingham is a long drive for me. Not that I have a good history of hiding my boredom when chatting aiki with aikidoka face-face.
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2005 7:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think we keep wandering off topic because there's a limit to how many times and ways people can say "there's no such thing as ki blasts"; and, we don't have anyone here egging us on by insisting that there are.

I've talked face-to-face with a couple of people at different times who seemed perfectly reasonable and objective but swore that their senseis could throw them without touching, by using ki projection.

Now, I can understand throwing yourself instead of getting slammed in the face if you know you're really going to get slammed, and I can understand falling because you brace yourself for an atemi that doesn't come so you lose your balance when the attacking arm suddenly veers over your head instead of into your face; but I have a hard time believing in ki blasts. But then, I have a hard time believing in George Dillman's stuff, too, so maybe I'm just too much of a skeptic for my own good. If only I kept a sufficiently open mind, maybe I could be ki blasting people right and left and dropping them where they stand.

Does anyone here have any leads on someone who says he uses ki projection and will allow visitors come try him out? It would be a nice twist on the usual dojo challenge.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2005 4:31am

Style: Muay Thai/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wer
    I think we keep wandering off topic because there's a limit to how many times and ways people can say "there's no such thing as ki blasts"; and, we don't have anyone here egging us on by insisting that there are.
    :toothy12:

I don't know if that makes sense, but it seems to me that by "training the feeling" in Aikido we develop our reflexes to the point where we open ourselves to these sorts of tricks.

In Muay Thai and boxing, in contrast, you get those instincts beaten out of you to the point where you're not supposed to blink if you see punches coming.

In Aikido however, we need to react to the slightest movement [bold]in anticipation[/bold] of the pain. For instance, in Kote gaeshi and Kaiten Nage the uke has to even "set up" for the throw. Theoretically if you don't move quick enough you'll injue yourself.

I think the magic Ki tricks may be applicable if you're training the above for 15 years.

I think all this, plus the whole "DO" thing, has given rise to the situation where resisting the technique is considered bad etiquette,

Example. I have been doing Aikido for a year and am a lowly 4th Kyu. However I've been training up to 6 hours a week, every week. My sensei won't let you get away with sloppy technique (the reason why I'm still doing Aikido). In the summer school I was practicing sankyo with a shodan. I went with the technique, went down and waited for the lock. But, he kept fumbling with my hand. After a while I got bored and wanting to show him that the sankyo lock was not on, started releasing myself from the lock. He let go and looked at me as if I was mad, and motioned someone else to uke for him.

I am not an instructor, and could not tell him that his technique was right or wrong.

But it's this attitude that drives me to despair.

- cod3r

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2005 4:41am

Style: Muay Thai/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wer
    I've talked face-to-face with a couple of people at different times who seemed perfectly reasonable and objective but swore that their senseis could throw them without touching, by using ki projection.
    I suspect that is way different than Ki blasts. I think that's "visualisation".

Example. Among all my other interests is mountaineering and climbing (I do neither very much/well OK? I live in the UK, no mountains innit).

In mountaineering when traversing, say, a ridge the height may get to the climber and the climber may "freeze" - too scared to move on, no way to back down. The trick is to visualise that your weight leaves from your shoulders, down your body and legs, to the ground. Your body reacts in a myriad ways to improve your balance.

I'm also a scuba diver (plenty of sea in the UK), and sometimes when faced with a difficult/complicated dive I visualise the descent, dive, and ascent. I mentally rehearse my buoyancy beforehand. My body reacts to that during the dive.

Both the above work - I've tested them personally. Now back to the no touch irimi.

It's supposed to work by "drawing" the uke's Ki past your center, and "redirecting" it back at him(her). I'm not saying that any magical powers are involved, but it might not be entirely unreasonable for it to work as a visualisation - your body reacts to it.

Any thoughts?

- cod3r

Posted On:
    8/25/2005 6:35am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cod3r
    :toothy12:

I don't know if that makes sense, but it seems to me that by "training the feeling" in Aikido we develop our reflexes to the point where we open ourselves to these sorts of tricks.

In Muay Thai and boxing, in contrast, you get those instincts beaten out of you to the point where you're not supposed to blink if you see punches coming.

In Aikido however, we need to react to the slightest movement [bold]in anticipation[/bold] of the pain. For instance, in Kote gaeshi and Kaiten Nage the uke has to even "set up" for the throw. Theoretically if you don't move quick enough you'll injue yourself.

I think the magic Ki tricks may be applicable if you're training the above for 15 years.
    There is some conditioning in aikido to take falls when technique hasn't been fully applied for safety purposes.

In this clip you can see what happens when uke doesn't take the fall on time (00.52).

I don't think falling before the technique has been fully applied is worse than tapping before you are put to sleep or your elbow needs surgery when "resistance is futile".

However, i don't think taking a fall because you are "Ki Blasted", even if you practised for 15 years, deserves the same consideration.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 910 LastLast