Posted On:
    8/24/2005 10:22am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigil222
    No such thing as ki blasts.
    No no no no no... Ki blasts may very well exist. There is just NO EVIDENCE that they exist. Just like God, Jesus, WMD, Bush's brain, and my ground skills, perhaps they exist, perhaps not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry_Sizzler
    is aikido pretty big in that area? i know some people from youngstown and they've all done aikido at one point (ex gfs family). one of them came to our club, but just to watch. she was 13 with a year or two of experience. i know, she sounds hot.
    She sounds hot???????????? Are you joking or a pervert?

and since I'm in edit mode, the post belowe me makes me sad...
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 8/24/2005 10:38am at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Professional Wrestler

Posted On:
    8/24/2005 10:24am

Style: Aikido-Kickboxing-Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kvetch
    I saw RR at the Abbe 50 years celebration of Aiki in the UK and his 'class' was a bs no touch irimi nage. We knew it was **** but still played along with some of the folk from my place doing exagerated pratfalls to pass the time. It would have been inappropriate to kick up a fuss with 800 students on the mat. I realise he has history but he came across as a fruit loop. It looked as though he had cribbed it off footage of Ueshiba when he was 90+ and his uke had to fall for him.

It's considered bad form and impolite to not fall for a Shihan when he tries to chunk you, regardless of what he does.

It's annoying. Last May, we (My instructor Ed Francis, David Barnett, and Terry Henrickson, and myself) visited T'au Chu Academy of Aikido to do a group work out with Dr. Riggs group. I was working with a Nidan who couldn't throw me with anything he tried, not that I was resisting, he simply wasn't breakimg my balance or extending through the techniques.

After a few minutes, Ed gave me the head nod that meant to throw myself, and I did so from that point on. I also got the tsk tsk sound from him when I didn't do Ikkyu "their way", which also wouldn't toss me.

Later, I recieved an invite to a seminar with some 8th dan whose name I didn't recognize and a reminder at the end that I was to do things his way while there regardless of my beliefs about it.
    "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
    -My three year old trash talking to me

"Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
    -The Honky Tonk Man

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
    -My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
    -Don Gwinn

Posted On:
    8/24/2005 11:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bil Gee
    What a wasted opportunity to get loads of publicity and recruit loads of new students. I and many on this forum would sign up immediately to study under him if he could demonstrate this skill against a "non-believer". It would be worth tens of thousands of pounds of advertising.

This is what makes "he doesn't care" not very believable.
    Not only that: Imagine what can be done with Randi's 1.000.000 $ Price in charity if he's not interested in the money.

For example.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2005 11:17am

Style: Aikido and other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter H.
    It's considered bad form and impolite to not fall for a Shihan when he tries to chunk you, regardless of what he does.

It's annoying. Last May, we (My instructor Ed Francis, David Barnett, and Terry Henrickson, and myself) visited T'au Chu Academy of Aikido to do a group work out with Dr. Riggs group. I was working with a Nidan who couldn't throw me with anything he tried, not that I was resisting, he simply wasn't breakimg my balance or extending through the techniques.

After a few minutes, Ed gave me the head nod that meant to throw myself, and I did so from that point on. I also got the tsk tsk sound from him when I didn't do Ikkyu "their way", which also wouldn't toss me.

Later, I recieved an invite to a seminar with some 8th dan whose name I didn't recognize and a reminder at the end that I was to do things his way while there regardless of my beliefs about it.

I'm not so sure that going along with it, whether they are a Shihan or yudansha or whatever, is such a good idea. I have been to countless seminars in my time and if my balance wasn't taken or the technique was ineffective I simply didn't move. I tend to be a prime target for visiting sensei/shihans as well (6'8", 270lbs), and the same rules apply to them; they either make it work or they look like retards. That being said, with the exception of only a few times, they have always been able to make it work. I think it is a poor attitude to have in aikido to humour people when their technique is obvious garbage (or BS, a la ki-blaster). We (Yoshinkan) also tend to do things the way the shihan/sensei instructs them (that's why we;ve traveled that far to go to the classes in the first place), but if the technique is suspect and they've given no good rationale as to why it should work when it's dodgy at best, then I (and others) simply ignore it. Good thing is that most of the people putting on seminars up this way are quality, so we rarely run into people KO'ing us with their ki...hell, we don;t even talk about ki....next time you are at a seminar you should just bust those guys up for kicks

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2005 11:53am

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigil222
    Only person that I've heard of to try aikido in mma is Jason Deluca. His site is aikidog.com if I remember correctly.
    HIs last name is DeLucia, and you got the site name right: aikidog.com

Quote Originally Posted by xingyifa
    I know some people think what delucia does isn't really aikido...i'll check it out for myself.
    Some people don't think any aikido done against real resistance is really aikido, by definition.

Maybe you should look at the opinion of people who have actually trained with him, instead of just people who've made up their minds without ever joining him on the mat:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8282

We would love to have you visit if you can manage to make your way up the coast to MA. And Sensei Jason would be happy to visit your dojo if you can get some folks together for a seminar; then you could learn for yourself how his aikido works against real resistance. The invite goes for any of you, not just xingyifa.

We don't do ki blast, though, sorry.

Wendy

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/24/2005 12:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ha ha ha! :toothy12:
    good post patfromlogan; that was a joke.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2005 12:38pm

Style: Boxing, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter H.
    I suppose there is the problem that genuine Shihan will have 40-50 years of hard MA experience and much of that in the medically unwise 1960s-70s (I believe that chiba taught without mats) i.e. their bodies will be wrecked and to even be on the mat may be against medical advice. Having reached the heights, they may be poor at accepting their physical and mental decline. It may nevetheless still be useful to be taught by them even if their physical demos don't cut it and it shouldn't (ki blasts excepted!) be taken as an opportunity to make them look old and foolish.

That said, you get a bollocking from my Shihan if you fall for him even after a serious operation.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    8/24/2005 12:44pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate to derail.

But do you feel the Aiki sympathy fall prevelant? The two experiences I had with Aikijutsu and Aikido had mixed results. Sometimes I 'went with it' politely, and sometimes I jumped into that stuff to keep from getting hurt with the technique.

Personally I freak the **** out in BJJ when I see someone jumping into techniques because they are not giving the proper resistance. By proper I mean appropriate. When first learning the technique your opponent shouldnt give any resistance. With lots of practice and later in the reps he should be giving maybe 50% resistance, and in sparring you get the 100%. But I NEVER want to see guys 'jumping into stuff', it gives that false sense of accomplishment and adds to the bullshido.

In Hapkido the techniques felt pretty real, but I was pretty green and not assertive enough at the time to call bullshit if I saw it. In Aiki I saw some bullshit, but again was respectfull not to say anything. These days I am the first one to call bullshit at anything I see.

I have a lot of old footage of O sensei, and some of the original guys. I see a lot of those 'phantom' throws that looks a LOT like projected ki. I am skeptical of course. As I watch them I think: either this guys is the real deal, or he has some mind control on all these idiots to make them fall down without even trying. Whatcha think?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2005 12:51pm

Style: Boxing, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wer
    Wendy,

I see that Jason is going to fight in the next Cage Rage in the UK September 10th. Is there any chance he might put on a seminar while here? I realise it may not be good timing (!) but cage fighting aikidoka would be a nice antidote to ki blasts!

http://www.cagerage.tv/

Btw: please let him know that his website is like pouring molten lead into your eyes - I can barely read it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2005 12:57pm

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wer

Some people don't think any aikido done against real resistance is really aikido, by definition.

Maybe you should look at the opinion of people who have actually trained with him, instead of just people who've made up their minds without ever joining him on the mat:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8282

We would love to have you visit if you can manage to make your way up the coast to MA. And Sensei Jason would be happy to visit your dojo if you can get some folks together for a seminar; then you could learn for yourself how his aikido works against real resistance. The invite goes for any of you, not just xingyifa.

We don't do ki blast, though, sorry.

Wendy
    Hey Wendy,

What is the location of your dojo? I would love to visit to watch or train in one of Jason's classes. I can also bring some of my students with me if that is acceptable. Likewise, you folks are always welcome to come visit us as well.

BTW, we're in Chelmsford, MA. I'm the chief instructor and we are affiliated with the USAF-WR/Birankai under the guidance of T.K. Chiba Shihan.

Best,

Mark
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 LastLast