solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    8/22/2005 9:49am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Muay Thai in NYC 8/20/05 "Best of the Best"

did anyone else go see this live, or watch the pay per view?

i was pretty disappointed personally...

it started an hour late, and then i had to suffer through a bunch of lame undercard fights (there was one decent undercard fight that ended in a KO.)

once the "circus freak" undercard fights were done, they had 4 thai vs. farang (non-thai) fights lined up.

i managed to watch the first two championship fights before i had to leave early to catch a train (like i said they had a late start, the bastards.)

it seemed to me that the thais were just toying with the farang fighters... they were striking at will and just avoiding all the incoming punches and kicks, but somehow the fights all went to the decision. it seemed to me that the thai fighters were told to not knock out their opponents and to let the fights go all 3 rounds.

so anyway, i missed the last 2 fights, and would like to hear about them if anyone saw the fights, or maybe someone captured the PPV and i'll get to watch them.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    11/24/2006 2:29am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Muay Thai in New York

I live in Bangkok -- there is a thread about me, called "Farang Ba" -- but I have a friend from New York who visited me and is now interested in learning muay Thai. Do you know if there is a decent muay Thai gym/instructor there?

Thanks!

Craig Wilson
    a/k/a "Farang Ba"

Posted On:
    11/24/2006 2:56am

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    not any muay thai gyms off the top of my head but there is a sanda gym in nysanda and there's an mma gym that does muay thai stuff, the sbgi new york affiliate, my own school.

Posted On:
    11/24/2006 11:57am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if your friend is serious about muay thai, and wants to train at a serious gym, then he should go out to coney island and train with vladimir bordin. vladimir produces fighters that go and compete professionally in thailand, and there is no one else that serious here in nyc: http://www.borodinsgym.com/

if your friend wants training that is more geared towards businessmen who want to train a bit, then there are several gyms that offer muay thai training for that purpose: 5 points gym, church st boxing gym, and a few others.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    11/27/2006 3:36am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MT in New York

I think he's in the second group -- wants to learn, I don't see him ever fighting -- but I'll refer him to those places. When I lived in New York, I trained and sparred some at Church Street, so I know that one -- sounds like a promising lead.

Thanks!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/27/2006 1:22pm

Style: Thai Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You gotta be kidding me, isn't Coban from NY? I'm sure there are other SERIOUS MT gyms.

Btw, Church Street boxing is pretty good, I trained with Chris Romulo for a week or so for one of my fights like 4 years ago and he was pretty good.

Posted On:
    11/27/2006 9:08pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, I don't follow -- what does Coban have to do with it?

I was referring to a friend in New York who wants to learn the basics.

And when I trained at Church Street, it was boxing, not MT -- as you can see on the thread called "Farang Ba", it is medically impossible for me to fight MT.

Thanks!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2006 12:32am

Style: Thai Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigFarangBa
    Sorry, I don't follow -- what does Coban have to do with it?

I was referring to a friend in New York who wants to learn the basics.

And when I trained at Church Street, it was boxing, not MT -- as you can see on the thread called "Farang Ba", it is medically impossible for me to fight MT.

Thanks!
    I referred to Coban when Ming Loyalist said that was the only serious Muay Thai gym in NY. I meant Coban trained people in NY so that was a possibility for authentic SERIOUS muay thai.

Posted On:
    11/28/2006 2:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok, so you got me interested and i tried to dig up some info on coban's classes, since i thought it odd that i never saw his students compete here in local fights.

from what i could google:

the website for his camp in UPSTATE ny, is down, and the only reference i can find is to his teaching 2 days a week out of renzo gracie's school, which seems to be really outdated, since i find no mention of him on renzo's site.

if his training camp does still exist, you should keep in mind that expecting someone from new york city to travel to upstate ny to train on a regular basis is absurd. almost no one who lives in the city drives a car, and it's hard enough to get someone to go to a different part of the city to train, let alone go outside of the city.

Posted On:
    11/28/2006 9:10pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Thanks

Thanks, Sherlock!

You're right -- it might make sense for somebody who wants to compete, but certainly for my friend (who just wants to learn the basics) going upstate is out of the question. I lived in the City for a few years, so I know all about people not having cars.

The other tips you gave are good -- and convenient -- and I've forwarded them to my pal already. I don't think we'll ever see him in the ring at Ratchadamnoen Stadium here, but I think he can learn enough and have a great time at one of the places in the City.

Next Tuesday is the King's Birthday, a major holiday in Thailand, and there will be muay thai matches throughout the country (as on any holiday). I'm fighting in Lopburi, about 2 hours northwest of Bangkok, as part of a tournament there for "Winter Carnival", but my match is amateur boxing, not MT. My opponent is a Thai paratrooper -- we've fought 3 times before: I won the first, he won the rematch, and the next rematch was a draw. So we're evenly matched, and it should be a good fight.

Thanks again for your help and advice.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast