Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/22/2005 1:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by punksurfer024
    jabs are a great way to set the shoot, opponent tends to block up opening waist line for a good shoot.
    That's correct, it works well for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by afronaut
    I don't think it has to be one or the other. Ali (not MMA, I know) used his jab to feel out opponents and for defense as well as to damage and set-up. A firm fast jab can do all of these things.

I.e. Quarry v. Sincain. Quarry's jab broke up Sincain's attack so he couldn't move in to land big shots or leg kicks. In addition to having his plan ruined, each time he got jabbed he was a little dented or swollen. Double-duty jab, which is what all the "boxing purist" folks say it should be.
    That's also correct. The jab is primarily a range finder, and a tool to keep your opponent at bay and create an opening. Even though it isn't usually a KO punch, it still needs to be dealt with, so by forcing your opponent to deal with it, you create other opportunities.

Also, don't forget the quickness of the jab, as well as the ability to throw it with less commitment. If you're only "swinging for the fences", you're overly commited when you shouldn't be. The jab is a good way to "feel your opponent out" while testing his reflexes and footwork. Also, If a wrestler is shooting in, it's a lot easier to sprawl while in the process of throwing a jab than it is while throwing a big right.

However, the jab can sting a bit and can inflict cumulative damage on your opponent, much like leg kicks. Not a fight ender, but potentially useful nonetheless.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2005 1:33pm

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The jabs one of my favourate punches - having done it over and over and over again in Kickboxing (both sparring and pad/bag work). When fighting in MMA gloves however, a snappy jab seems to shock my opponents, especially when you give 'em a good crack on the nose... although, anyone whose trained for a far while, will remain unaffected by a shot to the nose.

I do agree with that its under used - and now you've mentioned the Nate Quarry fight (not seen it yet) am gonna have to go and get that, cus he rocked on TUF and havnt seen him fight yet.
    Similarly though, i like to throw a lot more lead roundhouses to the legs of my opponents, and even that seems a little under-used

Posted On:
    8/22/2005 2:36pm

Style: LARPing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're a super good striker you can always try what igor does, a jab-right casting hook combo.

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    8/22/2005 6:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seems proper use of the jab is largely dependant on who you are fighting.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2005 7:34pm

Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    most jabs in mma are not boxing jabs. people like fedor like to jab, but they put power behind it. this is different from the boxing jab you use to feel out your opponent.

some strikers do a "traditional" jab, however. mirko crocop tends to throw a jab, wait for his opponent to back up, then throw a left leg round house. he has had a little success with that.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/22/2005 7:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know that my jab has always been one of my best punches, and I relied on it heavily when I was boxing. After getting into MA, I found that I could still use it effectively, but I don't throw it as often.
    In boxing , I liked to double up on the jab and then throw a right. I find now when I am sparring that I use it as both a range-finder and as a bit of a shock-tactic. A nice stiff jab will back up even the biggest of men. a good example of this in boxing would be a fight like Alex "The Destroyer" Stewart against Big George Foreman. Stewart lost this fight, but Foreman's face was a bloody mess at fight's end because he kept eating Stewart's jabs. He likely had thirty to forty pounds on Stewart.
    I guess the most important thing to remember about a boxing jab vs. a jab in MMA competition is make sure you have a follow-up attack in mind when you throw it. It is alot easier to just pop a jab out under boxing rules, then it is when you have to worry about the guy shooting for your legs.
    I have also found that a quick jab followed by a decent roundhouse to the lower leg is a nice little 1-2 as well. Keeps the guy off balance.HEH.

Martial and Sexual Artist

Posted On:
    8/23/2005 12:36pm

supporting member
     Style: standup to ground

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Easier to do more damage with mma gloves than boxing gloves. A jab wearing 4-8 oz grapplers can be more than a setup punch than its cousin in boxing.

We also tend to stand more square than a boxer does so we get more power out of it anyway.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/23/2005 3:42pm

Style: MT (no, not "empty")

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sh0t
    We also tend to stand more square than a boxer does so we get more power out of it anyway.
    Good point. Squaring up also makes it easier to sprawl/defendv aginst the shoot i think.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/24/2005 6:07am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my father was a professional boxer with over 100 pro fights. when i show him MMA fights he says "they can't box for ****!", "all power, no technique" and "they're just streetfighting... thrashing about". i try to explain to him why they can't just stand up and strike exactly like boxers but he doesn't seem to get it.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12