Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/21/2005 10:56pm

supporting member
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

the jab in MMA

I just saw a re-broadcast of a Nate Quarry fight. I'm sure it's due to my newness to UFC-watching, but is he once of the few guys who actually works a jab in an MMA match?

I know why it makes sense to eschew the jab for more powerful punches in MMA competition, but was really different to see a guy using one to slice up his opponent.

The jab in MMA: neglected virtue or neglected for good reason? Discuss.
    I dork harder than any of you can imagine.

- Hedgehoney

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    8/21/2005 11:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see jabs in MMA all the time. It's your 'newness'.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2005 11:58pm

Style: MT (no, not "empty")

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Watch the Gomi/Pulver fight for 2 guys who know how to use the jab.
    I think the jab is neglected. I like it because even if you miss you are still in good position to reset/sprwl etc. You can also do more damage with it in MMA than in boxing cause of the smaller glove.

OTOH Bas Rutten says he never jabs because it leaves you open to a shoot. I disagree.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2005 12:36am

Style: WT and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daigoro
    Watch the Gomi/Pulver fight for 2 guys who know how to use the jab.
    I think the jab is neglected. I like it because even if you miss you are still in good position to reset/sprwl etc. You can also do more damage with it in MMA than in boxing cause of the smaller glove.

OTOH Bas Rutten says he never jabs because it leaves you open to a shoot. I disagree.
    I totaly agree... it is neglected, but those fighters that know how to throw it and throw it well are much better off than those that cant.
    Liddel throws a jab as a counter punch and setup all the time it just looks like a lead hand cross cuz he can knock people out with it. Yet Chuck sprawls so well that it doesnt matter if they shoot on him. But Chuck is a freak when it comes to take down defense.
    Its odd that Bas said he never throws a jab because if you watch his pancrase fights or his instructional videos he uses them all the time usualy as an offensive setup rather than defense though.

OTOH fans of MMA like to see fighters throw big bombs all the time and not dance around the right peppering the faces of their opponents with jabs, maybe some fighters neglect the jab in favor of entertainment. Some MMA guys have been made famous for there tremendous losses due to the fact that all they throw is huge bombs.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/22/2005 1:43am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like to throw the counter-jab. Rarely will I use a leading jab. If I do throw a leading jab in an MMA match its a flicking one that comes at an upward angle. I've gotten into disagreements with other MMA coaches out there over this one. Their arguement is that jabs aren't that useful in MMA you would only use it as a feeling out process. I think that type of thought leads you to a bit onesidedness that prevented many people from throwing spinning techniques when now you're seeing them work.

Posted On:
    8/22/2005 9:01am

Style: BJJ/Judo/HapKiDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I have always heard was wrestlers will time your jabs and then eat one on the way into a takedown. This might be slightly dated though as most strikers can defend the takedown very solidly now. I would say if you are a straight striker with bad takedown defense the jab might be risky to use again and again, but if your wrestling/ground game is solid jab away.
    Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/22/2005 9:22am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden
    What I have always heard was wrestlers will time your jabs and then eat one on the way into a takedown. This might be slightly dated though as most strikers can defend the takedown very solidly now. I would say if you are a straight striker with bad takedown defense the jab might be risky to use again and again, but if your wrestling/ground game is solid jab away.

"traditional" jabs don't work. There has to be a bit ooomf in them and don't throw them in a pattern. 1-2 or 2-1 combo tends to work the best.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2005 10:00am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "On the street or in a boxing or Thai boxing match, a jab can be effective if your opponent knows nothing about wrestling or submissions. If you jab against a wrestler he will take you down, if you punch with power he has to block the punch, he can still take you down but at least there is a chance to KO him, which will not work with a jab. It is difficult; in order to hit somebody you have to close the distance, against a wrestler that can be the takedown.

For me even in striking I dont like to throw jabs, I like everything with power so that your opponent has to think about not getting KOd. It will open more ways to land your next strike. This is how I think, some disagree. "

- Bas Rutten

just a thought.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/22/2005 10:06am

supporting member
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think it has to be one or the other. Ali (not MMA, I know) used his jab to feel out opponents and for defense as well as to damage and set-up. A firm fast jab can do all of these things.

I.e. Quarry v. Sincain. Quarry's jab broke up Sincain's attack so he couldn't move in to land big shots or leg kicks. In addition to having his plan ruined, each time he got jabbed he was a little dented or swollen. Double-duty jab, which is what all the "boxing purist" folks say it should be.

You know, because it's so terribly easy to do we can call just do it now ready set go.
    I dork harder than any of you can imagine.

- Hedgehoney

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2005 10:14am

Style: vale tudo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    jabs are a great way to set the shoot, opponent tends to block up opening waist line for a good shoot.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast