Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2005 10:26pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its actually a pretty ligit place. except they lie about alot of stuff. and they dont teach that well. and they suck in general...yeah its a mcdojo.

Amateur Fighter

Posted On:
    8/21/2005 10:30pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tommy Lee, and the Guida brothers fight out of there don't they. Jay Buck too I think. I think they might also go by Hellhouse. I know Gilbert Grappling is named for Joey Gilbert, who is a real solid wrestler. I have no clue though how good his mma is, but looking at some of the fighters he has produced, I'd say he is a good trainer.

That being said, I have no idea about the UFC claims, nor shithead middle schoolers running their mouths. Perhaps its just dumbass students and not indicative of the entire school.

Posted On:
    8/21/2005 10:42pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why is there a Lidell vs. Couture advertisement on that site?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2005 10:52pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...pro fighters? This certainly changes the pitcher. Thanks for the info, Ender. Well, now I know where these kids are coming from. They've used the same urinal as these guys, therefore giving them their strength. But seriously, there are credible success stories. But now I'm curious about the normal students. Their site advertises MMA and JJ, but I'm assuming this is besides their wrestling focus. And looks like they're UFC-friendly, their online store is down but I've seen the shirts. Think I should still stop by for tea to see if their students live up to it?
    Last edited by AlexSchira; 8/21/2005 11:14pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2005 10:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Today I talked to a few people who've been there. A few trial students, a few former students, even a girlfriend who was dragged there to watch her other half so many times she knows when they load the candy machine across the street.
    Ender's mention about their performance at NAGA wasn't one of their bad days. I asked one of their former students about the MMA/JJ training. I found out they are a bit biased toward wrestling. Quite a bit, actually.
    Their schedule runs as such, three nights a week, three few pre-paid sessions a night running a couple hours each. The first session each night is wrestling only, and it's mostly just guys grappling the same guys to prep for the school team or tourneys. Teaching? Once in while one of their trainers may step in to show a technique to a group of bored kids. Then back to guys and their buddies hanging out and wrestling. Sounds pretty basic, but nothing to pry up floorboards for.
    Then I learned about their martial arts menu. The second two sessions each night are labeled for people learning jujitsu or their brand of MMA. Same people as last time, usually. Except now they sometimes work in UFC-xeroxed moves. Some just keep wrestling, mainly the vets who are here do their own routine.
    Training? This is it for the regulars. Three nights a week, bring some friends and crack a few dirty jokes. The well-advertised martial arts training is actually resigned to clinics. Clinics. Currently, none are scheduled. Once in a while, the regulars pay to come in and learn a couple tricks from Gilbert or one of the hired trainers/supervisors. He teaches a no-gi, yet 'street-ready' form of JJ. Well, he shows you a few moves and has you partner up. The same goes with MMA. A school-brand blend of styles that includes JJ, and... wrestling? They say boxing is in there, but none of my witnesses saw a punch thrown, let alone a combination. and wrestling. Lots of wrestling.
    Hence, the people at the clinic did in fact learn one to three techniques from a UFC fighter. Seminars. They learn, UFC fighting, from semi-occasional seminars. Let's all hold hands and pray for their souls. And their soon to be broken bodies.
    So, how much are the Non-Gilbert trainers qualified to supervise the usual gym-going? They have web-certification to teach the school's styles.
    These middle schoolers aren't learning from a UFC fighter. They're learning from the high schoolers. This isn't a bad system, thanks to social natural selection, a full-time gym like this wouldn't be that bad. That's how kids learn, from bigger kids A lot of good wrestlers in there. But what about the other martial arts they advertise?
    From what I've gathered, the pros do train there. Seperately from the students or as they call themselves, 'amatuers'. Gilbert's training those guys on a full-time basis and opening up to the youngsters with the open sparring nights and the rare seminar. Belts? Thankfully none, but that makes me worry about their nearly non-existant jujitsu. If it weren't for the scheduling and the UFC-milking, this would be a good wrestling gym. Why didn't Gilbert just do that? He's a wrestler, but a qualified teacher for other martial arts?
    Wrestling is good. So is bacon. But when you put chocolate syrup on bacon, it doesn't make it better by default. Trust me me on this, my girlfriend can't cook and I play with my food.
    Now. These accounts give me a slightly clear picture of what goes on, but I feel I have to get there myself before finalizing anything. Don't consider this a review, it's a collage of eyewitness accounts and interviews.
    And besides. Not one of the UFC preteens, or even the people I asked directly could give me their pricing. Most of them had their parents handling it. Yeah, I'm going in.

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    8/22/2005 10:10pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My biggest question would be what are their instructors Jiu Jitsu ranking and lineage. Sounds like they could be pushing crappling.

Noob: Reloaded

Posted On:
    8/22/2005 11:34pm

supporting member
     Style: MT nub, Ex-Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Become enraged like the Oyamahulk and make that little bastard tap!
    DIDN'T YOU KNOW?! The Chinese know everything! And they knew it 4,000 years before YOU did!

"Yes. Yes I am. I'm clearly illiterate and dictating this post to a squadron of several dozen trained jumping beans I've coearced into living on my keyboard, each named after a letter or character, which bounce up and down as I call their names." -JohnnyCache

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/23/2005 10:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...qualified? These guys are web-certified. Apparently their UFC sponsorship entitles them to skip the black belt scams. And belts all together, wrestling experience is the framework for their trainer hiring system as well, apparently.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    8/23/2005 11:03pm

supporting memberforum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is the record of one joey gilbert, of Chicago.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    8/23/2005 11:43pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So if they are indeed claiming to be teaching JiuJitsu with no real skill in the art, do they have an open mat policy? Find some purple belt to go in there and own their instructor rolling, and have him yell HELIO!!!! right after each tap. Get it on tape.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast