Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2005 6:28pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

'UFC' School

Anyone in the Chicago area suburbs here about a place called 'Gilbert's Grappling'? Supposedly named for a guy in UFC?
    I have. Every, freakin', day.
    Every little bony kid in a size small wife beater shirt brags about how they train there. They actually claim to be seasoned UFC fighters at age twelve to fourteen. I work with kids, and I'm pretty patient with them and haven't tried to argue with them. Until I mentioned I was a boxer. Some little twerp who looked like Hilary Swank told me he could kick my @$$. I was telling these kids how boxing gloves work, and he says Gilbert's Grappling taught him boxing and he could kill me. Not trained him, taught him. Like I taught my girlfriend how to spit off the balcony, ten-minute instant-expert. He continued to lecture me on how Gilbert's made him a state wrestling champ. And they taught him every martial art they offer. I'm guessing a Cardinal Fitness went bunk and some old gym teacher bought the last name of a UFC fighter.
    Mcdojo? It's not a martial arts school, their students refer to all other schools as weak. They really get into UFC merchandise judging by the kids' shirts. I can't find a website for the place, even on their tee shirts. Anyone hear of this guy, this school, or of a way to find this place? There's a possibility it's a good school, and this group of kids is just cracked. Heck, every boxing gym I've ever set foot in had a ten year old making faces in the mirrors. Alone, mom and dad dropped him off every day for four hours. Talk about bad daycare.
    Enough of that, anyone know this place or chain? This is one weird first post on a forum, I'll put up my n00bie flag just in case.

Posted On:
    8/21/2005 8:46pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds seriously like their milking UFC for all it's worth. Definite McDojo but from your description not Bullshido. Thanks for your input though! Sounds like it's full of hormonal teenagers who think their all that and I'll add it to my list of schools never to attend.

Posted On:
    8/21/2005 8:57pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can get any hard evidence that they're throwing around the UFC's name without proper licensing, please share it with us and we'll make sure it's looked into. I imagine Zuffa wouldn't appreciate their brand being used without permission.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    8/21/2005 8:59pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They have NO web presence that I can find. We're gonna need a local to check it out.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Posted On:
    8/21/2005 9:03pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isn't Alex a local? Can't he just take pictures and get brochures or something?

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    8/21/2005 9:05pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any of the Ninjas wanna volunteer?

PL

Not Enough Weight

Posted On:
    8/21/2005 9:34pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They came to the NAGA Chicago tournament in may last year. Decent wrestling, I think (although I was pretty new myself at that point, so I can't be sure), but no real submission skills.
    "Even if one's head were to be suddenly cut off, he should be able to perform one more action with certainty."
    -Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2005 9:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a semi-local. I'm a Chicago-goganite or whatever Daley wants us to call ourselves. I work out in the suburbs though, and may take a day to check this place out. I'd guess if if they bought a UFC fighter's name they'd go as far with the actual brand, but you never know. And I will definitely get pictures, you guys gotta' see this. What age group were the students at the NAGA? From what I'm seeing it's mostly junior high kids.

Not Enough Weight

Posted On:
    8/21/2005 10:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    These guys looked like high schoolers I think (I was only seventeen at the time myself). They preferred to wear wrestling shoes, and competed exactly like straight-up wrestlers, all power. One of them got RNC'd and it must have triggered his gag reflex, because he puked all over the mat.
    "Even if one's head were to be suddenly cut off, he should be able to perform one more action with certainty."
    -Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Not Enough Weight

Posted On:
    8/21/2005 10:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, www.gilbertgrappling.com. Do your homework.
    -Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast