Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2009 12:34am

Style: Judo, BJJ, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Dan - which of these techniques are legal under common organizational rules - have you been able to pull off any in sparring?

With this sort of thing, it seems like the techniques are usually either actually useless, or genuine harmful techniques (think illegal techniques from judo still in BJJ and Sambo). I'm curious as to who the instructors were and if they gave you a purported lineage for the techniques?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/22/2009 6:15pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DansMuayThaiMMA View Post
    When I was out training in Thailand, my trainers showed me some Muay Boran techniques. A lot of them are not allowed in competition now, but some are tricks that you can still get away with... for example, if someone has the plumb position you can grind your forehead against theirs to get them to break hold. Pretty cool stuff.

I hate to tell you but that is not any mind blowing trick. We did the same thing when I played rugby in college and if you don't figure it out when you wrestle then you are in the wrong sport.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2009 3:56am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kid Spatula at risk of thread necroing... I would guess the reason that some throws are not legal in Muay Thai Competitions is possibly due to the spectator aspect. A stand up fight where wins are determined by knockouts or techniques that are very easy to see such as punches and kicks is sometimes seen as more appealing than matches that go to the ground and where a win can come from a very small technique such as a arm lock which can be harder to see for the spectators.

The size of Muay Thai as a sport is due in part to the fact it is exciting to watch and thus bet on.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/11/2009 12:28pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay boran

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kikkoman893 View Post
    "Muay Boran
    Muay Boran is the predecessor to Muay Thai, hence the word Boran which means ancient. This Thai fighting style developed over thousands of years but its origin is unknown. It was develop as a self-defense system to defend against Burmese invaders. This ancient art compose many techniques from different style within various tribes in different regions of Siam (now known as Thailand.) It incorporates not only striking techniques but also locking, throwing, submission holds, choking, and blows directly to pressure points. Ancient Thai warriors taught in this art are also strongly influence with the Buddhist way of life. An essential part of their training includes meditation and performing spiritual ceremony ritual called the “Ram”. It is meant to focus the mind and to pay homage to the gods and the spirits of their ancestors. Apart from uses in warfare, Muay Thai was considered an activity for fitness training and competition. "

from www.tonyjaa.org

No gods, its only ancestors and their teachers(Kru)
    This will tell you about muay thai styles
    http://www.ancientmuaythai.com/styles/muay_thai.htm
    Last edited by sapherosth; 10/11/2009 12:47pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2009 2:39pm

Style: Sanshou/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula View Post
    On another forum there's been a bit of a debate over martial arts vs. combat sports (common debate, I know). One of the arguments brought up was that muay boran, being the more traditional and kung fu like, with it's one hundred additional moves, is the more deadly predecessor to muay thai. It was stated that these 100 additional moves were taken out because they are "too deadly for the ring". My thoughts on this are that muay thai (at least until fairly recently) consisted of very dangerous strikes including downward spikey elbows to the top of the head and knees to the face. It would be my GUESS that the 100 extra moves were removed simply to make muay thai training more efficient, and that the additional moves have survived over time largely due to traditionalist sentiments of the thai people.

Any thoughts, or info on this subject? I really don't know much about the history or evolution of muay thai, so if anyone could provide some resources on the subject I'd be really interested to read. Thanks.
    I'm not to sure about the differences between sport muay thai and muay boran but donnie b. is a muay thai instructor that has videos on youtube about the differences between spot muay thai and muay boran heres a link hope it helps YouTube - Donnie B: Old Style Muay Thai Attack Techniques

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    10/11/2009 3:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TxSanshou, you've been a member here long enough now to know how to use the search function. Please do so in future.
    How effective are the Old Muay thai kicks - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

Donnie B is basically a regular Muay Thai coach, who decided that he could make himself more special by changing the name of what he was doing, and talking about the deadly.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/05/2009 11:53pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Freestyle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sure that some techniques have been taken out because they don't work but there of course are gonna be some techniques that were too dangerous too dangerous for the ring. Similar to how in karate they take out techniques like eye gouging and the spear hand(which can actually be effective but i wouldn't risk trying it lol).

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    11/06/2009 12:07am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kistrael View Post
    Smells a bit like too deadly, but what I've read were mostly about knees to face. Basically more like an unrestricted Muay Thai. But you'll be extremely lucky to find a Muay Boran school, even in Thailand,
    In addendum Kidspatula's point* about downward elbows, as recently as the 1930s Muay Thai still allowed headbutts and groin strikes full on fucking nut shots.

In the face of that, the Muay Boran stuff always struck me as bollocks. There may be something to it, who knows... But old school MT had plenty of deadly to go around, and they didn't attempt to "clean up" the sport until comparatively recently (it is one of the only martial arts that can genuinely claim to be millennia old).

Edit: *A point which was made almost five years ago.. ****!
    Last edited by Lu Tze; 11/06/2009 12:12am at .

Posted On:
    5/06/2011 11:33am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if u did ur research u would know that muay thai boran is considered a deadly art because it was used by warriors to fend off invaders of there country! also many fighters have died in fights due to the ropes that the fighters would were which would cut open there opponents, also traditional muay boran comes with a berrage off attacks. competition thai fighting is the more water down version of muay thai as there emporer tried to make it so there were less deaths in matchs also implementing the use of gloves instead of ropes!!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2011 12:07pm

Style: G-safe Krav Maga / TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thread necro? Check.

First post ever? Check.

Too deadly for the ring? Check.

Classic!
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast