Posted On:
    8/23/2005 4:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=The Bad Place]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    So are you saying that the techniques in muay boran not being used in modern muay thai is due to the level of expectancy?

no, i'm not...it was a very general comment.
    Here is an example of what I mean: A shot to the throat against someone with their hands up in a gaurd, their muscles taught and their chin down can mean **** all... thus if you use sport outcomes to mesure its validity it might be considered a low-percentage move...yet against someone who is bored, distracted and relaxed its mean and nasty....

that doesn't really sound like self defence... more like being a jerk... I mean if they're not ready for a fight, they're obviously not much of a threat right? I don't understand the reasoning behind techniques meant for the unprepaired... it's like training for the best case scenario don't ya think?

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    8/23/2005 4:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sh0t
    I was arguing with somebody yesterday about what Evil Asia has called "Movie Thai" versus Muay Thai as I know it. Apparently they thought what they saw on screen was what one might see at a kickboxing event. I liked Ong Bak as a movie but , on-screen fighting wise, it wasn't much different from any other martial arts movie.

I I'm very curious as to what else was encorporated into the Thai fight training when training for Muay Thai competition wasn't the focus.

Coolest thing about Muay Thai is the sexy shorts

http://www.fairtexgear.com/html_docu....asp?cat_id=13

The garb for mma competition hasn't quite caught up, style wise
    Tony Jaa's muay thai is too deadly for the ring, which is why he's a movie star and not a pro thai boxer.

Genius

Posted On:
    8/23/2005 6:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To answer your question, Kidspatula, I've learned throws, breaks and sweeps that are not allowed in the ring from one of my Muay Thai instructors.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    8/23/2005 8:30pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=Kidspatula]
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bad Place

that doesn't really sound like self defence... more like being a jerk... I mean if they're not ready for a fight, they're obviously not much of a threat right? I don't understand the reasoning behind techniques meant for the unprepaired... it's like training for the best case scenario don't ya think?
    I read it more like in a battle. In sports the bell lets you know to get ready, chin down, etc...

In a battle you have alot more going on. You have a weapon in your hand, you may be half awake on guard duty, you may be fighting one guy and another clips you from the side. War is hell remember.

I can easily come up with alot of stuff that could have been removed. All the chokes, all the groin kicks, all joint locks, all the disarms, all the multiple attacker stuff, all the dancing and exorsising demons.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    8/23/2005 8:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaiboxerken
    To answer your question, Kidspatula, I've learned throws, breaks and sweeps that are not allowed in the ring from one of my Muay Thai instructors.

ah I see, so the muay thai you learn is one of those "complete systems". Cwazy

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    8/23/2005 8:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=Dr._Tzun_Tzu]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula

I read it more like in a battle. In sports the bell lets you know to get ready, chin down, etc...

In a battle you have alot more going on. You have a weapon in your hand, you may be half awake on guard duty, you may be fighting one guy and another clips you from the side. War is hell remember.

I can easily come up with alot of stuff that could have been removed. All the chokes, all the groin kicks, all joint locks, all the disarms, all the multiple attacker stuff, all the dancing and exorsising demons.

But in a battle your opponent is going to be ready to fight as well, don't ya think?

Posted On:
    8/23/2005 9:03pm

Style: required field? wotsthat?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    kidspatula 'combatives' does not have to imply self-defence... hell lol i'm typing this and i'm not even a 'combat style' nut..I just like to explore the validity of the various martial traditions.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    8/23/2005 9:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bad Place
    kidspatula 'combatives' does not have to imply self-defence... hell lol i'm typing this and i'm not even a 'combat style' nut..I just like to explore the validity of the various martial traditions.

I'm not saying you're saying anything (or maybe I am), but I still think it's just being an asshole to attack someone who isn't prepared for a fight

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    8/23/2005 9:32pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=Kidspatula]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr._Tzun_Tzu

But in a battle your opponent is going to be ready to fight as well, don't ya think?
    True, but you gotta be ready for alot of things, in the ring, you only have to be ready for the fight itself. Assuming we are talking old style combat, no guns.

If you are in a battle, you cann't just keep your chin down and your guard up, you gotta look around, run, swing your weapon, give orders, listen for orders, fight more than one attacker at once, stop to eat, ****, etc...There would be many more options for some unorthidozed moves like a throat strike, which was the example.

and battle is all day everyday durning a war. You can be surprized at any time. Maybe you are cleaning the camp toliet and someone sneaks in and chops you in the back of the neck to take you hostage. or you realize they are about to do something and you turn and strike first, catching them mid-sneack attack.

In modern Combat, hand to hand implys to close to use the weapon. If you are going building to building with your M-16, and you bump into a bad guy around a corner, it would be quicker to just chop his throat or grab it and crush it then to try and back up to make room for your M-16. He may be in Combat mode too, but not in Boxing mode, chin own, hands up in guard.

Ofcoarse you may die trying to!! Thats a soliders job, unfortunately.

but I think the moves removed for the ring where just extra stuff and not neccesary for the sport, brutal stuff maybe, or stuff that would prevent a fighter from staying as a Pro.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    8/23/2005 9:59pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dunno about this whole H2H combat thing in battles. Seems to me like if you lose your weapon, you're ass is grass regardless of knowing some karate chops.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast