Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/23/2005 2:31am

Style: required field? wotsthat?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The following is a ‘bad place’ generalisation: It seems that ‘combat’ styles are more likely to include techniques that are low percentage against committed fighters who are aware of the techniques they are up against. Such techs are often very useful for catching the initiated by surprise, quickly…If that seems retarded, have a look around at what has often been taught as military combatives. NOTE THIS POST CITES NO SOURCE AND IS MERELY A FEELING I HAVE BEEN GETTING FROM DISCUSSING AND EXPLORING MARTIAL ARTS and also i've not seen Muay Boran in my life.
    Last edited by The Bad Place; 8/23/2005 2:33am at .

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    8/23/2005 2:49am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bad Place
    The following is a ‘bad place’ generalisation: It seems that ‘combat’ styles are more likely to include techniques that are low percentage against committed fighters who are aware of the techniques they are up against. Such techs are often very useful for catching the initiated by surprise, quickly…If that seems retarded, have a look around at what has often been taught as military combatives. NOTE THIS POST CITES NO SOURCE AND IS MERELY A FEELING I HAVE BEEN GETTING FROM DISCUSSING AND EXPLORING MARTIAL ARTS and also i've not seen Muay Boran in my life.

So are you saying that the techniques in muay boran not being used in modern muay thai is due to the level of expectancy? Hmm.. sounds iffy to me. I mean as far as "the battlefield" goes, it seems to me that it'd make more sense to make every move count, rather than the potential advantage of someone not expecting you to pull some zany low percentage attack. As far as the military combatives thing goes... I guess I don't really know enough personally, but the concensus seems to be that modern military doesn't usually stress H2H combat terribly seriously anyway.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    8/23/2005 2:51am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaiboxerken
    I've learned plenty of "not for ring" Muay Thai.

Like what? Just curious (unless you're being sarcastic, in which case I apologize for being a dumb ass)

HONEY BADGER!

Posted On:
    8/23/2005 4:46am

Style: Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    What's the difference between hip throws and the takedowns commonly seen in muay thai competitions?
    All hip and shoulder throws are barred. These pictures will explain everything about throws:

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/23/2005 5:07am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look down to the bottom of this page for my post on this subject. The many styles of Muay Thai.
    "The next one I will take will pay for my loss. Someone has to pay!" ~ The Axe Murderer

Posted On:
    8/23/2005 7:33am

Style: required field? wotsthat?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=Kidspatula]So are you saying that the techniques in muay boran not being used in modern muay thai is due to the level of expectancy?

no, i'm not...it was a very general comment.
    Here is an example of what I mean: A shot to the throat against someone with their hands up in a gaurd, their muscles taught and their chin down can mean **** all... thus if you use sport outcomes to mesure its validity it might be considered a low-percentage move...yet against someone who is bored, distracted and relaxed its mean and nasty....
    Last edited by The Bad Place; 8/23/2005 7:39am at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/23/2005 9:12am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BatRonin
    Also saw a MT guy kick another guys leg clean off the body with a low round kick.
    you mean like this?

soccer is t3h d34dly.

...please forgive me for that.

Posted On:
    8/23/2005 9:39am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BatRonin
    That's nothing, I once saw a TKD guy cut another guys head clean off with a spinning hook kick.

Also saw a MT guy kick another guys leg clean off the body with a low round kick.
    Yes, and as a testament to their toughness, both opponents kept fighting, despite their injuries.

I heard the one guy actually picked up his own leg and threw it across the ring at the other guy, scoring the only recorded flying kick KO by a one-legged man.

The headless guy is rumored to have picked up his head and headbutted his opponent, knocking him, resulting in a disqualification just before death. He died without honor.

-daGorilla

Martial and Sexual Artist

Posted On:
    8/23/2005 10:22am

supporting member
     Style: standup to ground

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was arguing with somebody yesterday about what Evil Asia has called "Movie Thai" versus Muay Thai as I know it. Apparently they thought what they saw on screen was what one might see at a kickboxing event. I liked Ong Bak as a movie but , on-screen fighting wise, it wasn't much different from any other martial arts movie.

I I'm very curious as to what else was encorporated into the Thai fight training when training for Muay Thai competition wasn't the focus.

Coolest thing about Muay Thai is the sexy shorts

http://www.fairtexgear.com/html_docu....asp?cat_id=13

The garb for mma competition hasn't quite caught up, style wise

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    8/23/2005 4:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ah hah so there are some throws that are ok but not hip and shoulder throws... do you know the reason for this?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast