Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/21/2005 8:42pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Has anyone here in the Bullshido community trained in Muay Boran at all?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2005 12:02am

Style: ehhh

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Muay Boran
    Muay Boran is the predecessor to Muay Thai, hence the word Boran which means ancient. This Thai fighting style developed over thousands of years but its origin is unknown. It was develop as a self-defense system to defend against Burmese invaders. This ancient art compose many techniques from different style within various tribes in different regions of Siam (now known as Thailand.) It incorporates not only striking techniques but also locking, throwing, submission holds, choking, and blows directly to pressure points. Ancient Thai warriors taught in this art are also strongly influence with the Buddhist way of life. An essential part of their training includes meditation and performing spiritual ceremony ritual called the “Ram”. It is meant to focus the mind and to pay homage to the gods and the spirits of their ancestors. Apart from uses in warfare, Muay Thai was considered an activity for fitness training and competition. "

from www.tonyjaa.org

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    8/22/2005 9:08am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    On another forum there's been a bit of a debate over martial arts vs. combat sports (common debate, I know). One of the arguments brought up was that muay boran, being the more traditional and kung fu like, with it's one hundred additional moves, is the more deadly predecessor to muay thai. It was stated that these 100 additional moves were taken out because they are "too deadly for the ring". My thoughts on this are that muay thai (at least until fairly recently) consisted of very dangerous strikes including downward spikey elbows to the top of the head and knees to the face. It would be my GUESS that the 100 extra moves were removed simply to make muay thai training more efficient, and that the additional moves have survived over time largely due to traditionalist sentiments of the thai people.

Any thoughts, or info on this subject? I really don't know much about the history or evolution of muay thai, so if anyone could provide some resources on the subject I'd be really interested to read. Thanks.

LOL sounds like alot of TALKING OUT THE ASS going on there.

Next time they say 100 Techs were taken out ask them to name them. :violent5:

Even though I love ONG BAK as well pple need to remember that it was MT (MOVIE THAI) and thus looks better than it does in real life.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/22/2005 9:49am

supporting member
     Style: BALEETED

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kikkoman893
    "Muay Boran
    Muay Boran is the predecessor to Muay Thai, hence the word Boran which means ancient. This Thai fighting style developed over thousands of years but its origin is unknown. It was develop as a self-defense system to defend against Burmese invaders. This ancient art compose many techniques from different style within various tribes in different regions of Siam (now known as Thailand.) It incorporates not only striking techniques but also locking, throwing, submission holds, choking, and blows directly to pressure points. Ancient Thai warriors taught in this art are also strongly influence with the Buddhist way of life. An essential part of their training includes meditation and performing spiritual ceremony ritual called the “Ram”. It is meant to focus the mind and to pay homage to the gods and the spirits of their ancestors. Apart from uses in warfare, Muay Thai was considered an activity for fitness training and competition. "

from www.tonyjaa.org

Damn those invading Burmese!!!!! :viking:

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    8/22/2005 10:36am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
    Has anyone here in the Bullshido community trained in Muay Boran at all?

I trained with a some guys who learned it in Italy, part of the IMBA group. http://www.muaythai.it
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

HONEY BADGER!

Posted On:
    8/22/2005 10:44am

Style: Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Muay Boran has hip throws. They are barred in modern MT competition and thus not trained....

Genius

Posted On:
    8/22/2005 11:59am

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've learned plenty of "not for ring" Muay Thai.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." – Voltaire.

Posted On:
    8/22/2005 12:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danno
    i saw a fight in aus a few months ago where someone lept in the air and came down with an elbow, cutting open the top of his opponents head.
    That's nothing, I once saw a TKD guy cut another guys head clean off with a spinning hook kick.

Also saw a MT guy kick another guys leg clean off the body with a low round kick.

HONEY BADGER!

Posted On:
    8/22/2005 12:10pm

Style: Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BatRonin
    That's nothing, I once saw a TKD guy cut another guys head clean off with a spinning hook kick.

Also saw a MT guy kick another guys leg clean off the body with a low round kick.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    8/23/2005 1:44am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by king of seals
    Muay Boran has hip throws. They are barred in modern MT competition and thus not trained....

What's the difference between hip throws and the takedowns commonly seen in muay thai competitions?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast