Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/30/2004 3:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

KunTaw?

Anyone studied this art? From the little I have seen its more akin to some sort of silat or kali art. Some martial art history researchers has lumped KunTaw together with Kuntao, Kun tau related arts. For those who arnt aware "kuntao" is a generic term for martial arts found in Indonesia that are based in Chinese arts mixed with silat. Over time they (in particular the older kuntao arts) have little resemblance to kung fu (but neither exactly resemble silat either). Its more like a art with ist own flavour. Now I'm wondering does "kuntaw" really have kung fu influence as some speculates??? What is kuntaw really?

http://www.nmc.edu/~bsmith/
    "Maharlika: (original name of the Philippines) free/royal; Kun: fist; Taw: way of; Maharlika Kuntaw - Way of the Royal Fist or Filipino Art of The fist

These fighting skills come from many different areas of the Orient. However, the three main cultures which Kuntaw was derived from were India, Indonesia and China. India gave the arts of weaponry and sword fighting, Indonesians provided snake-like grappling and striking techniques, and forceful kicks and blows were brought by Chinese people. The three main Filipino Arts which Kuntaw is comprised of are: Buno (Philippine Wrestling), Sikaran (Kicking Art) and Bugtongan (Philippine Stick Fighting System). While these arts are inherently Filipino, they were first influenced by non-filipino fighting styles."

http://www.black-eagle.org/kuntaw.htm
    "Kuntaw is one of the oldest fighting systems in the Philippines. It is reportedly from the Sulu archipelago but has since worked its way North to other islands. It is a fighting system that utilises all the natural weapons of the body, such as hands, elbows, knees and feet. The hands are used for parrying, striking and grappling while the legs are used for lowline kicks and off-balancing sweeps and takedowns. The techniques all focus on evading and redirecting the energy of attacks, a common principle in many Chinese styles (which may have influenced Kuntaw somewhat). "

AKAKTK

Posted On:
    12/04/2004 2:25pm

Style: Liu Seong Gung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    a stone's throw...

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/04/2004 2:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Firearms, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think there was a chapter about Kuntaw in Mark Wiley's Filipino Martial Culture. I'd go dig it up bit I can't find it. I seem to remember it looked like a combination of Dumog, Panantukan and Pananjakman to me. Could be wrong though.
    "We spoke to them in the only language they understood: the machine gun"

Posted On:
    12/04/2004 2:38pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by IndoChinese
    a stone's throw...

What do you mean Dude?

I nevered tried the art myself but wouldnt mine somewhere in the future. Have you tried it yourself?

Posted On:
    12/04/2004 2:41pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye
    I think there was a chapter about Kuntaw in Mark Wiley's Filipino Martial Culture. I'd go dig it up bit I can't find it. I seem to remember it looked like a combination of Dumog, Panantukan and Pananjakman to me. Could be wrong though.
    I think your right Hawkeye. :5bowtie: I remember seeing something about it in that book in a bookstore. There were a few pictures about kuntaw but I cant remember what they were again. :munky2:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2005 9:29pm

Style: Kuntaw

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kuntaw? I'd be glad to help out where I can, if you are interested.
    Guro Brian Smith

10th level Superlesson Grandmaster

Posted On:
    9/14/2005 10:18am

Style: Currently Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The necromancers strike again.
    Who, for Pete’s sake! Is opposing science? In fact, we want MORE science by CRITICALLY ANALIZING the evidence-Connie Morris, Kansas State BOE (bolding and underlining part of original quote, red is my emphasis)

As long as you try to treat your subjective experiences as if they were objective experiences, you will continue to be confounded by people who disagree with you.-some guy on an internet messageboard

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2005 9:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kuntaw/Kuntau/Kuntao

There are many versions of martial arts in the Philippines. Many are combinations of various sub systems of fighting from Chinese, Indonesian, Korean, Japanese, or indigenous Filipino/Pilipino arts. Kuntaw (the style I learned) is a combination of Chinese, Indonesian and Filipino arts.

Later "modernized " versions of Kuntaw have surfaced, and indeed they mimic Japanese Karate. The reasoning behind this ( tho I don't agree and have subsequently been barred from the governing organization) is to better compete in the established asian games or karate tournaments. Personally, I don't think the art had to change to better mirror the Korean and Japanese dominated competitions. Rather , I think the difference of the original Tausug/Chinese circular flowing art was way better in being able to adapt and compete against the linear hard driving Japanese type arts. I have been competing in US tournaments since 1974 and have done quite well. Now , I am not a competiton oriented martial artiist and I do not push my students to compete. I competed to do several things. One, to bring Filipino Arts out into the open,2, to show that they are viable., and 3 , to promote my system to the general public.

I don't claim to be a grand Poo bah of my art, nor do I claim any superiority of my art above others. I promote this art as an alternative to the boot camp style of martial arts that are out there. The art is competitive and it IS a bit more realistic in it's way of teaching street\wise self defense and application.

It encompasses weapons, empty hands, grappling, and ground fighting. So it was a MMA long before people started using BJJ and Boxing to compete in the ring.

Pleae ask any questions you may have and I will try to answer them as best I can.
    Guro Brian Smith

10th level Superlesson Grandmaster

Posted On:
    11/14/2005 11:48am

Style: Currently Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guru Smith-

When training under a Filipino Grandmaster, is it customary to scrub his back while he bathes?
    Who, for Pete’s sake! Is opposing science? In fact, we want MORE science by CRITICALLY ANALIZING the evidence-Connie Morris, Kansas State BOE (bolding and underlining part of original quote, red is my emphasis)

As long as you try to treat your subjective experiences as if they were objective experiences, you will continue to be confounded by people who disagree with you.-some guy on an internet messageboard

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2005 5:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

scrub his back?

The idea of even being in the shower with my grand master is unheard of- Where did you come up with this BS?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast