Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112 131415 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 8:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually had a vid of it on here somewhere. I was doing some sparring with Mo Kojok who was the current USMTA welterweight champ. He hit me with a right that looked like a bullet. I was actually out on my feet for a microsecond and was surprised to find myself in the middle of a spar. Here it is:
    YouTube- Sparring at Spartan Dojo p2

Right about 18 seconds in. I only have about 60lbs on him. He's a tough guy.

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 8:36am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't been in an actual fight since high school, but I can think of a few recent MA-related crushers.

During my brief stint in judo, I got thrown a LOT, but probably the worst was by a fellow white belt who was in his second week of training. He'd wrestled and played football in high school and college, and was pretty much built like a Viking berserker. He'd just learned o soto gari and o soto gake the class before and I guess forgot the difference between them. Sensei paired us up and asked him to show o soto gake, and the next thing I know, my feet are pointed at the ceiling and I'm wondering why I feel like I've been dropped off the top of the Empire State building. Pretty sure that cracked a rib.

About a month ago, I was sparring with my coach, who is more or less a grizzly bear in human form. Going by MMA weightclasses, he's a heavyweight and I'm a welterweight(walking at about 168), so there's only so much power he can really take off when he's not going hard before mass takes over. He'd warned me twice about where I was keeping my guard and to tighten my elbows in, but I guess I don't learn through hearing. I went to throw a jab-cross to set up a kick, but as soon as my right hand moves, he kicks me in the liver like the hammer of Thor. I've never felt so much like I wanted to lay down and die. Maybe after barfing a few times.

EDIT- Vorpal, major props for staying standing for some of those shots. Even before the big one at 18 seconds, I counted at least two that made me cringe.

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 10:03am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There was a big guy at our school, about 230 or so who had a ridiculously powerful right roundhouse. He didn't land it that much on me but if he even got you once or twice it would hurt for two weeks, not just the spot he kicked but your knees too. He's the reason I had my knees wrapped up at the first TD I went to, I could barely walk that week.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 12:25pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last week I got thrown really, really hard by a purple belt who is also a judo brown belt. I think it was O Goshi, not sure, but what I am sure of is that I landed on my ribs and when he fell on me afterwards I spent a good 2-3 minutes coughing and sputtering on the mat.

Funny thing is I probably have 40 pounds on the guy. Judo is awesome.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 1:08pm

Style: ShinKyokushin/Shitoryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Got knocked out for 3 seconds by way of shin-on-face during someone ELSE's blackbelt grading, got faked with handsand ducked, caught by leg in face that was meant as a bodykick full force.

Got a horrible gash in cheek that developed ulcers, had to eat food that easily fitted into a spoon and tilt my head when eating...it sucked bad.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 6:12pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Three times in my life I have been hit with punches I can only describe with words such as "Thunderous", "World-Ending" or "Skull-Splintering".

The first time was in high school, squaring off with the school teams prop forward, I threw the first punch as hard as I possibly could ready to go low and toss him over some tables and perhaps finish the fight. His lip looked like it had been hit with a hammer. He didn't even budge, I took a step back to ready myself for some more action when his fist sailed through the air toward my noggin, it was at this moment I realised quite how big his hands were, but alas, too late. I was'nt knocked out but I was thrown pretty far just by the force and was seeing black spots for a long time. Thankfully he didn't stomp me into the dirt while I was dazed and he just walked away.

The second time was again in High School, but not nearly as entertaining, as I was jumped by around ten other kids and got my ass beat hard, the punch in question comes when my head was being held firmly on the concrete floor by one guy, and another guy was doing a fairly solid job of turning my face into a flavoursome and tender meat.

The most recent (and hardest) hit of all was during sparring at kickboxing my partner had around 35lbs on me and then some. Going medium, all is well. "Here comes a right hook" thinks I, suddenly everything seems to be in slow motion (how I remember at least) my brain says "Hmm, this is odd. Why! what a splendid punch he is throwing, what tremendous body mechanics, this might be the best right hook I've ever borne witness to, oh it's headed this way" Next thing I know I'm on my knees and it feels like my brain is in the building next door, being raped.

Moral of the story: Stay home, wear a motorbike helmet, better yet a RedMan suit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 9:10pm

Style: The Way of Hand and Foot

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another one.

Going against my master during sparring. I had full gear on whilst he had nothing on. After bowing I assumed my stance and he, rather then doing the same placed his hands inside his pockets (we have red jackets for instructors) and merely told me to "Let's go".

Did a roundhouse off the line which he countered by bringing his leg up and then did a one step back kick clean in my gut. Almost made me throw up.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/12/2010 11:26pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    I actually had a vid of it on here somewhere. I was doing some sparring with Mo Kojok who was the current USMTA welterweight champ. He hit me with a right that looked like a bullet. I was actually out on my feet for a microsecond and was surprised to find myself in the middle of a spar. Here it is:
    YouTube- Sparring at Spartan Dojo p2

Right about 18 seconds in. I only have about 60lbs on him. He's a tough guy.
    Damn, that looked like a solid strike. I'd probably be on the ground.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2010 10:47am

Style: Uechi Ryu, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sucker punch from behind by a guy that had about 6" and 50lbs on me. A long time ago, but not long enough for my taste.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 10:42pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Right hook (damned south-paw) from one of my trainers (last time I actually trained). We were going at it medium contact when he bounces (and with the recoil adds more force than intended) off the ropes and places his glove squarely on my temple. A lot of flickering and an annoying ringing sound that plagued me for a while. Suits me right for putting both gloves in front of my eyes in a desperate attempt not to get jabbed in the face.