Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: I'm New! Yay!

Style
    Traditional Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'm New! Yay!

Hi there. I've been checking out the forums and decided to join up. I don't currently practice any martial arts, but obviously I'm thinking of which one or two I'd be most interested in learning. I'm 6'4'' and only 145 lbs. so I'm most interested in speedy styles/systems/arts that require a long reach. Also, I'm interested in boxing. Any suggestions? I have no idea what to do and too many options. :D Also, there's the whole debate with sport/show over street capabilities. Help? :(

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are far too tall to be a Hobbitgoth.

But welcome to Bullshido.

Style
    Traditional Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol Thanks for welcoming me.

Style
    MT noob, BJJ even noober
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With your size,and presumably reach advantage, looking into boxing would not be a bad idea in the least. You can go for Western boxing or Thai Boxing (Muay Thai) if you want to add elbows, knees, and kicks into the mix. One major advantage of traditional boxing is that there will most likely be a boxing gym close to you and it'll most likely be inexpensive. A lot of folks around here will also suggest you cross-train in an art that involves grappling. Judo is also normally easy to find and is generally inexpensive. Boxing + Judo is a very, very good combo.

Also, where in Michigan are you? There are Bullies from all over the World here and a few in Michigan that can probably point you to a good school.

Style
    Traditional Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thaclient View Post
    Also, where in Michigan are you? There are Bullies from all over the World here and a few in Michigan that can probably point you to a good school.
    Grand Haven on the Western coast.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbitgoth View Post
    Hi there. I've been checking out the forums and decided to join up. I don't currently practice any martial arts, but obviously I'm thinking of which one or two I'd be most interested in learning. I'm 6'4'' and only 145 lbs. so I'm most interested in speedy styles/systems/arts that require a long reach. Also, I'm interested in boxing. Any suggestions? I have no idea what to do and too many options. :D
    Michigan, particularly Detroit, has a long, storied history with Boxing
    Granted, that gym closed and moved, but there has got to be tons of old Kronk alumni out there running programs of their own.

Also, there's the whole debate with sport/show over street capabilities. Help? :(
    It is just different people train in different manners and have different opinions.
    Generally speaking, someone that trains boxing for the ring isn't going to have too much trouble if something happens on the street.
    The debate is usually used to deflect when someone trains for something that generally cannot be used in a ring/cage but is fair game in a streetfight.....something like an eyepoke/gouge or a groin kick. The phrase:
    "We train for the street"
    is generally uttered and means:
    "I can't poke my training partner in the eye but I would totally do it outside a Cinnabon!"

So if boxing is your interest, link up some boxing gyms and you could be the next Mark Breland.

Again, welcome

Style
    Traditional Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A boxing/judo combo sounds pretty cool and Mark Breland looks like a BAMF. :D

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perhaps we will be lucky and Michigan's own Mark Tripp, Judoka extraordinaire will stop in.

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're in Michigan, what are you doing on the 8th?
    Because we're having a throwdown in Ann Arbor:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...09#post2360009
    This applies to you too, Snake.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    This applies to you too, Snake.
    uh, not in Michigan, but thanks brother!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last