Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/17/2005 3:59pm

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bunyip, have you thought about taking some guys along from your normal class and making this challenge on here to this fraud in person, on camera? Maybe with a local news team informed and in tow?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2005 4:24pm

Style: none currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I call BS on the hop gar claim. There aren't that many legit hop gar masters in the US and I think I might have heard of someone this "old school." If you should ever go back, see if you can get him to give a brief rundown of his lineage.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2005 4:26pm

Style: none currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isn't yi chuan just a system that focuses on zhuang zhang, isometric excersises, and body mechanics with varying levels of sparring? This is so odd...

Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    8/17/2005 4:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ newbie.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I left Wing Chun partly due to Yi Chuan.

See, my WC sifu was studying Yi Chuan, I asked him about it, and he mentioned the old chinese dude who taught him (there must be an age restriction on Yi Chuan people, there is no such thing as a young Yi Chuan guy) could do the no hit KO i.e. chi strike.

I called bull. He smiled and said "one day I would understand". I mentioned the million dollars offered for stuff like that. My sifu told me the old chinese dude was not interested in money.

I quit Wing Chun and never looked back.

Of course, by this time I was also crosstraining in Muay Thai partly due to suggestions from the bullshidokas, so I knew much of the WC stuff I was being taught was bullshido. But Yi Chuan was the last straw.
    That civilisation may not sink,
    Its great battle lost,
    Quiet the dog, tether the pony
    To a distant post;
    Our master Caesar is in the tent
    Where the maps are spread,
    His eyes fixed upon nothing,
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Sexe dans la derrière!

Posted On:
    8/17/2005 4:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai Khmer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is really sad... there's so much bad martial arts in the Bay Area (everywhere, really), and a few real gems (the ones that DON'T have flashy websites or wide publicity).
    It just takes one kid to **** in the pool and make everyone else get out...

Sociocidal sociocider

Posted On:
    8/17/2005 4:48pm

Style: Currently a SAMBO newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by xingyifa
    Isn't yi chuan just a system that focuses on zhuang zhang, isometric excersises, and body mechanics with varying levels of sparring? This is so odd...

I thought this as well....But you know, chinese mysticism sells like small Thai kids to paedophiles.
    Hatred is gained as much by good works as by evil. - Machiavelli

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2005 5:31pm

Style: Short Fist & Pak Mei

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What local news station would be interested in this?

Quote Originally Posted by bad credit
    Bunyip, have you thought about taking some guys along from your normal class and making this challenge on here to this fraud in person, on camera? Maybe with a local news team informed and in tow?

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    8/17/2005 5:47pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    bunyip, I swear if we could induct you into the Hall of Fame more than once...
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2005 6:50pm

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's nothing wrong with Yi Chuan as a style itself, just this particular teacher. It is a little misleading naming the thread with an implication that Yi Chuan is bullshido. If that was your intent, then I'd have to disagree with it. Of the chinese styles I know of, there are several that are actually no-bullshit, simple-minded, powerful fighting styles. Baji of course being one of them, but I'd also list Xingyi and Yi Chuan, as well as a couple others (Bagua maybe, but it's borderline; mantis can be pretty good too)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2005 6:59pm

Style: Aunkai, Tokyo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's really sad is that Yi-Chuan if taught properly, is a legit system. Although I question the effectiveness of their sparring routines.
    There are several legite Yi-chuan, I-chuan however the hell you want to spell it, practicioners in the states.
    Btw, Bunyip, there's plenty of CMA people that could demonstrate that "explosive" chi ****, its called fajing. It has zero to do with Qi. You're simply putting your "structure" into the opponents center of mass in a split second. (And yes the mechanics of this are different from a boxers punch)
    My instructor here in tokyo can do it (Luan on this board can testify to his ablities ;) Lookup the other thread about the dude throwing people w/ his pinky finger)]
    There's a guy in NY known as Sam Chin that's damn scary w/ it,
    and I believe even Tim Cartmell (a BJJ Blackbelt, but w/ a background in Hsing I) of the Shenwu institute in California can do it as well.

So the **** isn't fake, but the intensity of the instruction was more than lacking, from your description. If it were a real I-Chuan class those movements would have you sweating by the first 20 minutes, and your legs would prolly feel like you're on fire.

There's a very logical/physiological base to the I-Chuan methedology, and in some ways was the "BJJ" of CMA back in the day. (Like someone pointed out it looks like Hsing-i, cuz well, it came from Hsing-i, so the training methedology is similar in some points)

Anyways, I'd call BS on the guy too as to his actual skill, if he wouldn't demonstrate on you.
    But don't call BS on the art.
    Its like calling BS on BJJ simply because you met a shitty BJJ instructor who wouldn't demonstrate his armbar on u cuz your arm would "break". :qright3:

Btw, I'd change the thread title if I were you. I-Chuan is not Bullshido, only that particular instructor.
    Last edited by Upyu; 8/17/2005 7:01pm at .
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast