Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2005 7:29am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's what I was talking about - having no other job is different than not having a job that comes with insurance. Basically, you're self-employed as a fighter/instructor - I've known a lot of people that were self-employed with no insurance.

And if you are full-time employed with a 40+ hour a week job, good luck when you fight a guy that does nothing but train & teach.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2005 1:21am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You guys train fullcontact without insurance? holy ****, you're hardcore (or irresponsible)

the dude that has a familly etc, not to talk about the bad things, but if some **** happens, what could you do? i dont know how it goes for americans, insurance is obligatory where i am (if you dont pay you might go to jail, but that never happens as there is social help if you dont have means to pay)

on the other hand, the hospital prices are just not attendable here, and i dont think a sports club would accept someone without a health insurance, maybe even a medical check in most cases.

MMA Fighter/Instructor

Posted On:
    8/21/2005 1:56pm

Style: Jazzercise

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Cultural Gap!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lurk3r
    You guys train fullcontact without insurance? holy ****, you're hardcore (or irresponsible)

the dude that has a familly etc, not to talk about the bad things, but if some **** happens, what could you do? i dont know how it goes for americans, insurance is obligatory where i am (if you dont pay you might go to jail, but that never happens as there is social help if you dont have means to pay)

on the other hand, the hospital prices are just not attendable here, and i dont think a sports club would accept someone without a health insurance, maybe even a medical check in most cases.
    That there is what we call a "cultural gap".

Insurance- not obligatory, jailed for not purchasing ins? WTF? I had ins for myself, wife and 1 of our 2 kids (the other is my step and he is covered by his dad) and it cost me $750/month!!!!!! Ins. would be nice, paying rent and buying food is nicer.
    Further, maybe in your world not having ins. is irresponsible, in my world and the world of many Americans, fighters and otherwise consider ins. a luxury.

Sports clubs not accepting you for not having ins.? I have trained in 30 or more MA schools and have never run into such a thing.

Medical check? In most cases? Of course as a pro athlete I am checked for licensing and for the pre-fight physical. But to train? that's just weird.

Cherio my good man, time for tea and crumpets.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/21/2005 2:55pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I think Much Love basically summed it up as best as anybody else could. Some promotions may ask you to provide partial insurance and they are only secondary. You have to use your insurance first. It's gotten better over the years but still. I went 8 years without insurance before I got married then I did it for her piece of mind and it was a bitch to get because nobody wants to insure a fighter or if you have had any previous injuries.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    8/22/2005 10:10am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i have no insurance, and it sucks ass.

when i went to train in thailand i decided to get some travel insurance and looked into the coverage... big surprise: even if you pay extra for "dangerous sports" coverage, they will not cover any injuries from martial arts related injuries. basicly if you step onto the mat/into the ring to fight, the insurers don't want to cover you. you can go hang gliding or jump out of planes and they'll cover you fine, but put on some gloves and start fighting, and forget about it.

luckily i wasn't hurt badly, but if i had been, my "lie" for the insurance would have been that i looked at someone's girl and got in a bar fight (THAT would be covered!!!!)
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

rawr

Posted On:
    8/22/2005 2:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Mushin Dao, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, I actually have a somewhat different reason for asking.

I do have full coverage health insurance, which pays in full for my outlandishly expensive MS treatments. These treatments allow me to stay healthy enough to train (and also do other stuff I enjoy, such as see and walk) but I am under the impression that there is a clause in my coverage preventing my from participating in dangerous sports. I'm not 100% certain, I need to actually talk to someone at my insurance, but if it comes down to me having to choose between my medication and competition, sadly I'll have to choose to stay on treatment.
    I think it was two ninjas taped together, to make one GIANT NINJA!!!!

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    8/22/2005 3:01pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a minimum of 3 doctors visits a year and a quota of at least 6 X-rays per year. I have no idea how you guys can do it without insurance. I'll bet the stitches I got on friday cost my insurance at least 500 bucks. The rib injury I got a few months ago took 2 xrays and 2 visits to the doctor. Another 500. By the end of the year I figure I will have done at least $2k in damage. And this was a good year.

MMA Fighter/Instructor

Posted On:
    8/22/2005 3:16pm

Style: Jazzercise

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    II have no idea how you guys can do it without insurance.
    God helps me! Thanks and praises!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12