Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2005 3:25am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    I don't like Phil's teaching. Phil is a guy who hasn't fought, hasn't completed a legitimate martial arts curriculum, can't fight competitively, won't fight by competitive rules,
    So what? Most people haven't fought in a real-life situation. Those who have, it is the product of bad luck.

Posted On:
    12/30/2005 8:46am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by haughty
    So what? Most people haven't fought in a real-life situation. Those who have, it is the product of bad luck.
    You don't get the need for actual experience in doing something when teaching someone the skills for doing it?

Awesome. I'm opening up a rally racing school. I bought a WRX, so it's all good eh?

Nothing for Show, All for use

Posted On:
    12/30/2005 9:12am

supporting member
     Style: Jook Lum South Mantis,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And when they do have that "bad luck" situation arise, they are going to be chewed up and spit out as all those deadly techniques they have learned that have never been experienced through pressure testing are going to get them killed.

Hence many of our positions on this.

Haughty needs a new moniker, Martial Arts Moron= MAM.

I dub thee MAM....
    Last edited by Mor Sao; 12/30/2005 9:19am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2005 9:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    You don't get the need for actual experience in doing something when teaching someone the skills for doing it?
    It is preferred, not necessary. Just like the man who has been in the most fights isn't necessarily a qualified martial artist, the man who has been in the least is neither necessarily unqualified.

Posted On:
    12/30/2005 9:57am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is preferred, not necessary. Just like the man who has been in the most fights isn't necessarily a qualified martial artist, the man who has been in the least is neither necessarily unqualified.
    Man I do hope that you never meet a Doctor who has only trained in books and has not the experience of surgery when you need an emergency procedure.

Experience is tauntamount to many skills. It is needed not preferred.

What do you do for work?

Would love to hear how you do not need the skills for that.

Im an EMT. Would not want for some unexperience person to try and help me.

Doesn't really work all that well.
    Last edited by Mor Sao; 12/30/2005 10:01am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2005 10:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The argument that Phil's teachings are wrong because he has never been in a threatening situation holds no water. If an idea is sound, it makes no difference whether or not it has ever been put into practice. Right ideas have their own inherent merit, apart from those who deliver them.

Posted On:
    12/30/2005 11:02am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They hold several oceans of water. Right ideas are not right unless they've been qualified empirically and objectively, and it greatly undermines the credibility of anyone who preaches those ideas without having ever put them into practice.

Or a better example, I'm a tech recruiter (headhunter), by trade. When I look at a resume neither I, nor the clients I represent, really care what level of education/training you have unless you have significant experience successfully using your skills for previous employers.

Why should this be any different for the Martial Arts? The adage that "those who can't, teach" is intended to be a slap in the face towards people like Phil, who left his kung fu school because he objected to his instructor increasing the level of contact and because he wanted to learn how to fight without actually, you know, fighting.

Posted On:
    12/30/2005 11:09am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The argument that Phil's teachings are wrong because he has never been in a threatening situation holds no water. If an idea is sound, it makes no difference whether or not it has ever been put into practice. Right ideas have their own inherent merit, apart from those who deliver them.
    So by your reasoning you can learn to defend without ever testing out the material/moves to make sure they will or will not work?

Your reasoning is totally flawed. How do you know they are right ideas about fighting if you do not experiement with them to see if they work in the situation you are assigning them? In other words Phil talks out his ass about his made up fanatasies, and nothing more.

Phrost, this moron is funny. Sounds like Phil has a loveslave in the making.
    Last edited by Mor Sao; 12/30/2005 11:13am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2005 11:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    They hold several oceans of water. Right ideas are not right unless they've been qualified empirically and objectively,
    The truth is the truth. It may require empirical evidence to identify, but that's another story.

and it greatly undermines the credibility of anyone who preaches those ideas without having ever put them into practice.
    I agree. That's why I take what Phil says with a grain of salt, so to speak. However, just because he hasn't any fighting experience doesn't mean all his ideas are wrong.

Or a better example, I'm a tech recruiter (headhunter), by trade. When I look at a resume neither I, nor the clients I represent, really care what level of education/training you have unless you have significant experience successfully using your skills for previous employers.

Why should this be any different for the Martial Arts? The adage that "those who can't, teach" is intended to be a slap in the face towards people like Phil, who left his kung fu school because he objected to his instructor increasing the level of contact and because he wanted to learn how to fight without actually, you know, fighting.
    If you doubt him based on credibility, that's one thing. If you don't trust what he says because he has little or no experience, that's very natural and logical. It still doesn't make him wrong about any given point.

Posted On:
    12/30/2005 11:40am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Phil seems to be another one of these wussbags who opts out as they cannot handle what the martial arts is really about. Hard training where you are putting yourself through the ringer to train your body. Phils soft chubby appearence means he would rather fantasize and rant on rather than get off his fat ass and train.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast