Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 1:35am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    fubar, those people troll HERE too. It's just that we don't ban'em.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 2:01am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I long ago came to the conclusion that we could not stop the majority of martial arts newbies from doing detrimental things. But if we can help out 10% of the people who have the sense to do their homework before they sign up someplace bad then we've performed a valuable service.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2006 2:49am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Something has been bothering me... After this thread began, I wanted to investigate what was going on at PB for myself. So I registered and made a few posts, most of them in one of Phil's threads in which he bashed wikipedia. I made a few rebuttal points, and after a bit someone brought up Phil's own entries on the wikipedia. In my reply to that, I admitted "I know comparatively little" about Martialism, but I couldn't find any inaccuracy. I suggested that if there was any mistake, Phil or anyone else could fix it in a flash.

The thread was immediately locked, and I was insulted for my "condescending attitude."

No problem, I thought. That's a touchy subject. So I moved to another of Phil's threads, where he denounced "experts." "I wouldn't want to become an expert," he said (paraphrased from memory). "That would mean I would stop learning, stop growing, stop innovating" (still paraphrased). But that's just silly, and I said so. Another fellow and I traded posts debating that, then I went to bed. The next morning, all of mine and most of his posts had been deleted.

I then posted a thread in the suggestions forum, urging the admins to exercise more reasonable moderation. Then they banned me, and sent me an email calling me a troll.

Go figure.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2006 6:36am

Style: Beatyerass

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Typical Phil behaviour. The guy simply can't take criticism of any sort so he picks up the toys and goes off in a huff.

Don't worry though. All you've had to deal with is the very minor annoyance of getting thrown out of his playground. He, on the other hand, has to be an sadsack asshole every day of his life.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/08/2006 6:24pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ and Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By JKDChick

quote: "fubar, we've had people come here, more than one, and testify that listening to what we have to say has saved them money, time and maybe their lives. If only ONE of them had ever learned about how they were being suckered by the Bullshidoka of the world, I would consider all the energy well spent"

Greetings! First post after a bit of lurking. I can say that this site has saved me
    a whole lot of time and money. It helped me focus on training a critical eye
    on how to select martial arts instruction. The folks on this site gave me the tools to make an informed decision to train at a school I am completely happy with, that I believe
    trains excellent skills in a no BS environment.

Thanks and keep up the great work and commentary!

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    1/08/2006 7:49pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Porrig
    Typical Phil behaviour. The guy simply can't take criticism of any sort so he picks up the toys and goes off in a huff.

Don't worry though. All you've had to deal with is the very minor annoyance of getting thrown out of his playground. He, on the other hand, has to be an sadsack asshole every day of his life.
    *snickers uncontrollably*
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2006 7:22pm

Style: hackery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fubar
    I think what's weird is the odd reversal of philosophy. Pax promotes confronting hostilty in life while requiring members to be nice. You guys ( & women ) directly seek out & confront bullshit.

But we all know - pax & Bullshido both -, Phil is making a profit from his scene. His website is his brochure , his storefront. I don't care , May he grow rich and happy. I am burnt out on teaching and never made any money anyway , I just hang out for the enviroment. I am beyond any beginners self defense book, all the masters are full of **** and I long ago gave up trying to compete or even slow down the onslaught of bullshit in the MA world. I taught from honest hard earned experience and got my ass handed to me ( in business competition ) by a fucking Chung Moo Do cult, a Shotokan dojo run by a master who wasn't a black belt , and Billy Blanks' areobics.

I was among the first on the East Coast to study Muay Thai and immediately got caught up in a more subtle form of Bullshido - the back stabbing shite inherent in Associations.

I'm done with it. I train with a few friends - burn outs all , carry modern weapons to compensate for my little unit and paranoia , and have no idea who the current UFC / K1 / WWF champions are.

I admire your mission and your energy , but I think it's a losing battle. people want to be suckered , they want to be Remo Williams , Kwai Chang Cain and the Crow.

Honestly , As you can guess , I came here waiting to be hassled and have a good fight. But my hearts not in it , too much death this year , and you guys seem to be perfectly fine ( your issues with Phil excepted ). If it's all the same to you , I'll float around for a while and check out some of your articles and threads and look for a laugh or two.
    That's a really fantastic post.

And I think that there are two sides to the "bullshido in martial arts" coin, that sense of inevitability.

But I think there should be reason for hope, because of two key elements:

A: Fighting is one of the most basic, visceral and instinctively fun kinds of physical competition there is.
    B: As the internet becomes more frequently used by people of all kinds to research their interests, people DO become better-informed. Not a ton, not well-rounded, but on average, access to the internet DOES make people better-informed; this fact was the basis for a Norvig talk entitled 'Search as a force for good.'

I think that the implication/effect of [A] is that more people are seeking out fighting as recreation. The explosion of MMA and cage-fighting is an example of this, but it's wrong to look just at the success (and tribulations) solely of popularizations like UFC; they represent a promotional mechanism for competition that catered to edge-pushing early adopters and lots of detractors, but we're only recently seeing a more popular "legitimate" understanding of the sport. That's what's begun to happen in MMA. Mr. and Mrs. Smith, a film targetted at the most average of people, showed Pitt doing full-contact sparring in a regular-looking gym.

Now, a lot of schools co-opt that desire and interest and abuse their customers. But the growth of BJJ is an example of how the market creates improvements (even while people who lead the market deplore the market's effect on quality -- but way more gyms are offering full-contact sparring now, and that's because of the market). And the fun of full-contact sparring is the driving factor behind these improvements; it's what the market wants.

And avoiding that co-opting effect of the unprincipled is what transparency and public debate -- which the internet lets you do for nothing -- is so important. Pretty soon motorola will have a phone with a google button on it. Search is a step away from being totally ubiquitous. And at that point, well ...

at that point (which, to the extent that potential customers are using the net to look into martial arts, has already occurred), Bullshido is pretty important, because of the extreme level of discourse that it allows and the uncompromising nature of its charter. So just by virtue of existing, having (very) active discussion, and being searchable by google, Bullshido is already delivering heavily on its promise.

The things that follow naturally, though -- like ThrowDowns -- are only beginning to be tapped. I think that future developments in that area, as the events get larger and more disparate, and as more media-savvy members are able to help the press to see the importance of full-contact sparring, are likely to be quite interesting.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    1/09/2006 7:31pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fighting is not basic. If it were 99% of the population wouldn't be so BAD at it.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

software engineer

Posted On:
    1/09/2006 7:38pm

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick
    Fighting is not basic. If it were 99% of the population wouldn't be so BAD at it.
    Fighting as in instinctual, ritual violence to resolve conflicts is pretty basic. But not refined, scientific fighting.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 8:08am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick
    Fighting is indeed basic, but fighting well and effectively isn't.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh