Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2005 11:38am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    how bad is it to start using painfull guard excapes on a guy who keeps pulling guard every single time ? If the ppl you roll with are constantly doing it introduce then to nerve cuting techniques :evil:

Posted On:
    10/09/2005 5:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Painful guard passes are a waste of time - especially on someone who's used to grappling. You should be concentrating on not getting caught in closed guard in the first place, rather than trying to punish the guy because you didn't react quickly enough.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 12:33am

Style: JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay this may sound silly, but in the first technique doesn't this leave you vulnerable to a simple basterdized Nari-goshi, what we simply refer to as a bulldog, since both hands are on the knees with your head exposed and no control of opponents arms. Your pressure is forward which is what I would want, bring my left hand up inside your arm, lock around back of neck, right hand grasp inside of your left elbow or sleeve, rotate into kesagatame to pull you under. Yes I know for everything there is a counter... just looks like you are really leading with the head on the first technique from the distance in the photo. I don't have a partner here right now, suppose to be training tommorrow night, so will try to post pics.

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 5:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My pressure should only be forward once I have my head against his neck. I have good base so he can't do a snap-down and my arms are tight against my body so he can't underhook or overhook my arms.

I know the counter you're referring to, but because of my base it shouldn't work, especially if I widen my knees. I should still be able to grab your elbow and knee and drive my head against your neck to put you on your back.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2006 1:43pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for these basics on starting out from the knees. We get instruction on starting out standing, but so far I haven't had any on starting out from the knees. Without some help like this, the only other options are one of us going to guard immediately, and that isn't much fun. The followup comments on how this position can come up during practice (as opposed to being a set start position) also help.

Now all I have to do is to search and see if you ever got around to posting some pictures of escapes, I really need those!

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 4:32pm

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just wanted to tell JohnnyS that I've been using these techniques a lot since he posted them. Thanks!
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Posted On:
    10/17/2006 12:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the attack from knee pics. I will try to use them tomorrow.
    I am a newbie and our sensei only allows the newbies to spar from the knees.
    This is because we are so completely clueless that the attrition rate of stand up sparing would result in unacceptable losses to his customer base.
    I would appreciate additional pics if you have time, as I suspect that I will continue to be clueless for a while yet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2007 3:14pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rock on, thanks a lot for these. I was extremely curious about this, because it seems when rolling, so many of the guys know how to control me enough to get me on my back. This is nice because now I'm not just pulling guard or giving up guard every time. I'll apply them on Tuesday when I go back to class. Thanks again.

Dave

Posted On:
    2/12/2008 4:23pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    great for us newbies thanks for posting
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345