Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    2/10/2008 3:12pm

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ in schools

I was talking to a friend in south africa whose being doing BJJ for a few years and he commentated how the schools (primary and highschool) in south africa were begining to introduce BJJ clubs. Now this doesnt suprise me that much as schools are extremely competitive in south africa, you HAVE to do a sport or join a club (at my old school atleast). That and judo has been commonly found in schools for quite a while in south africa.

I think its a good idea but I havnt heard of it happening anywhere else. So I was wondering if people knew of any other countries that had BJJ in schools?. And if you agree or disagree on schools introducing it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2008 3:24pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: wing chun/ BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think if it was well taught it'd be a great addition to school curriculums. I'd disagree with most striking arts being taught and the classes would have to be small. Just schools being schools things can get out of hand very quickly in sparring situations, especially if people don't like each other.

Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    2/10/2008 6:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadonblade
    I was talking to a friend in south africa whose being doing BJJ for a few years and he commentated how the schools (primary and highschool) in south africa were begining to introduce BJJ clubs. Now this doesnt suprise me that much as schools are extremely competitive in south africa, you HAVE to do a sport or join a club (at my old school atleast). That and judo has been commonly found in schools for quite a while in south africa.

I think its a good idea but I havnt heard of it happening anywhere else. So I was wondering if people knew of any other countries that had BJJ in schools?. And if you agree or disagree on schools introducing it.
    A lot of colleges around here have clubs, and recently I've heard of them traveling and having scrimages. I guess that's where it starts...

PS

best avatar ever

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2008 6:11pm

Style: g. barra (blue belt), fma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i totally agree with having bjj in schools. one of my goals whenever i become a bjj instructor is to try to get bjj in the louisiana school curriculum. it's especially relevant and will help that so many school districts are trying to fight childhood obesity.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2008 6:17pm

Style: Wrestling, BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ever heard of scholastic wrestling? Or scholastic judo, depending on where you live?It isn't anything new, really.

I'd like to see a breed of BJJers that are not private clubs. They'd be run like a sports team. At a private club, everybody's paying to be there, and it's not a team, so the attitude is "If you feel like you can't finish your sprints, take a walk," as where a sports team it would be "finish your goddamn sprints or you're doing fifty pushups after practice."

To the ah_dut: No, people will not purposely hurt each other on a sports team. No offense, but that's a pretty ridiculous idea.

So, to answer your question, I believe it's fine and nothing new. But you have to be aware that you're going to see a new breed of BJJer. Some things will change. When you get injured, but you keep practicing and playing even if it's a potentially serious injury, you're being stupid, but tough. On a sports team, though, would you rather be stupid and tough, or smart and soft? In a private club, it's typically the latter. On a sports team, it's the former. That's why I'd really like to see what happens when BJJ meets the team mindset. It's going to be very different from what we see out of the private clubs.

EDIT: And I forgot to say, if I didn't already get this message across, it will probably turn out almost exactly like HS wrestling, and they'll probably figure out some sort of dual meet format (I can already see it: 3 for decision, 4 for major decision, 5 for technical submission, 6 for submission) and HS BJJers will turn out much more badass than private club BJJers.
    Last edited by Uri Shatil; 2/10/2008 6:19pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2008 9:08pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was going to start a BJJ club and it would have had alot of crappling, but our application was voided. Martial arts club already had the mats and we could have borrowed theirs and have waivers signed so that nobody would get fucked. But i guess ill just invade martial arts club or wait til next semester.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2008 6:19am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: wing chun/ BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uri Shatil I don't know about American schools but basically over here there's a reason most school ''martial arts'' programs are utterly larptastic and that's at least partly because most people take it as a games option to be a doss or they have attitude problems. At least that was the case at my school while they still had it as a games option.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2008 2:36am

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadonblade

Just out of curiosity...do these clubs exist in public schools or private ones? And even more out of curiosity...more white or black students? Just wondering if the black population is embracing bjj or if it is something only affordable by the dwindling white population in South Africa?

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    2/14/2008 11:22pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm all for anything that can reduce the commercialization of BJJ. I've come to realize that cheap, scholastic BJJ clubs like mine are something of a rarity.