Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2005 2:49am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Noob questions (No, not Saibot...lol)

Hi! I just recently joined this page while researching McDojo's and the like (Specifically Ashida Kim and Frank Dux). I was wondering, what do y'all think of Dr. Joo Bang Lee, alleged "heir" to the Hwarang Do form of Korean martial arts? Though he was not mentioned on Wikipedia (which directed me to this awesome site) I have read various articles in Blackbelt and online where people question the good Doctor's authenticity.

I also read that, in the olden days, all new martial art schools in Asia had to get the consent of the prominent form authorities before being allowed to teach. The new dojo sensei would compete, along with any students he might have, against other, established dojos, in front of the MA elders of the area. If the new teacher proved to be legitimate and skillfull, he would be allowed to keep his school. Otherwise, he would be humiliated by defeat and shunned by the community.
    --Now wouldn't it be so much easier if we could do that these days?

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/16/2005 3:01am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirobake
    Hi! I just recently joined this page while researching McDojo's and the like (Specifically Ashida Kim and Frank Dux). I was wondering, what do y'all think of Dr. Joo Bang Lee, alleged "heir" to the Hwarang Do form of Korean martial arts? Though he was not mentioned on Wikipedia (which directed me to this awesome site) I have read various articles in Blackbelt and online where people question the good Doctor's authenticity.

I also read that, in the olden days, all new martial art schools in Asia had to get the consent of the prominent form authorities before being allowed to teach. The new dojo sensei would compete, along with any students he might have, against other, established dojos, in front of the MA elders of the area. If the new teacher proved to be legitimate and skillfull, he would be allowed to keep his school. Otherwise, he would be humiliated by defeat and shunned by the community.
    --Now wouldn't it be so much easier if we could do that these days?

First of all most lineage is bullshit.

Second, Blackbelt is a gay magazine of paid advertisers.

Lastly that whole last paragraph is bullshit. Who ever you heard it from give them a shoe horn and tell them to get their respective heads out their assess.

Welcome to bullshido :new_alien :5sigh:

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    8/16/2005 3:13am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, that's actually way more true NOW then it was 'in the olden days' - at least in China and NK.

And it's still not that true.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2005 3:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually it was Neal "Phrost" Fletcher, the founder of this site, who gave the information to Wikipedia about the phrase he coined. So if the info in the last paragraph is wrong...well...you should probably take it up with him. Go to Wikipedia.com, type in "McDojo" and look at the section on Bullshido. Then dispute the article if it is incorrect.

Regardless of whether or not it is true...I think it would be a good concept if there were more Dojo War types of competitions in the US. Hell, people loved to watch the stuff anyway.
    Last edited by Shirobake; 8/16/2005 3:21am at .

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    8/16/2005 4:06am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually it was Neal "Phrost" Fletcher, the founder of this site, who gave the information to Wikipedia about the phrase he coined. So if the info in the last paragraph is wrong...well...you should probably take it up with him. Go to Wikipedia.com, type in "McDojo" and look at the section on Bullshido. Then dispute the article if it is incorrect.

Regardless of whether or not it is true...I think it would be a good concept if there were more Dojo War types of competitions in the US. Hell, people loved to watch the stuff anyway.
    Ouch

... its under "Bullshido" on this page ...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDojo
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia.org
    Coined by Neal "Phrost" Fletcher, the founder and site director for the Bullshido.com website, the bilingual play on words reflects an assertion by some of the martial arts community that there are those who train to learn how to fight, those who train to pretend they know how to fight, and those who claim that they can learn how to fight on the street without ever having fought in the dojo.

Formerly in East Asia, the tradition was that when an unknown (the traditional martial arts community had a system of references), fraudulent or ineffective school would open in a community, it would eventually be shut down by other schools in the neighbourhood through direct challenges before they could harm or defraud many potential students. If the established schools were impressed by the martial ability of the newcomer during the encounter, then they would, by tradition, be allowed to stay open. If the new school couldn't defend themselves effectively, they would be disgraced by being publicly defeated. This traditional political encounter between different schools became a favourite motif of martial arts movie makers. In modern, Westernized society, such practices are considered illegal, and therefore this kind of self-policing of the Martial Arts community is generally prevented. Consequently, almost anyone can learn a few moves and invent their own style, or claim to be the secret heir of a heretofore unknown ancient tradition going on to teach as many gullible souls as possible under the protection of local law enforcement.
    sheesh

looks like you gotta spread some more rep before giving it to Shirobake again

* edit *

he doesnt even have a style to say it wins ... lets just give him BJJ for now

BJJ Wins again ....
    Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 8/16/2005 4:09am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2005 4:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Thanks!

Doing your homework is fun. Too bad I never got the original question about Joo Bang Lee answered though... "JKD, or ADD? You decide!"

*edit*

Sweet, now with my "official BJJ cert" I have as much skill and cred as Ashida Kim!! Lol!

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    8/16/2005 4:22am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doing your homework is fun. Too bad I never got the original question about Joo Bang Lee answered though... "JKD, or ADD? You decide!"

*edit*

Sweet, now with my "official BJJ cert" I have as much skill and cred as Ashida Kim!! Lol!
    HAHAHAHA !

Use the Search Feature YOU NOOB!!!!!

I just did and got lots of anwers for you ... get to your homework you lazy bum !!

( nothing personal )

:qcheerlea

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/16/2005 4:37am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    Ouch

... its under "Bullshido" on this page ...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDojo

sheesh

looks like you gotta spread some more rep before giving it to Shirobake again

* edit *

he doesnt even have a style to say it wins ... lets just give him BJJ for now

BJJ Wins again ....
    Nope, what Phrost said and what he said I see as two totally different things.

Shirobake says "I also read that, in the olden days, all new martial art schools in Asia had to get the consent of the prominent form authorities before being allowed to teach. "

Phrost says this "it would eventually be shut down by other schools in the neighbourhood through direct challenges before they could harm or defraud many potential stude"

Not the same. Shirobake makes it sound like there's an official governing body when there never was. What Phrost is stating is the old tradition of candle burning where new schools would keep the candle burning to accept any and all challenges. If a challenger lost they would close there school down and usually become the student of the winner.

Sorry nice try.

Omega wins.
    Last edited by Omega; 8/16/2005 4:39am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2005 4:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, somebody doesn't like being upstaged by a Noob, do they? Picky picky. Now you are arguing semantics to try to save face. What you assume I meant and what I meant are two different things, and I will try to fetch all the details and slow it down next time, m'kay? "But...uh...it sounded like, uh" No. Bad. Play dead. Stay...that way...
    Last edited by Shirobake; 8/16/2005 4:43am at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/16/2005 4:45am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Semantics nothing kid. You asked/made a statement that wasn't true. If you want semantics then you say 'Dojo' referring to Japanese schools when this was a Chinese practice. Being shown up by newbies happens and I readily give credit for errors I've made. Doesn't exist in this case. If you can't convey your thoughts correctly maybe you should rethink moving on to first grade.
    Last edited by Omega; 8/16/2005 4:47am at .
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast