Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Outside Context Problem

Posted On:
    8/16/2005 12:13am

supporting member
     Style: MT / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry FighterJones, but I think you were rather naive to think that Bullshido would appeal to a 14 year old girl.

The reason that I lurk here and not the on the myriad other martial arts forums out there is because Bullshido actually encourages critical thinking and does not mindlessly deify all martial arts regardless of training methods and practical application. There is a fair amount of MMA and BJJ nutriding, but I think it is difficult to criticise that too hard, since these are styles that are actually proving themselves over and over again in amateur sparring videos and in competition. We also allow fucking swearing. Thank Christ.

Bullshido will not appeal to everyone, and it should not try to be. To attempt to do so would only serve to make it a more appealing place to the yellow bambooist types.

I do think that the panties thing was out of line though.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/16/2005 12:15am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just a thought -- bearing in mind it's late and I'm feeling mentally sluggish. I assume it's possible to add a field in the database for each individual post.

So?

So I'm throwing out the idea of being able to mark any indvidual post as either on or off-topic for a particular thread. Demarcating these would be a moderator's job.

From there it would be a matter of giving individuals the option of looking at threads in their full, unmodified format, or in their more concise, modified format.

This would allow us to maintain the policy of being very hands-off, while still allowing people to cut though most of the detritus and/or penis jokes. It would also, as Herr KeinHaar mentioned, stop gumming up the search engine.

Posted On:
    8/16/2005 12:25am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I DEMAND YOU SPECIFY THE IDENTITY OF THIS YOUNG, IMPRESSIONABLE FEMALE YOU OFFERED IN SACRIFICE TO THESE FORUMS. IF I AM CORRECT IN MY BOUNDLESS KNOWLEDGE THEN MY EXCLAMATION OF "LOL" MAY TEAR THE FABRIC OF SPACE ITSELF.

YOU HAVE UNTIL YOUR NEXT EARTHLY SUNSET :clock:
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 8/16/2005 12:37am at . Reason: EDITED TO EMPHASIZE MY AWESOMENESS AT ALL THINGS INTERNET

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    8/16/2005 12:53am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    She should've reported the offending posts. I'd have creamed the guys. This is the first I've heard of it.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    8/16/2005 2:34am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdog
    Dude, all I have to do is see his name and I laugh.

I actually like the guy. I think he's misunderstood. He has some really good ideas and fundamentally his ideas are not so bad. He just seems to get lost in the application of those ideas. I do think he's funny though. And he's a perfect example of what you're talking about. He's taken a brutal thrashing, yet he still hangs around and posts. He didn't let it get to him, at least not yet. And to be honest, while I think most of it was over the top, he deserved a lot of it.
    The thing that keeps me from chewing his ass, is he's in about 200 times as good of shape as me, so . . . I really try to keep it to grammer and diction advice :jerk:

What we're talking about in this thread? I'm doing it with another guy right now. Ninjas. Always Ninjas. Koto, if you're reading, see if he'll listen to you.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/16/2005 2:57am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, I hate to sound egocentric but I thought this thread had me written all over it. No, a fourteen year old girl doesn't belong on this site unless they're mature beyond their repective years.

That's right I said mature. I don't agree with this panty asking fiasco but the bottom line is that how a person deals with this is as important as how they don't deal with it. People/Kids who are easily offended also have a degree of insecurity about them. Confidence will be built up as a person gets older. Emotional maturity is a much stronger indication of a persons intellegence than *intellectual maturity and IQ. Arguable yes, but in the end the last person standing will be the one who can deal with their respective insecurities the best.

I won't ever apologize to somebody who I've offended on this site. I used to and it only came back to bite me in the ass. As they 'say once bitten twice shy'. No this site is to scrape away the bullshit and to expose that which is. There are many members here under the disillusion that if they nut ride a particular style they're in with the cool crowd and it only makes them look like a bigger ass.

Take it for what it is. If your friends are shy to come aboard then fine that's them. For those who lurk and rarely post they're either wise or pussies. Those who are reading this can decide which one they are because you won't believe the opposite. There are a lot of members most of you don't even know of because they are doing those investigations, and exploring the true bullshidoers out there. You've got to decide on where you stand. Are you here for the fun, to be informed or are you ready to truly get you hands dirty. One way or the other it's fine by me. This site is not designed to make people feel good its just the opposite so if you don't think your friends are ready for it don't ask them to come, prep them better if you think they're ready, and tell them not to take it so personally.

*The ability to regurgitate a response expected by society.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2005 4:08am

Style: boxing.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what ever happened to boyde, did he get a job or something?

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/16/2005 4:41am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin
    what ever happened to boyde, did he get a job or something?

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26517

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2005 5:20am

Style: Muay Thai/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bleargh.

I agree that often threads degenerate into awesome levels of dumbfuckery.

Also a lot of unnecessary and often misplaced rudeness.

However there's a general trend out there of societal pussification that I'm glad this forum does not pander to.

Believe me, I (also) do Aikido.

- cod3r

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    8/16/2005 5:23am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh please.

I cop more flak than anyone else around here yet you don't see me crying on my hands and kness that people are flamming me ? Look. Bullshido.com is a harsh forum. People here can be very critical of certain martial arts and training methods. But it is not without good reason. The point is to openly discuss what can and does work and what does not. And by work I mean produces good quality fighters.

You can say whatever you want around here about any martial art as long as you can re-enforce your answer with reputable evidence. This place is about exposing the bullshit in martial arts. Thats the Bullshido signiture. Yeah I cop alot of **** but dammit I still repect alot of people around here. This place has to be by far the best discussion boards for martial arts. The analysis of training methods,history and experiance which has been shared here is amazing.

With other forums - you have to toe the party line. If you say something the moderators disagree with, you get kicked off. Here at Bullshido you can say whatever you damned well like free from cencorship or intimidation. All anyone asks is you prove what you say and you have to give sound reason as to why a training method/style is good or bullshit.

Thats not a bad thing. Bullshido.com is an extreme. But its a NEEDED extreme.
    Last edited by Hannibal; 8/16/2005 5:27am at . Reason: spelling mistake
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!
Page 7 of 68 FirstFirst ... 34567 8910111757 ... LastLast