Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 12 34561252 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Ex-RAF

Posted On:
    8/15/2005 6:54pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's been really odd. It took me a good three months to fully get a handle on things here, get my act together and sign up.

On the one hand, there's a lot of quality information here - exposes, diet and training info, style and school reports, and so on. A LOT of good stuff to be found.

On the other, however, there's a high signal to noise ratio in places. I'm not naming names, just saying this: as Satori said, wading through BS reponses can be funny at times, but sometimes it makes trying to follow a serious thread about as easy as persuading a bull not to gore you. For what it's worth, I hold this site and most of the people within in seriously high esteem for what they do, and what they're trying to accomplish.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    8/15/2005 6:54pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think alot of frequent topics need to be made into articles, for one thing, but that is up to the members, not some authority in the sky. The mods are more like refs then anything.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Fencing Instructor

Posted On:
    8/15/2005 7:01pm

Style: Sabre/Rapier/Katana

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lawgod, at what point did anyone say anything about having feelings hurt?

If my initial trip to this board had consisted of morons asking me about my underwear in the midst of an attempt at a rational post or a discussion on Martial Arts I'd have never signed up.

It's not a matter of being offended, it's a matter of not wasting my time.

I was lucky, my entry to this board and the people I talked to the most at the begining or read and took cues from were guys like Asia and Wastel, or JKD Chick or Omega. Sure they were twits on occasion (Everyone is) But the first words out of their mouth to me were not strings or moronic insults and tactless behavior.

As others have said, we don't need Moderation, we need a bit of self willed quality control on our own posting.

PS: On the other hand, people who want change need to be involved more. It's easy for me to speak my opinion on this. And I genuinly wish people would follow it. But sitting here at a few hundred posts as an unsupporting member who hasn't hit a Throwdown yet and hasn't helped out a fraud... I don't really feel MY place is to try and control the quality. Now once I get things together, have more money to donate and more time to check out schools I'll probably become very very loud on here for the side of basic civility (Note I find a large difference between Blunt Civility and PC absurdity).

Posted On:
    8/15/2005 7:02pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I came on this afternoon for the first time, with the intention of pointing people to a joke site that I'd set up. Harmless fun (I thought)

I get a threat of being "verbally raped" in the second post, which made me laugh, then the thread got hijacked with an argument from people who post on MAP.

A flame war quickly ensued and the point of the thread was lost.

My initial impression of the forum in all honesty - that it is a thriving flame forum with little to help anyone who is interested in traditional martial arts.

That's a shame, because there are a lot of people getting ripped off by McDojo belt factorys when with a little guidance they could be armed with the skills to find a decent school.

If bullshido really does exist to provide a service, then there really does have to be a massive shift in the forum culture. Because just saying "your martial art is **** MMA is great is not really meeting a need.
    Last edited by Bil Gee; 8/15/2005 7:05pm at .

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    8/15/2005 7:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You aren't getting flamed because you're a BULLSHIDO newbie, you're getting flamed because you're a martial arts newbie saying "This flavor of bullshido I will make fun of, but this flavor I will practice" and because your first post was an extremely dry joke some people didn't take as humor - it's a testament to the need for sites like this one that your joke site didn't look all that different from real ones we have seen.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/15/2005 7:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cakemaster
    It's been really odd. It took me a good three months to fully get a handle on things here, get my act together and sign up.

On the one hand, there's a lot of quality information here - exposes, diet and training info, style and school reports, and so on. A LOT of good stuff to be found.

On the other, however, there's a high signal to noise ratio in places. I'm not naming names, just saying this: as Satori said, wading through BS reponses can be funny at times, but sometimes it makes trying to follow a serious thread about as easy as persuading a bull not to gore you. For what it's worth, I hold this site and most of the people within in seriously high esteem for what they do, and what they're trying to accomplish.
    I agree with you that there's a lot of complete nonsense around here. Worthless crap and stupidity. But as you said there's also a lot good information, good people, tons of experience being shared, and some great humor.

But the garbage is not what Nightstrike has a problem with. He basically thinks posters here are too mean and should be more polite. That's a different complaint than what you're talking about.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2005 7:09pm

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I lurk more then I post, that's true...but I lurk a lot, and sometimes things get a little rough on the newbie and stuff. Personally, I can't say I've been mauled or anything...and even if I were I guess I would live! If you are used to the real world you know people are more inclined to be assholes and say mean things to you then being polite and well spoken. If you have that in mind if someone trashes you, just trash him back and change the thread into a raging feud...or just ignore them and keep on posting good and inteligent things. Sooner or later they will give up, just because you're no fun as a victim. That's my humble opinion. But...nevertheless, I have to agree...in some of the threads that I have checked, the guys can be plain old assholes, rude and somehow manage to trash threads that would normally grow out to be good things. And they scare the "pansies" and "girlymen" too! :laughing4

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    8/15/2005 7:12pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree on the whole flaming n00bs thing. When did that start? Why? Hazing and anything like it is stupid.

PL

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    8/15/2005 7:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nobody ever did it to me. On the other hand, I'm not totally stupid.

Posted On:
    8/15/2005 7:17pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    You aren't getting flamed because you're a BULLSHIDO newbie, you're getting flamed because you're a martial arts newbie saying "This flavor of bullshido I will make fun of, but this flavor I will practice"
    So traditional martial arts training is bullshido, or is it spefically traditional wing chun training? I had thought that the site was about distinguishing between McDojos making false claims and real schools. But from what I'm reading anything that isn't MMA is bullshido. Is that right, or have I missed the point?
Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 12 34561252 ... LastLast