Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    8/16/2005 12:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ newbie.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be fair, the guys here lately have shown a great amount of restraint in the newbie bashing area. But if this problem surfaces again, it must be dealt with.

By the way, could someone provide a link to the discussion which ended with the panties comment?
    That civilisation may not sink,
    Its great battle lost,
    Quiet the dog, tether the pony
    To a distant post;
    Our master Caesar is in the tent
    Where the maps are spread,
    His eyes fixed upon nothing,
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    8/16/2005 12:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ newbie.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Bernius
    Whoa there cowboy (Brazilian Cowboy of course)... I don't think you're not quite ready to step into the ring with Omega or Asia just quite yet. But you have a pretty good handle on where you are and what realistic training is. Perhaps most importantly you know what you know and what you don't. That means you know when to talk and when to "shut-the-****-up-and-listen-to-the-voice-of-experience" (see I can swear when I want to). And that's what's needed to keep good dialog going here.

Being able to verbally (or textually throw down is good), but being able to recognize when people aren't talking out of their asses is even more important. And also recongizing the people who are talking out of said orafice. You do all of that well and with a lot of class!

- Matt
    Heh, thanks, I was just being a smartass. Couldn´t help myself.
    That civilisation may not sink,
    Its great battle lost,
    Quiet the dog, tether the pony
    To a distant post;
    Our master Caesar is in the tent
    Where the maps are spread,
    His eyes fixed upon nothing,
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Posted On:
    8/16/2005 12:16pm

Style: LARPing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdog
    By the way, your wrestling coach may very well be the worst coach in the history of wrestling!
    hahaha, well I won't say that much, but we don't learn much **** from him, this year i'm gonna pester him to have us do more take downs and clinch work.

WC lawyer, I think it was grant or shumagorath that posted the link to that comment. Its in there, just look till you find the posted link, I can't find it at the moment.
    Last edited by FighterJones; 8/16/2005 12:20pm at .

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/16/2005 12:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WingChun Lawyer
    Heh, thanks, I was just being a smartass. Couldn´t help myself.
    I knew that... but I figured if I didn't qualify neither of us would hear the end of it. And one ass-reaming from Mr O was enough for me thank you very much!

- Matt
    Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

Posted On:
    8/16/2005 12:18pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    I think alot of frequent topics need to be made into articles, for one thing, but that is up to the members, not some authority in the sky. The mods are more like refs then anything.
    Part of the "problem" (if there is indeed a problem) is that the mods (or some of them anyway) aren't refs. They certainly don't moderate anything around here. I've professionally moderated tech support, fan site forums, and others in the past. What happens on Bullshido is anything but "moderated."

This isn't entirely bad -- it's good, because it makes Bullshido the poster child for "free speech on the Internet." It keeps things casual and everyone is free to express themselves. If you can't stand the heat, get out of Bullshido.

Unfortunately, this also creates a significant barrier to new supporters and partners. In such an anarchic Internet environment, Bullshido will never gain increased support from the larger MA community, and certainly not respect from (for example) professional journalism circles like martial arts magazines. I initially brought this thought up in another thread simply because I thought Samuel Browning's article on Ashida Kim deserves a wider audience than the BJJ/Muay Thai/MMA twenty-something nutriders on Bullshido.

Bullshido is what it is. I suspect it will live on in this form. But I also suspect it could be much more than it is --- a respected source of valuable information, articles and reviews in the MA community -- without completely sacrificing its character.

Just some thoughts. :)

-daGorilla

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    8/16/2005 12:20pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Bernius
    * - perhaps part of the problem we face is that part of the locker room attitude that goes on around here is a little too welcoming for 14 year old boys who don’t have the experience to back up the trash that they talk.
    Exactly right. If you can't add anything of substance, there's always a penis joke to be made. If only they were funny.

Maybe... a reverse-trollshido? Some sort of playpen forum where no pointless whoring and threadjacking would be allowed. Even then would take many "WC is too deadly to spar!" posts to turn it into a cesspool.

Posted On:
    8/16/2005 12:54pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateNinja5000
    Exactly right. If you can't add anything of substance, there's always a penis joke to be made. If only they were funny.

Maybe... a reverse-trollshido? Some sort of playpen forum where no pointless whoring and threadjacking would be allowed. Even then would take many "WC is too deadly to spar!" posts to turn it into a cesspool.

Let's pretend for a second that Bullshido switched gears in an attempt to gain support and professional respect. Even in that case, we could still have forums restricted to 17+ that are clearly identified as "No Holds Barred" forums. Other forums, however, would be dedicated to specific topics and moderated. Discussions would be encouraged, but blatant dick jokes, flames, and "**** you" posts would not be allowed. Of course, this means moderators would actually have to do their jobs. :-D

Do I think this needs to happen? Not at all. My initial observations were only that I think Bullshido has alot of potential to be much more than it is by becoming more professional, but it could still retain much of its character. Wouldn't it be cool if martial arts magazines posted links to Bullshido, or published articles from Bullshido members? I think it would be cool.

-daGorilla

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/16/2005 1:03pm

supporting member
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Coming from an academic background, where your professional life depends on being taken seriously, I'm not sure it works here.

Yes we can stop pointlessly and unfunnily flaming n00bs. Yes, we can keep the All-Gay and Gentials Joke Time Smile Hour schtick to a minimum.

But what would "being taken seriously" mean? A relatively small portion of the public watches combat sports and a MUCH small portion participates regularly. TMAs, when compared against other physical hobbies, are fairly unpopular. So there is a vast section of the web that couldn't give a **** about us. Not because of U R Gh3y, n00b13, but because they have no background or interest.

Second, is anyone taken seriously? I mean any of the message boards. E-budo, MAP, etc. are either wishy-washy or fantasy theme-parks for teenaged boys and the intensely creepy middle-aged.

Someone a few pages back suggested that the content on the site be placed more promently (articles, vids, pictures, fight results, etc.) and the forums be buried a little so that you can find them, but there is a veneer of respectability.

THis is a good idea and to all the mods and admins reading I think it should be seriously considered.

Doo doo ca ca poo poo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2005 1:07pm

Style: tkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GarageJudokaSS
    So, this whole thread is because we scared away Jones' girlfriend?

What happened to the "man up" agenda?
    My panties are white (today).

This is a rough site. I can say that from firsthand experience. I didn't go away. I do post with care because if I am stupid, I know I will get smacked down (as I rightly deserved). There is something to be said for a group of people who will absolutely call you on your bullshit. I stuck around because I see truth in what is being said here and there is useful information. And yes, sometimes people tell you things you may not want to hear in a way that is not "politically correct" or even rude. And sometimes there is crudity and sexual humor. Get over it. It's often quite funny and if you are so uptight then this is :XXfart: not the place for you.

The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

Posted On:
    8/16/2005 1:18pm

supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *cough*freespeech*coughcough*