Amateur Fighter

Posted On:
    8/15/2005 2:37pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotajudo
    You might get a chance to find out.

Hanging 'round after the fights the other night, I was watching the head security guy show some stuff to this tall, lanky dude (didn't fight that night, but I got the impression he fought other nights).

The security guy showed this move from an x-block; odd looking to my judo eyes. So I asked him what style. He played it kinda mysterious, made me guess. Said something to the effect that he'd seen me watching and wasn't sure he'd wanted to show it.

I told him it look odd enough, I wouldn't remember it; I wasn't trying to steal his technique.

Anyway, he finally did say it was from ninjutsu - when I asked him the style I swear he said "Ashida Kim".

I just laughed - I thought he was being sarcastic. But, near as I could tell, he was being serious. told me about his teacher.

Polite guy, though. Didn't see the point of getting into it just then; he was otherwise pleasant and we were on our way home. I think I invited him up for a roll anytime.
    I think I know who you are talking about. I knew the guy professed to be a ninja, but I was unaware he claimed Ashida Kim as part of his lineage. I think I'll approach the situation with caution though; the guy has been helpful in his dealings with the cage, and I feel like talking to him politely could actually shake up his perspective on things.

I must also agree with what the gorilla posted about the manner in which bullshido is presented. People are defensive enough as it is when you show them what they have been learning is complete ****, but most threads degenerate into who can make the funniest crack about the latest bullshido artist/ self professed master. What is the purpose?

Samuel Browning is a goddamn genius however. Look forward to more reports from him.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/15/2005 3:02pm

supporting member
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We have lots of members because Bullshido is fun and funny. Puerile jokes and adolescent folderol are an unavoidable consequence. Part of the strength of Bullykind is that taking yourself too serious is meant with immense pwnage.

That said, maybe the crushing teaged boy masculinity of the site, couple with UR fag0t / bjj iz gh3y jokes "lower our stock." But consider how limited an appeal this stuff has in the first place.

How many of us knew from the begininngs of the Ashida Kim blackbelt cert. sting operation that it was proof AK was a fraud and a huckster that he gave ranks in vale tudo? Raise your hands.

Because of course vale tudo is a rules set not a specific art so how can there be a rank, let alone a Japanese dan rank ... etc.

How many people know that? How many people care?

Martials arts is such a niche interest and the flavor we like is rarer still, I don't think cleaning up the dick jokes or wearing a metaphorical tie is going to get us much, because I don't think anyone who is likely to care what we have to say is going to mind said dick jokes and said tielessness.

But I could be wrong.
    I dork harder than any of you can imagine.

- Hedgehoney

Amateur Fighter

Posted On:
    8/15/2005 3:12pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All good points.

I don't want to sound like a crusader, but I think bullshido can affect the most change in the lives of the people who believe these fucks. WE know they are bullshit, their followers, for whatever reason, don't. The followers are the people I concern myself with trying to reach. I just feel like it's hard to reach them when something they put so much stock in is being torn to shreds. Wisecracks tend to shut people down even quicker. I don't want this place to become one of hugs and kisses, but we might try paying attention to how we approach those who believe in the bullshit so prevelant in the ma communtiy.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/15/2005 3:23pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think there needs to be two counters created:

1) <<x days, x hours, x minutes, x seconds>> since Ashida Kim swore ninja vengeance against Bullshido

2) <#> of members slain by Ninjas

Poignant bearing in mind his recent flip-out which wasn't at all what one might expect from a master of meditation. See if you can find the tao in the following.

You say I'm threatening you? Not at all. Your own karma will get you. And when it does the last thing you see will be the light and the last thing you hear will be me laughing. See, I don't have to do nothing. Because I have friends. And when they think I'm being insulted or attacked or stalked, they sometimes do things to defend me. They don't always tell me what they are going to do and I don't always stop them. There are even a few, who like Homeland Security, have been tracking you guys for a long time. I've been holding them back. Now the gloves are off.
    He's got a short memory though, as he's obviously already forgotten that he previously wrote:

Me and my boys will be coming for you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2005 3:26pm

Style: Byakuren Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perhaps the first step is to approach every suspected BS artist with the same angle as AK? Provide the facts that are on the surface, see what the general consesus is, then move ahead with more direct debunking means? Bullshido has folks from all over the place....taking a drive by a club to check things out goes a lot further than just slammin the **** outta someone because they have a crappy website.

That, and the invasion of their boards in anything but a fact-finding-sharing manner is only going to make Bullshido look like a bunch of teenagers with a whose-dick-is-bigger complex. By all means, post questions and go after obvious lies but maybe without the "your a lying fucking twat" type comments....

Martial mediocrite

Posted On:
    8/15/2005 3:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Using bag as aggro outlet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So Ashida knows shady people. So do I. Big fucking deal. Certainly not something to brag about.
    What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2005 3:42pm

Style: Can't afford one yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nah, the nasty comments give it flavor. Like cayenne in Jambalaya. If it was nothing but facts and point-counterpoint debating, it would be duller than MSNBC.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    8/15/2005 3:47pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know, if we can just get Sammy Franco to mention me, my life will be complete: Phil Elmore hates us, Ninjas are threatening the staff ... god, it's been a good day.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    8/15/2005 3:52pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When they admit they have video footage of someone in Florida whom they want to call Ashida Kim...that is when I honestly related to all of this.

A few weeks ago, I was on a trip. My boyfriend, who was to join me later, was at one of the dojo that was visited by some idiots who were looking for me. They asked for my name, and my internet "alias" Aikido girl. When he asked them who they were, they shrank like the pricks they are, and left. He found that they were asking around in other dojo as well. Now, if they were from my town, I think they would have stuck around and questioned my boyfriend. Or at least gave into his offer to come in and train. [And get their asses kicked by the Wolf.] But they left. This was right after I'd had a little spat at Bullshido. One of them was openly investigating me. Who's to deny a few of them got together and chose to come look for me?

I've already posted where I live. But no one has come to any of the Aikido dojo in town since I've been back. I don't think these people want to legitimize the Martial Arts community. I think they want to have only the standards that they see fit imposed upon us all. And they will go to any low means to scare those of us who don't want that, away. Even stalking. Lying goes without saying. They are bullies, pretty much. But if they keep stalking people, and try to push them into corners, they may find out the hard way what life can be like for those who seek to destroy.

[A little addition. There is an old Gaelic saying. "Let those who love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And if their hearts won't turn, may He turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping."]
    That's Aikido Girl
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Posted On:
    8/15/2005 3:53pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by afronaut
    We have lots of members because Bullshido is fun and funny. Puerile jokes and adolescent folderol are an unavoidable consequence. Part of the strength of Bullykind is that taking yourself too serious is meant with immense pwnage.

That said, maybe the crushing teaged boy masculinity of the site, couple with UR fag0t / bjj iz gh3y jokes "lower our stock." But consider how limited an appeal this stuff has in the first place.

How many of us knew from the begininngs of the Ashida Kim blackbelt cert. sting operation that it was proof AK was a fraud and a huckster that he gave ranks in vale tudo? Raise your hands.

Because of course vale tudo is a rules set not a specific art so how can there be a rank, let alone a Japanese dan rank ... etc.

How many people know that? How many people care?

Martials arts is such a niche interest and the flavor we like is rarer still, I don't think cleaning up the dick jokes or wearing a metaphorical tie is going to get us much, because I don't think anyone who is likely to care what we have to say is going to mind said dick jokes and said tielessness.

But I could be wrong.
    I think the main effect of "cleaning up" a little would be to gain respect from the MA journalism community at large, which could (theoretically) provide a much larger venue for us to out the frauds and pretenders.

Of course, this would rely on such publications being willing to step up and print the goods -- but I think some would, as long as all the facts in an article checked out.

I like the wise-ass nature of Bullshido. I'm not sure I'd want to get rid of it. OTOH, wouldn't it also be cool if Bullshido was the #1 source for investigating bullshido, and we could "spread the word" to the MA community as a whole through connections to magazines and the larger media -- instead of just our own tiny Trolliverse? And the only way to do that would be to clean up a bit... (and maybe keep a special forum or two devoted to dick jokes)...

-Again, just some thoughts. Change or no change, I enjoy Bullshido.net :walk:

-daGorilla
Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011121319 ... LastLast