Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/12/2005 11:49am

Style: Gracie Barra Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    dude didnt even look like he cared to much. wow

this is way i like bjj, more emphasis on sparring and comps than theory and demostrations.
    Eduardo "Why'd you stop."

Me "I was kicked in the head by the guys sparring next to me."

Eduardo "Ino what happened but i didnt say you could stop."

Me "Um.. I guess I keep going."

Eduardo "You dont stop until i say stop, you dont get tired until i say your tired, keep going."

Originally posted by Ralek
    My cousin gave me some tapes of him doing tkd. I learned from those tapes. When I beat up an Akido instructor, and made him take rest breaks, I used TKD. I learned Bjj from watching ufc and pride and then I copied them and wrestled my cousin for practice. I choked him out and he tapped.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/12/2005 11:53am

Style: Korean Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't been able to find a name. I looked on the press-telegram and gazette (local Long Beach papers) sites and couldn't find anything. I did find a site which catalogs sword mishaps though:

Karate Instructor splits assistants throat open during demonstration:
    [mid/late 1990's. Longbeach, California]

During a demonstration at the "Ed Parker Long Beach International's" tournament, a Karate Instructor opted to include a sword stunt as part of his presentation.

The student laid down flat, face up and bare from the waist up. Then, a cucumber was laid across his throat for the Karate instructor to cut. After a couple of failed, light chops with the sword, the instructor increased the power of his swing and cleaved the cucumber in half. In the process, he also sliced open his student's throat, which bled profusely, and Emergency Services rushed him off to the hospital. The instructor apparently was visibly upset about the performance of his student.

- Reported by Meik Skoss (and others), USA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/12/2005 12:04pm

Style: Filipino Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's so sad the whole point of that nonsense was to show blade control. Shows he doesn't have that but is sociopathic enough to keep it cool for the crowd to show how badass he is. Funny **** is the student was probably appologetic for keeping the apple in the wrong place etc etc.

Events like this make all martial artists look bad. Well you know the phrase; "One bad (sliced) apple..." :new_llyin

-Brian

ARMAteer

Posted On:
    8/12/2005 4:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Historical European Fence

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, obviously that's one of the sadest displays of swordsmanship I've ever seen. I really don't undertstand the idea of cutting various fruits and vegetables lying on top of a living, breathing person. I've seen this type of thing a few times at various martials arts events and just can't make any sense of it. If there are any Asian style sword practitioners on this board, can any of you explain what this is about? Is it supposed to demonstrate that he has enough control to cut just far enough and stop? Is it considered a valid test of skill or is it just some bs for the crowd to ooh and aah at?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/12/2005 5:13pm

Style: Shito-ryu, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Anderson
    Well, obviously that's one of the sadest displays of swordsmanship I've ever seen. I really don't undertstand the idea of cutting various fruits and vegetables lying on top of a living, breathing person. I've seen this type of thing a few times at various martials arts events and just can't make any sense of it. If there are any Asian style sword practitioners on this board, can any of you explain what this is about? Is it supposed to demonstrate that he has enough control to cut just far enough and stop? Is it considered a valid test of skill or is it just some bs for the crowd to ooh and aah at?
    It's Eye-Candy, nothing more.

Perpetually Punchdrunk

Posted On:
    8/12/2005 9:10pm

Style: TKD, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizzaro Root

this is way i like bjj, more emphasis on sparring and comps than theory and demostrations.
    BJJ wins again! :icon_mrgr
    Rad ki was made up by adolescents. I do not know who created trad ki but it was not made by adolescents. your an ass dude, Im not being a little bitch you are, your past the level of a bitch. Your beyond Bitch! If im easting my time with ki and psi, then your wasting time to prove frauds, and all **** like that! -theoutsider

Kick boxing is ok, but don't expect do beat a man like Rickson Gracie with that. You need a real martial art. You need Xing Yi Quan. -Emptyflower

The splits, how ever, have a few martial uses. Doing the splits for me, can put my fists in testical strike range.

dont ignore the Art for the Martial or else your just kick boxing

Yes i am serious, there are kicks that can block punches. we have them in Moo duk kwan.
    I want to learn how to use them in case my arm gets broken in a fight.
    what would you have me do? if my arm gets broke, not block punches? -sempi-stone

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    8/12/2005 9:11pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizzaro Root

And no emphasis on cutting people with swords.

Also, throat no hit back.

PL

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2005 7:13am

Style: kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Anderson

Stolen from magic-tricks + American talent for making a big show. I guess.

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    8/14/2005 11:11am

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the defence of the Black belt instructor. The reason why he seemed so unconcerned is because when you make the decision to learn a weapons style then you accept all the risks involved as well.

And as a high ranked instructor he had to show any emotion. I often hear about these Iaidoist who lose their fingers during practice and demos.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    8/14/2005 11:53am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's not a very good defense.

PL
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast