Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/11/2005 8:08pm

hall of fame
     Style: jits with hits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I write down all the techniques I learn also. It was the best advice my first teacher gave me.
    "I'm offering straight punch, kick while downed to the ribs or head, and of course- the german suplex...which is one suplex quickly followed by another." - Guerilla Fists

Matt Thornton explains "aliveness": http://www.bullshido.com/videos/sbg2.wmv

West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu thread
    West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu archive thread
    (experiment to see if I can boost the thread's Google rank)

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    8/11/2005 9:28pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't go to either school. Just lie down in the fetal position and hope to GOD nobody kicks your ass. The time spent here could have been time spent training, regardless of which school you went to.

bunyip, do you draw a picture of how they work, or just a description?

PL

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/11/2005 9:35pm

supporting member
     Style: no gi bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey - i've had 2 classes so far in bjj.

You've all piqued my interest with the technique journal. Would one of you maybe share an entry? Thanks.

Posted On:
    8/11/2005 9:42pm

hall of fame

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started off trying to draw pictures, but realized it was a lost cause. Now I just describe it. Here's a basic 1/2 guard pass that I just wrote up this morning:

with LH underhook and RH crossface, LL trapped

post head on gnd on (opp's) R side of opp's head

tripod up to get knee free and drive it to the R to side ctrl
    Obviously, more complex moves require longer writeups, but almost nothing goes longer than a page. I use a short of shorthand (OLL = opponent's left leg, ORC = opp's right collar) which helps.

I've found forcing myself to remember the details of the move well enough to write it down is what really cements it in my head. When I do go back to the notebooks months later, I find I can figure out about 90% of the moves. The other 10%, I have no idea what I was writing about.

This is much better than the days when I totally forget to write down the moves. Without fail I realize by the next week that I have forgotten 100% of what we did.
    "I'm offering straight punch, kick while downed to the ribs or head, and of course- the german suplex...which is one suplex quickly followed by another." - Guerilla Fists

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    8/11/2005 9:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, I believe I should start a BJJ log too. Like you said, I've forgotten most of what I've been taught already (besides the core principles).

PL

Posted On:
    8/11/2005 9:49pm

hall of fame

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a slightly longer one. Sweeps take the longest to write up. This one's about average.

taking back from closed guard (no-gi):

hands in opp's armpits, pull him down and forward

get dbl underhooks and clasp hands behind opp

shrimp to side and bring other arm UNDERNEATH your body to outside and post on elbow

grab opp's lat w/other hand

rotate leg underneath opp so foot is hooked outside opp's hip

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2005 10:46pm

Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is a great idea. I have had two classes so far (one at each location)and would have a hard time remembering the moves correctly. You guys who write the stuff down should scan it and post it. Maybe make a little cash for your endeavor. Anyone ever tried to video a class? Just set up the camera on a tripod?
    Roly

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2005 10:47pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, which affiliate? I tend to think you're talking about our academy at 21st and 7th?

Quote Originally Posted by rolyasm
    Aight. Well, I like the closer class better, regardless of price, which coincidentally is the cheaper of the two. I have gone to both places. The more expensive place with the courses for noobs was kind of snooty and the students were not as friendly or helpful. The class that doesn't have the course for noobs was great, fun and helpful. But I could sacrifice the fun and enjoyment if I really needed the noob classes. It sounds like I probably don't, so I will sign up for the one that I like better. Probably make me more eager to keep with. If you know of any sites off-hand that have basic moves, as POLEFighter used, let me know. I will do some reading as well as the classes. thanks all.
    Roly

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2005 11:00pm

Style: Shotokan & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rolyasm
    That is a great idea. I have had two classes so far (one at each location)and would have a hard time remembering the moves correctly. You guys who write the stuff down should scan it and post it. Maybe make a little cash for your endeavor. Anyone ever tried to video a class? Just set up the camera on a tripod?
    Roly
    Roly, quit looking for shortcuts. You're not going to read about a technique on a website or something one of us posts here and be able to walk into your school and apply it. You have to learn the moves yourself and not just how to do them in theory. There are nuances like where to put your center of gravity that you have to feel for yourself. Also, recognizing the correct time and position to apply a technique cannot be taught. For example, someone can tell you that if your opponent puts one arm back when he's in your guard you may be able to triangle him, and you can understand that in theory. However, being able to see that in the chaos of a match is something you have to learn. Believe me, you're going to be presented with a ton of information from the start. You're not going to need to go fishing for descriptions of techniques you haven't even seen. Learn the basics and learn them well, that's what your whole game will be based on. To make a long story short, make your own journal and don't expect to become a Jiu-Jitsu master after you read some stuff. You're going to get stomped when you start, everyone does. It's a process and there really aren't any shortcuts.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    8/11/2005 11:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Indeed, notes need to be written by you for you to understand them later. Especially since bunyip's instructor could teach a different variation of a technique than your instructor.

They need to be short, personal descriptions. They aren't supposed to tell you how to do the technique exactly, just enough for you to remember it. Kind of like note cards when you have a presentation.

PL
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast