Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2005 7:32pm

Style: Judo, Brazilian Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If anything giving them those "signs of accomplishment is dangerous". One day that kid may be faced with a stronger, more experienced opponent in a real fight, and he thinks, "I've got nothing to worry about, I did Karate 4 Kids for 6 years, I'm a BLACK BELT!!! KI-YAAAAARRGGGHH!" That is the sound of the "black belt" getting stuck in a painful yet otherwise sloppy headlock from a big jock on the wrestling team.

Posted On:
    8/10/2005 7:33pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thats why I like cardio kick boxing, you can place all the people who would not cut it in the regular system, they'll get in shape, have some fun, but you won't have to necessarily drop your standards in the regular class and whore your belt system out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2005 9:07pm

Style: None, at present

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but isn't it possible to run a hardcore program that encourages and acclimates beginners who are in lousy physical/mental/emotional shape?

I'm not saying the workouts need to be geared to the lowest common denominator, just that students should be assured they won't be laughed at or berated if they have to stop to catch their breath, or they perform a technique badly.

All that should be asked of students is an honest effort to progress. All that should be promised to students is an honest recognition of their skills, and appropriate training to move things forward.

The problem with the "everyone is a winner" McDojo mentality is that expectations for the students start low and stay there, rather than starting low and rising gradually to an infinite point nobody will ever reach.
    Last edited by G.R. Bug; 8/10/2005 9:13pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2005 9:19pm

Style: Judo, Aikido, Dododo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe thats why Aikido is so good for demolishing the ego. You basicly just wear a white belt for ages, and then when you feel like youre getting somewhere, they make you wear a skirt.
    Keeps the yudansha from thinking theyre badasses, keeps the jocks away, and makes the already tomented nerds think twice before joining. Just leaves the rest of us weirdos...

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/10/2005 9:28pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really don't see any shame in slowing down and not doing as many reps in an excercise as everyone else if you're really not capable. God knows I can't do squat thrusts as fast or as often as most of the regulars. As long as you're pushing yourself hard and aren't causing any problems for the class you just have to keep working until you catch up.

Same deal with sparring. If someone really isn't ready and will get more than the expected beating while sparring. Just have him spar lighter or do more competitive drills while the rest of the class is sparring to get ready.

A kid doesn't need to be in good shape. If he has the desire to learn he'll get in good shape, eventually. The class doesn't have to suffer for it.

Also, am I the only one who thinks that people without motivation to learn can go **** themselves rather than recieve special kiddy treatment? I mean, honestly, if it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. If you don't have the proper motivation either:

1. The school's environment doesn't appeal to you and you should see how other schools do things until you find one that suits you.

2. Nothing but ***** bullshit and 1-hour-per-week training sessions appeal to you. Take up stamp collecting, you poser.

Noob: Reloaded

Posted On:
    8/10/2005 10:03pm

supporting member
     Style: MT nub, Ex-Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a firm believer that Mcdojos should have a large neon sign outside the building that labels them as such.
    DIDN'T YOU KNOW?! The Chinese know everything! And they knew it 4,000 years before YOU did!

"Yes. Yes I am. I'm clearly illiterate and dictating this post to a squadron of several dozen trained jumping beans I've coearced into living on my keyboard, each named after a letter or character, which bounce up and down as I call their names." -JohnnyCache

Posted On:
    8/10/2005 10:17pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How about we all take a step back and admit that Martial Arts are not for everyone? If you are whiny, not willing to get in shape, and aren't interested in working hard, MAYBE YOU SHOULD DO SOMETHING BESIDES MARTIAL ARTS?!

I realize that not everyone wants to be the next Wanderlei Silva, but people that aren't willing to make a serious commitment to work hard should probably not be doing martial arts.

"Well, I'd like to do a martial art, but I don't really want to work hard, get beat up, or make any sort of serious time commitment to master it . . . hmmm . . . if only there were MA classes where I could surround myself with pseudo-Asian culture and get a black belt without breaking a sweat. Man, that would be GREAT."

Why is it that people actually had to make a website to combat this? I'm glad we have bullshido, but I am still a little sickened by it all.

That letter makes my head feel like it is going to explode.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2005 10:34pm

Style: Karate, Judo, Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it should be fine if people don't want to do it to seriously, but still want to participate. They just should not be ranked higher than their skill level or there is no purpose to rank, which is the present reality. I think a lot of people can learn and get exercise through martial arts, but they can only get as much out of it as they put in. What leads people to value belts they didn't earn, is there any other part of life where you can gain proficiency and promotion without effort? It's like Teh Deadly said, it's as if they think the black belt gives them magic powers. Where else would that kind of logic cut it though? Not at work or at school, and people can still find satisfaction through those pursuits without being the ceo or the valedictorian.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/10/2005 11:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "The ones who need the training are the dorky, uncoordinated kids with little or no self-esteem, the middle-aged and the out-of-shape. In the traditional, hardcore setting, they would fail their belt tests and eventually feel pressured to quit. Once they leave, how can they be helped?"

This letter misses it completely, it is TOTALLY WRONG! (and no one is catching on? Well I'll clue you in).

The most traditional martial schools/dojos that I've attended, Kyokushinkai and Wado-Ryu, both encouraged young, old, fit, unfit, male, female, able bodied and EVEN HANDICAPPED to do karate. Sosai, Matsutatsu Oyama, said that karate benefits EVERYONE. he was set against the idea of only jock types training. I've worked out with guys and gals who have all sorts of body types and abilities. The other day I ran into Stephanie, who was a 12 year old when I taught her how to do full contact elbows to various grabs that a pervert might make on her. She can't balance enough to do kicks, is too crippled to do rolls, but she told me proudly that she still knows the elbows and can hit hard. *snif*

The fucking Japanese say, "Try hard," and "fighting spirit is important." They don't tell the guy with palsy to stay away, they tell him, "GO FOR IT!" They tell the fat guy and the weak lady and the uncoordinated nerd, "You can do it. OSU!"
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 8/10/2005 11:17pm at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/10/2005 11:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And OSU means to endure.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast