Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2005 4:31pm

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Defending the McDojo, BB magazine

In the most recent issue of Black Belt magazine, a letter is shown that defends McDojos. Here it is (and yes, the title is "In Defense of the McDojo"):

"In 'Gone and Forgotten" (Black Belt, April 2005), 'R.I.P.' praised his traditional school and belittled most modern establishments. I'd like to say a little in defense of the modern schools.
    It's my guess that the writer's dojo is about 25 members strong, and all students are healty, dedicated martial artists. These people are self-motivated and tough, strong in mind and body. Do they really need the martial arts? No. The ones who need the training are the dorky, uncoordinated kids with little or no self-esteem, the middle-aged and the out-of-shape. In the traditional, hardcore setting, they would fail their belt tests and eventually feel pressured to quit. Once they leave, how can they be helped?
    This is precisely where the juggling act comes in. All the patches, belts and ribbons students receive in modern martial arts schools are motivators to show them they've taken some baby steps toward their goal.
    What the perfect school should be like is anyone's guess, but I think the answer is somewhere in the middle. Maybe some schools need a little more integrity while others need to be more sensitive to their students needs."

Steven Keckan
    Farmington Hills, MI

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2005 4:57pm

Style: Karate, Judo, Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe, but I think that more difficult schools probably would have an easier time retaining students at all skill levels who wanted to focus on their own goals if McDojo's didn't placate people with false emblems of achievement. Why does everyone have to have a blackbelt?

Posted On:
    8/10/2005 5:08pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because the movie industry has made look like black belts give superpowers to those who wear them. Seriously, all my uninformed friends believe something along the lines that Jet Li will fly over here and kick your heads off if u diss Wushu.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/10/2005 5:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What a load. MA is a sport like any other and clearly the most dedicated, strong, tough and athletic students will excel. How is this a problem?

I don't remember my basketball coaches keeping a handful of the shittiest players from tryouts just so they could wear the jersey around, sit on the bench and feel cool enough to pick up chicks.

Stupid hippie sissy pansy bullshit

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/10/2005 5:13pm

supporting member
     Style: no gi bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kengou
    These people are self-motivated and tough, strong in mind and body. Do they really need the martial arts? No. The ones who need the training are the dorky, uncoordinated kids with little or no self-esteem, the middle-aged and the out-of-shape...

Steven Keckan
    Farmington Hills, MI

What the hell is this guy talking about?! Why don't people who are self-motivated, strong willed, and physically able need martial arts? Why do dorky, uncoordinated kids with low self esteem or middle-aged fatties "need" martial arts?

I guess the problem is that I don't view training the same way this guy does. That's how i used to look at training when I was at my old McDojo - I thought (and I think Mr. Keckan would agree) that martial arts was meant for instilling self confidence, getting in shape, and developing body awareness.

Now, that's not how i look at it. I realized that I didn't start martial arts to gain self-confidence, I began martial arts so that I could get good at something. It's the being-good-at-something part that instills the self-confidence. It's a small distinction but i think it's an important one.

Also, if someone is involved in martial arts for any other reason than "I want to learn how to fight" Mr. Keckan's views on training make more sense. Dorkiness (or self-motivation, self-confidence etc.) do not necessarily play a role in determining the outcome of a fight.

So to say fatties and geeks need martial arts while athletic, self-confident people do not doesn't make any sense if you're talking about fighting

But if you're talking about emotional development and physical fitness, I can understand why you'd think the weaklings and dweebs need the training before the statuesque jocks do.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/10/2005 5:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Camus
    Stupid hippie sissy pansy bullshit

Oh ya - that too.... if you're not gonna be good at something, how are you going to develop confidence from it?! - the shitty kids on the b-ball team didn't last long b/c repeated failure ruins your self-confidence instead of bolstering it!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2005 5:20pm

Style: Karate, Judo, Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think piloting schools should distribute patches and licenses just for showing up. It's tough being an airline pilot these days, and allowing only the capable students a chance to get behind the controls is to leave out those who truly need to be flying aircraft, the ones who can't safely take off or land, or work hard at a valuable skill as an end in itself, and suffer from low self esteem as a result.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/10/2005 5:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Love
    I think piloting schools should distribute patches and licenses just for showing up. It's tough being an airline pilot these days, and allowing only the capable students a chance to get behind the controls is to leave out those who truly need to be flying aircraft, the ones who can't safely take off or land, or work hard at a valuable skill as an end in itself, and suffer from low self esteem as a result.

HA - awesome

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    8/10/2005 6:43pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Commies! Damn commie liberal feel-good hippy ****! Everyone can't be a winner, and losers should be made fun of so they try harder not to be humiliated.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2005 7:21pm

Style: Sub Wrestling/Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In all honesty that letter makes a good observation. But would that not take the whole martial aspect away from martial arts? We will award you all for crap that should not be taught, you are learning to defend your self, however what we are teaching you wont really work...At least he lost 5 pounds eh? But wait, isn't that what a gyms for? Cardio kick boxing is not a style, it's not martial arts and neither is wushu, wushu is gymnastics.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast