Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2005 10:56am

Style: Chito-Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Douvris Martial Arts and Fitness Centers - McDojo(s) in Ottawa, Canada

For my first post on your fantastic site, I'd like to share my experience with DOUVRIS MARTIAL ARTS in OTTAWA. Douvris is dedicated to the "sport karate" scene, and ripping people off.

I started training at a Douvris club when I was 13, not knowing anything about karate at the time. My parents signed me up, and I started training about 3 times per week. After a year I became a "black belt member", which meant I didnt have to pay grading fees, as it was sold as a "lifetime membership". The **** started to hit the fan when more advanced members got their black belts, had to pay fees again, and were *expected* to teach classes.

I progressed through the ranks, and by the time I was 17, I had attained a brown belt. I was active on what is known as athe Ottawa "sport karate" tournament scene. I wanted to know, where the tryouts were for the national team, or provincial team. My sensei at the time said you had to be invited, and that it was up to John Douvris to decide if you were ready. They told me the WKA karate scene was *the *****, and that I wasnt ready. (The truth is that you have to qualify through 4 full contact provincial tournaments to get to the NKA Canada's national chamopionship...Douvris doesnt even acknoledge these tournaments exist!).

In the mean time, I started to ask the tough questions: why are there no Japanese people here if we are studying a Japanese art? Why do we have no affiliation with a major karate style? Why do your karate athletes get no sponsorship from the government? Needless to say, they stated to get pissed off with me, and called me a "traitor" to the club.

I eventually found a more traditional karate club, and proceeded to have my ass kicked by everyone in there. The "Sport karate" point fighting Douvris had taught me had ingrained so many bad habits, that I literally had to relearn all my fighting skills....this has taken years. Douvris karate instructors are terrible fighters, and yet they claim to be world champions.

Here is a link to a fight most of you will find very funny: FORTUNATO AVERSA is the taller guy in the clip, and claims to be a 4th Dan. He is the head instructor of the Douvris wetboro location.To this day Douvris claims that yes, this guy in the clip, is a world champion.

http://www.lil-robbie.com/stev5.mpg

P.S.

Check out Robbie Lavoie's site...another prime example of why karate people get a bad wrap! Douvris claims that he too is a world champion (www.lil-robbie.com)

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    8/09/2005 11:26am

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like you got rimmed in the ass for a long time.Sorry to hear that!

How much money would you say you wasted in your old school ?

And about the clip with lil-robbie,I guess you lost a match against him ,heh?Why else do you hate his guts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2005 12:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wasted thousands, but at the time ( from 1991-1995), the real info was hard to find. I remember attending a Gracie seminar at the Samurai club in Toronto toward the end of my time with Douvris (after Royce had just become known through the UFC), and it was revolutionary stuff. Now mma is a part of just about everyones training, in some for or another.

lmao...as a Kyokushin guy, I'm suprised you didn't find those clips funnier, considering they would both tell you they're world champs! No, I've never competed aginst these guys, becuase I'd be DQ'd within the first 30 seconds. I guess I just have no apprciation or time for "sport karate" people who think a fight is a game of tag, but front like they're the ****.

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    8/09/2005 12:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually I came acroos this website about a year ago.It's typical bad fighting.I mean you see lill-robbie going up against guys twice his size and win.I've always known it to be a bullshit way of fighting that proves nothing in any way.

One more thing ,the sport-fighting cuicuit seem to have some of the biggest trophy's around and not to mention large cash wins to entice schools to compete.

Yeah! I know all about them.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    8/09/2005 12:24pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a lot of time and money learning to play tag.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    8/09/2005 12:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by karate26
    For my first post on your fantastic site, I'd like to share my experience with DOUVRIS MARTIAL ARTS in OTTAWA. Douvris is dedicated to the "sport karate" scene, and ripping people off.

I started training at a Douvris club when I was 13, not knowing anything about karate at the time. My parents signed me up, and I started training about 3 times per week. After a year I became a "black belt member", which meant I didnt have to pay grading fees, as it was sold as a "lifetime membership". The **** started to hit the fan when more advanced members got their black belts, had to pay fees again, and were *expected* to teach classes.

I progressed through the ranks, and by the time I was 17, I had attained a brown belt. I was active on what is known as athe Ottawa "sport karate" tournament scene. I wanted to know, where the tryouts were for the national team, or provincial team. My sensei at the time said you had to be invited, and that it was up to John Douvris to decide if you were ready. They told me the WKA karate scene was *the *****, and that I wasnt ready. (The truth is that you have to qualify through 4 full contact provincial tournaments to get to the NKA Canada's national chamopionship...Douvris doesnt even acknoledge these tournaments exist!).
    Its not technically Bullshido unless this Douvris guy is claiming that he puts out fighters that can beat the **** out of everyone, or if he's claiming he's teaching some secret US Special Ops Karate, or any claims that are false. If he's just running a point competition school and charging alot.... well alot of Olympic TKD and BJJ (yes they do continuous point competitions) that aren't cheap would fall under your description of "BUSTED" too.

In the mean time, I started to ask the tough questions: why are there no Japanese people here if we are studying a Japanese art? Why do we have no affiliation with a major karate style? Why do your karate athletes get no sponsorship from the government? Needless to say, they stated to get pissed off with me, and called me a "traitor" to the club.
    These are pretty stupid questions. Government sponsors? WTF?? There are plenty of schools out there that don't affiliate themselves with organizations. And just because theyre arent any Brazilians in a BJJ school or Japanaese in a Judo school, or Koreans in a TKD school doesn't necessarily mean its crap.

I eventually found a more traditional karate club, and proceeded to have my ass kicked by everyone in there. The "Sport karate" point fighting Douvris had taught me had ingrained so many bad habits, that I literally had to relearn all my fighting skills....this has taken years. Douvris karate instructors are terrible fighters, and yet they claim to be world champions.
    Again, you gotta look at what they're saying. Are they saying that they're world champions in point sparring karate?? Or are they saying they're world champions in full contact NHB cage fighting?? Or (equally as bullshido) saying that because they're world champs in point sparring they can beat the **** out of everyone?

If they're just claiming theyre world champs in point sparring, there's nothing bullshido about that. In fact theyd probably be antibullshido because theyre not getting delusions of cage fighting grandeur from their plastic trophies.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2005 1:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks...I'll pay more attention to those icons...

The bullshido qualifier was that they claimed their club taught "self-defence"...thank god I never ended up in a major scrap during those years. The instructors send people out into the world thinking they have the skills, when all they really have is false confidence. I dunno, the place is a serious McDojo...you'd be amazed to see the number of little kids wearing their adult BB.

From a karate persons's perspective, there is alot of deception within the Douvris chain, in that the instructors claim to be world champs to all perspective "customers". To claim that you are the coach of "THE" national team (...vs "a" national team) to the general public is dishonest. As a martial athlete, you end up wasting precious developmental years "point fighting", versus learning some real skills. I'm amazed Douvris hasn't been sued for making these blanket statements regading his status and fighters...

In terms of my questions, Karate athletes in Canada can recieve sponsorship, but you have to be a member of NKA Canada (and be a national team member)...which is a long, hard road. Douvris insturctors have nothing to do with the NKA, and do claim to be superior martial artists (I guess so long as you dont actually hit them in competition...)

( As another ponit of interest: at least 3 instructors who have had a Douvris location have gone independent: former Kanata, Orleans, and Barhavven locations.)

In terms of nationality: of course your skin colour doesnt matter. But in any case, a reputable school will generally have some type of affiliation with a governing body in the art's country of origin (e.g. BJJ with the Brazilians, TKD to Korea), regardless of the instructor's background. Considering the number of highly skilled and high ranking Japanese Karate men in Canada (Higashi and Tsuruoka - first karate instructor in Canada), it is questionable why Douvris would attempt to discredit them to his students.

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 1:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Chito Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm, I have been given much to think about. Imagine my suprise to see this particular post. I have been a practitioner of Chito Ryu for half my life, and am inclined to agree that a membership to Douvris will teach you to be fast - But it's years of having to defend yourself from idiots who think that toughness is the ability to win a fight that will teach you self defence.
    Last edited by robinhoodlum; 5/15/2006 1:20pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 5:55pm

Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Old news

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by karate26
    Soon someone will come on here and change the subject and tell you that Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is the best Martial art that there is around and you should "come and join us here at Ronin or OAMA " cause we want to help a brother out!

That's the real Bullshit on this site, It's all a marketing plan for Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.
    They will tell you how they are real fighters, the truth is there are only about 4 fighters in their schools that actualy compete,( mostly part time Intstructors, the head Instructors Ben Meireles and Pat Cooligan don't even fight, they use a couple of morons to do their bidding( talk about stupid)!

good Luck,
    I'll be around to let you know when you're being suckered
    P.S. they may have already sent you a PM, Don't fall for it, all they want is your Money!

Gerry Mansfield

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2006 6:03pm

Style: MT. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I only see one person changing the subject here, Gerry.
Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast