Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/09/2005 11:58am

supporting member
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of dojos don't let sankyu or below students do armbars are have them done to them, fearing injury or a timid disposition (a rule that is routinely and appropirately ignored). But a competition rule to that effect? That eats it.
    I dork harder than any of you can imagine.

- Hedgehoney

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/09/2005 12:00pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it just me, or do competitions across the globe need to take measures against sandbagging BJJ players?

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    8/09/2005 12:02pm

Style: BJJ, Kickboxing, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tourettes
    One of the big problems with shiai are the refs themselves (especially at a local level, local meaning up to state championship level) - they're all judoka, mostly former competitors and present instructors, and because of a certain crustiness/stubbornness that seems to come with age, their opinions of what judo should be overrides any sense of impartiality so if you don't play their style of judo, you're screwed. Also, there are some old refs out there(read way too old) who just seem to shut down after judging a few matches. I've seen blatantly illegal techniques not result in hansoku make(dq) which led to bad injuries in the same match and it was the refs' faults for not calling them. Many just wear their ties and jackets and socks and forget that they're there to do an impartial job and not just look important/dignified on the tatami.
    I've seen that, too. They play fast and loose with stuff... At the Virginia states last year, there was probably only four guys in each of the two classes under 220+, so instead of having two round robins, they took two 280lb brown belts and made it a ten man tourney, then seemed surprised at all the injuries in this tournament which now spanned 100lbs. I pulled a groin muscle, then withdrew after getting a thumb burried in my eye in my third match. At another point in the night, a group of us had to scream at a ref ffrom the sidelines as a female competitor was cranking away on a heel hook (!!). He looked back and forth at us and the action like Vader at the end of Jedi, then goes "MATTE!!", and had to confer with the sideline judges before dqing the chick. They don't even recognize stuff. Nothing was even said about the eye gouge until the trainer was done looking at me and confronted the judge about not stopping face grabs. Worst tournament ever.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    8/09/2005 12:03pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't competed in eight years...and now I'm glad I haven't!

Ten years ago, I won 3/4 my fights with newaza, and watching the olympics last summer I realized that I would never have gotten the opportunity with contemporary reffing. I guess you have to decide if the new rules represent a natural evolution for judo, or a reactionary step back.

There is potential that judo could end up the next TKD if all the emphasis shifts to throwing. Fortunately, I just don't see that happening. Hopefully, BJJ and Sambo will help keep judo the complete grappling style it should be.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    8/09/2005 12:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Repulsive Monkey
    Is it just me, or do competitions across the globe need to take measures against sandbagging BJJ players?
    Sandbagging, meaning a blue belt with eight years of experience in a BJJ tourney, or sandbagging as in a BJJ blue or something entering a Judo comp as a white belt?

I can't reallys ee the latter as sandbagging... He's nothing but a white belt in Judo, he just has an applicable arsenal that outstrips that of the normal Judo white belt (or yellow, orange, green...)

That would be like barring pro kickboxers from competing in amatuer MMA, because they have experience kickboxing. Different sport.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    8/09/2005 12:15pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How about Judo black belts entering BJJ competitions and owning them?

BOOYA MARC KOMPANYETS winning the Mundials at blue~

What is funny is that BJJ doesn't discourage Judoka from coming in and owning with thier throws. Well....the IGJJF does, as I mentioned earlier, but they suck anyways.

If a blue belt wants to enter a Judo competition as white that is fine with me. He needs to pay to register himself and IMHO needs to at least be affiliated with a Judo school. I have seen a lot of BJJ'ers get Ipponed in the first couple of seconds of the match. What sucks is that they don't know the rules so they try to keep fighting and look all shocked when its over. But I have also seen blue belts sit and wait for the throws, counter or take the koka then pin/armlock/choke thier way to victories.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    8/09/2005 12:18pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Besides...if you are 17 or older, most shiai are open belt divisions, IIRC.

I remember fighting black belts as a green.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/09/2005 12:22pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GarageJudokaSS
    Sandbagging, meaning a blue belt with eight years of experience in a BJJ tourney, or sandbagging as in a BJJ blue or something entering a Judo comp as a white belt?
    Both, I think. I don't really know much about the scene. I've just heard a lot of stories -- mostly here -- about three year white belts and their ilk showing up and dominating. It seems to be a common phenomenon.

That would be like barring pro kickboxers from competing in amatuer MMA, because they have experience kickboxing. Different sport.
    I'd say that it's more like a boxing/kickboxing argument with the BJJ players being boxers. If there were a kickboxing division for people with under one year of experience and seasoned boxers kept showing up and dominating, then I'd suggest there was a problem.

In other words, if the arts are unrelated, then it wouldn't be an issue. But when there's as much overlap as there is between BJJ and judo, then maybe your experience (I'm not going to say ranking, as the approaches are so different) should be factored in to your competition placement.

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    8/09/2005 12:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper
    Besides...if you are 17 or older, most shiai are open belt divisions, IIRC.

I remember fighting black belts as a green.
    I have also had those experiences, but it's dependent upon number of competitors. I know that both the Maryland and Virginia state championships had sankyu and below and sankyu and above divisions for each weight class, and then open divisions on a first-come, first-serve sign up.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    8/09/2005 12:53pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have also had those experiences, but it's dependent upon number of competitors. I know that both the Maryland and Virginia state championships had sankyu and below and sankyu and above divisions for each weight class, and then open divisions on a first-come, first-serve sign up.

Makes sense.

I was up in CT. I remember doing the New England Champs in an open division, but the NorthEast Champs 6 weeks later were split. It is probably as you said, based on competitors...

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast