Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2005 11:13pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Korean movies

Are feedback, ASIA, and I the only Korean movie fans here? I'm going to mention some of the more famous ones, but feel free to discuss anything related to Korean movies.

Old Boy: It's basically about revenge. It's pretty violent, and the fight scenes are interesting as well. Great story, but I think it dragged a bit at the end. Other than that it's a great film.

Friend: (or "Chingu"): It's somewhat hyped but still pretty good. It's about these guys that grow up together, and take different paths in life (including organized crime). This was a huge hit in South Korea, even more than Shiri and Joint Security Area according to this source.

Shiri: A big hit in South Korea. Don't really remember this one, but I remember thinking "this isn't that great." Can someone else provide a synopsis?

Joint Security Area: Another big hit in South Korea. I thought this was really overrated, despite some interesting character interaction between North and South Koreans. There was this Swiss character that annoyed the **** out of me. Um, yeah, anyone else have a comment about this one?

The Road Taken: Okay, this last one is not famous; probably more notorious because it doesn't tow the South Korean political line. My friend thought this movie was boring, but I liked it. There is NO action. It's about North Korean POWs in South Korea, it's based on a true story. Here's the start of a synopsis, read more at the source.

In 1951, at the age of 25, Kim Son-Myong (Kim Jung-Gi), walked into prison. 45 years laster, at the age of 70, he walked out again, the longest-serving political prisoner in the world...
    - source

Bleh, I haven't even gotten to the comedies yet.
    Last edited by albert; 8/08/2005 11:15pm at .

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    8/09/2005 12:42am

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sex is Zero: Not much I could say about this except that it's an awesome fucked up comedy about some fucked up students in University. Don't watch it if you have a weak stomach for things like a fried sperm and rat poisen sandwich.

Oh, and Friend was supposed to be a true story, maybe that's why it's hyped up.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    8/09/2005 12:50am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maljuk-Geori Janhoksa: Movie about an adolescent, who is a huge fan of Bruce Lee movies, growing up and going through highschool in one of the strictest schools in Korea. A good movie with some good fight scenes, (though it's mostly about relationships and maturity). The ending climax fight scene is realisticly spectacular, you'll know what I mean when you see it.
    Last edited by feedback; 8/09/2005 12:54am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2005 12:53am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A Bittersweet Life Recently released on BitTorrent, about a mobster that is supposed to watch over his boss' young girlfriend. He falls in love with her and therefore decides to take on the whole mob. Excellent fucking twist at the end, though.

Gas Station Incident A bunch of troubled youth hold up a gas station and all sorts of things happen.

Shiri A female North Korean spy dates a South Korean intelligence agent in order to bug the entire bureau. The female spy is also chosen to assassinate the South Korean president, but falls in love (?) with the South Korean agent she is dating.

Taeguki: Brotherhood of War Two brothers in the Korean War. The older brother works hard so the younger one can go to college but the younger one is drafted anyways.

Yukdosan Following the success of film Fighter In The Wind, it's about Yukdosan aka Rikidozan, the famous Japanese wrestler that was actually Korean. Mainly deals with his mob connections and Korean spite for the Japanese.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2005 12:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Feedback, does Maljuk-Geori Janhoksa translate to Once Upon A Time In High School? If so, I think I've seen it.

Sex Is Zero: The x-ray of the broken phallus was hilarious.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2005 1:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is the dialogue they speak in Chingu some sort of dialect? It sounded different from the Korean that is usually spoken.

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    8/09/2005 1:01am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotchTape
    Feedback, does Maljuk-Geori Janhoksa translate to Once Upon A Time In High School? If so, I think I've seen it.

Sex Is Zero: The x-ray of the broken phallus was hilarious.
    Yeah, it does. "The cruel history of Maljuk", Maljuk is the school.

The broken penis...

"It's been like this for 38 hours... if it doesn't improve, we'll have to cut it out."
    (Next morning)
    Girl: "I'm sorry." (again)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2005 1:02am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I heard Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance is sort of like Old Boy but not as good (the director for this one wrote Old Boy). Anyone heard of it?

Is Taeguki any good? Damn, I have to catch up on so many Korean movies.

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    8/09/2005 1:02am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotchTape

Is the dialogue they speak in Chingu some sort of dialect? It sounded different from the Korean that is usually spoken.
    Yeah, the movie is well-known because they use a lot of slang, and it's difficult for some koreans to understand too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2005 1:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Taekguki is the mother of all sappy movies. I think I was supposed to cry at the end, but the subtitles cut off during the second half so I had no idea what was going on.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast