Page 148 of 149 FirstFirst ... 4898138144145146147148 149 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/01/2005 1:45pm

Style: mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i love that quote by omega

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    9/01/2005 2:21pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its not a surface area thing. It is a diffusion thing. The many joints in the hand and wrist give (or may give) lessening the force transfered from the body to the target. The vertical palm strike has a very small, padded surface area, above two very long bones, no joints. The padding compresses, and the damage goes through.

Sidenote: The surface area of the protruding knuckle can be TOO SMALL, causeing it to break. This would cause you to lose alot of damage into your own finger. This is why vertical punch is better (upper 2 finger or lower 3).
    Last edited by Dr._Tzun_Tzu; 9/01/2005 2:27pm at .

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    9/01/2005 2:23pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Palm heel vs knuckle strike is irrelevant when we realize that most strikes follow the windmill method of application.

Posted On:
    9/01/2005 2:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    Palm heel vs knuckle strike is irrelevant when we realize that most strikes follow the windmill method of application.
    :icon_bigs :5propelle :wink:

so true.....but thats what forms and training are for, to prevent slipping back into windmill

:llorar:

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    9/01/2005 2:32pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is nothing quite as fierce as watching a grown man, crying and howling like a banshee go into a full windmill attack. It is like a force of nature. Don't deny it. Embrace it.

Seeker of Knowledge

Posted On:
    9/01/2005 3:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Chen Style Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    There is nothing quite as fierce as watching a grown man, crying and howling like a banshee go into a full windmill attack. It is like a force of nature. Don't deny it. Embrace it.

And so by embracing it we get back to th3 gr4pp13... :icon_bigg
    "If you can get it from my kungfu grip then you can have it... otherwise... step off b*t*h!!!" - Meet the Parents

"Hetero or Homo I don't see anyone telling him, "NO SIR I WILL NOT TAKE IT IN THE ASS!!!" " - Asia

"My neighbor has what he calls an "immortality potion" that will let you live forever.
    People have been telling him that it's stupid and will not work... for 1200 years." - Leodom

Banish Uncertainty
    Affirm Strength
    Hold Resolve
    Expect Death - read in a book

http://uk.360.yahoo.com/shadowdh

Posted On:
    9/01/2005 3:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I once made someones head explode with a palm heel, thus I no longer use them, they are just too dangerous.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    9/01/2005 4:00pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr._Tzun_Tzu
    Its not a surface area thing. It is a diffusion thing. The many joints in the hand and wrist give (or may give) lessening the force transfered from the body to the target. The vertical palm strike has a very small, padded surface area, above two very long bones, no joints. The padding compresses, and the damage goes through.

Sidenote: The surface area of the protruding knuckle can be TOO SMALL, causeing it to break. This would cause you to lose alot of damage into your own finger. This is why vertical punch is better (upper 2 finger or lower 3).
    Unneeded surface area is a source of diffusion. You aren't hitting with the tips of your long arm bones, you're hitting with the bones in the base of your palm. You aren't stressing your knuckles, but you are exposing your wrist joint and the end of your carpal tunnel. A palm strike is not a panacea for the problems of a knuckle strike, nor is vice versa true. And a vertical punch with the lower 3 is assinine. You punch with the two inner knuckles because they have a superior anchor into the wrist, the lower two float.
    Last edited by JohnnyCache; 9/01/2005 5:13pm at .
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    9/01/2005 4:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The lower palm surface is not much different than the surface of a regular punch, unless you are advocating a prutruding knuckle punch? :fist:

True about the carpel tunnel, I wouldn't practice the palm on sandbags flat, but against a rounded surface to minimize the crush on the tunnel. or even just use a closed fist to build up strength, then use palm in fighting.

One ass in nine eah? The 3 knuckle punch works fine, atleast it was good enough for Dempsy and Corbert, Bob Fitsimens and the rest, back in the day of bare knuckles. We can go all crazy about punch theory, but this thread is gonna get closed at 100 pages.

Are you saying a vertical punch with the middle two? I am confussed because on my hand, the middle two fingers, when aligned, also align the pinky, makeing a lower three knuckle punch. or are you advocating the horizontal fist?

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    9/01/2005 5:12pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes. I advocate the horizontal fist for straight punches, and a more natural deviation of around 45 degrees on hooking punches, turning toward horizontal (the corkscrew hook).

If you have to vertical punch, you should still punch with the top two inner knuckles, just like you do with a horizontal punch. It's not gonna cause a crisis if the third one makes contact when the pin hits the shell, but I focus on the use of the biggest, innermost knuckles when practicing punching.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.