Page 11 of 149 FirstFirst ... 7891011 121314152161111 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2005 2:02am

Style: JTKD/ARNIS/BJJ/km

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by I aint punchy!?
    WC rocks... but it suffers from what all TMAs suffer from...

If you don't train to fight then you aren't learning how to fight.

To train to fight you must fight people under controlled conditions (to reduce chances of injury).

WC can be very good when it is trained like this -- because people will then be forced to change their patterns of movement, and become strong and flexible in the way that they've chosen to fight in (based on what they've learnt).

This is the same for all TMAs and not just WC.

And like all TMAs it suffers heavily from self-pronounced champions who have never fought anyone proclaiming themselves as grand masters... they tend to promote themselves the most, have the most McDojos, and be the most famous...

But like I've tried to say -- it suffers from what most TMAs suffer from -- highly variable standards.

Exactly, and missing some hot salsa too!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2005 2:04am

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

here's a video

BTW, u say no videos? what about this on:
    http://www.bullshido.net/modules.php...op=visit&id=75

And to be clear - i just wanted to hear some opinions, i'm stil not sure what think of it even though i practice it.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/09/2005 2:05am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronen_y
    BTW, u say no videos? what about this on:
    http://www.bullshido.net/modules.php...op=visit&id=75

And to be clear - i just wanted to hear some opinions, i'm stil not sure what think of it even though i practice it.
    Dude, bad example!!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2005 2:14am

Style: Arnis, WC, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah the thing about WC too is that people who do it don't agree all the time.

My opinion on any MA is to first understand what the aim of the 'fighting style' is. Only then can you critical appraise its methods based on what you see.

For instance, Judo can be considered to be a fighting style involving moving to grabbing range, then pulling the opponent onto the body (in some way), applying a throw, and then controlling them through the throw, so you can land on them and strangle or submit them in some way.

In my opinion, WC's fighting style is aimed at dealing with people who have their arms in front of the body to cover strikes, aka guard (e.g. boxing stance). Most styles would try to either slip a punch, and hit through the gap, or strike around the guard. WC aims to stick to the guard, and either open a gap and strike through it using its many and varied arms positions, or step in further and attack the opponents body with the legs, and hips, applying an arm trap (these should be one-arm clinches but only the silly lap sau ones tend to be popular), and finishing with strikes, a sweep or a throw. It does not implicitly rule out things like high kicks or horizontal punches like seen in other styles, but linear punches and low kicks are better for this purpose. I use horizontal punches often when I'm striking at long range, either because I've stepped into range and the other person hasn't got a good guard up, or they are retreating backwards after I've unbalanced them, and they have dropped their arms.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2005 2:21am

Style: Arnis, WC, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by omega
    Dude, bad example!!!!
    Yep that video shows one very aggressive guy (kudos for that) who can chain punch (doesnt mean hes WC), treat a karate/tkd guy(?) like a punching bad... and even then he has to end the fight with a ground arm-bar (definitely not WC).

This is an argument against the typical WC fighting style that is taught... charge and chain punch. This might work if they had all the conditioning to go with it but meh they rarely do.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/09/2005 2:26am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There was this really cool video of this guy chain punching in a kickboxing match only to find out the guy didn't do WC.....

(too many inside jokes, nobody to share)

Posted On:
    8/09/2005 5:22am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by grond
    OK, last post on the subject. You've brilliantly illustrated my point. Just because people use terms like 'combat sports' does not make them accurate. In fact, it makes them jerks. It's marketing dude, has nothing to do with reality. I never told anyone they had to use my definition, but I stand by my opinion of the people who so grossly abuse the language in a self-serving and egotistical way.
    It's not a marketing term, it's a fairly common description of arts like boxing and judo. IMO the person "grossly abusing the language" is you.

"Combat" is a term used to denote a wider range of conflicts than you're claiming. Newspapers frequently talk about measures to combat crime, or combat disease, or combat drug addiction. Politicians are spoken of as entering into combat with one another in the political arena. All of these common uses of the word are much further from physical struggle than a combat sport is.

Face it, you're wrong both by common usage and by dictionary definition. The only definition of combat that supports what you're saying exists solely inside your head.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2005 5:37am

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by grond
    but I stand by my opinion of the people who so grossly abuse the language in a self-serving and egotistical way.
    and your opinion seems to be that you want to be one of those people

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2005 6:57am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im with the majority of people on this subject - and have a personal disdain for WC (haha, that makes toilet, hmm) Anyways, i saw this guy and thought it would be a cool martial art to learn:

http://www.eviljimempire.co.uk/vids/MA/wingchun.mpeg

And then i went to some classes in my area, and thought it was the biggest money-grubbing waste of time ive EVER had the misfortune of training!

PS - i think many of you would have seen this vid, but who cares, you wanted some proof, and i kinda think this helps...

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/09/2005 7:46am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop-Loops
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In conclusion, you are a moron.

PL

PL...are you anywhere near North Carolina?