Posted On:
    8/17/2005 8:27am

Style: MT,bJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by omega
    New line up...

Ron Waterman(12-3-2) vs Ricco Rodriguez
    Victor Parfenov(0-0) vs Alex Serdykuov(3-1)
    Tosh Cook(6-4) vs Troy Miller(1-1)
    Josh Green(4-0) vs Chris Sanford(3-1)
    Antonio Banuelos(7-2) vs Shane Rice(1-3)
    Kenny Ento(0-0) vs Chris Botelho(0-1)
    Ernie Tiserino(0-0) vs Van Palacio(1-0)
    Jason Biswell(0-2) vs. Steve Ramirez(3-1)
    Dan Marks(1-0) vs Zach Campbell(0-0)
    RDR(2-2) vs Jody Poff(7-6)
    Casey Olsen(0-0) vs. Rolland Parli(0-0)
    Sucks for troy his opponent has WAY more ring experiece. Is this a pro or ameature fight?

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/18/2005 1:11am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All pro.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2005 3:59pm

Style: Hapkido, MT, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *ahem

I have a 12-1 kickboxing record with a 3-1 3 ko's amateur and 8-0 pro fights with 8 ko's. I've technically never done an ounce of formal boxing or kickboxing for my first 11 fights. Please take your opinion and shove it up your ass.
    Bwhahhaha, datz fuuunniiee, (ARNOLD FROM HAPPY DAYS)

Artemis BJJ Co-Founder/Instructor

Posted On:
    8/18/2005 4:26pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no but seriously can you link to an article or some proof that backs up that claim ? Its funny I hope its true ....
    To expand on what migo said, and because I like quoting evidence: in his book, No Holds Barred, a history of the early UFC and MMA, Clyde Gentry wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde Gentry
    ...The most spectacular fight of the night was the quarter-final between Gary Goodridge and Paul Herrera. Goodridge had a boxing background but no formal martial arts experience. His only preparation had been sparring with heavyweight friends. When word of his UFC entry [for UFC 8] spread around Canada, Goodridge met up with a martial arts master skilled in kuk sool won, who made an interesting proposition: "We'll give you a fourth degree black belt and buy you a gi if you represent our school." The arm wrestler accepted the offer and went to three classes but knew he was far from ready to compete. Two weeks prior to the fight, he started training with a collegiate wrestler. The only submission he learned was a maneuver called a goose neck (the legs trap one arm and the attacker's arms lock out the other, turning the victim into a human crucifix).
    No Holds Barred, Clyde Gentry, (Milo Books, 2005 paperback edition), p109

From mmareview:

Quote Originally Posted by MMAreview
    Prior to seeking entrance in to the UFC, Gary Goodridge approached the instructor of a local Kuk Sool Won academy and informed him of his intentions to compete. According to Gary Goodridge the school already had a 158 pound member who had his own plans of competing within the UFC for which the school had raised funds through several donations. Goodridge put forth a challenge against the schools 158 pound representative with the agreement that should he win the match, he would be given the funds previously designated for the Kuk Sool Won student and then Goodridge would represent the Kuk Sool Won academy.

After competing against the Kuk Sool Won student, Goodridge was awarded the funds and the opportunity to represent the Kuk Sool Won academy. The Kuk Sool Won academy also provided Gary Goodridge with the official designation of 4th degree black belt in the art of Kuk Sool Won although Goodridge had only attended classes at the academy for a period of 1-1/2 months.
    So, not entirely clear from those two sources whether Goodridge approached the instructor or the instructor approached him, and also not certain just how long he'd been training in kuk sool won (though 3 classes in 1-1/2 months would certainly be plausible). However, what is clear is that as migo said, Goodridge was by no means qualified to wear a 4th degree black belt in the style.
    Last edited by slideyfoot; 8/18/2005 4:29pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/19/2005 2:59am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Results:
    Ron Waterman (Pictures) def. Ricco Rodriguez (Pictures) unanimous decision 3R
    Alex Serdyukov (Pictures) def. Victor Parfenov TKO 2:20 R1
    Tosh Cook (Pictures) def. Troy Miller (Pictures) submission (rear-naked choke) 1:45 R1
    Chris Sanford (Pictures) def. Josh Green (Pictures) submission (guillotine choke) 2:30 R1
    Jody Poff (Pictures) vs. Rafael Real (Pictures) ó No Contest
    Steve Ramerez (Pictures) def. Jason Biswell (Pictures) TKO 2:01 R1
    Casey Olsen def. Rolland Parli TKO 4:58 R1
    Kenny Ento def. Chris Botehlo submission (armbar) 4:33 R1
    Ernie Tiserino def. Van Palacio (Pictures) submission (Kimura) 2:48 R3
    Alan Weickert def. Rocky Batastini submission (armbar) 2:50 R2
    Dan Marks (Pictures) def. Walt Hughes submission (armbar) 2:22 R2

For the dude who said his brother trains with Dan, I got to tape him up and we worked Chris Sanford's corner together.

Ricco was looking a little out of it.

Stephen Bonnar, Quinton Jackson, Gan McGee, Josh Koschek (or however you spell his name), and Jon Lober were on hand.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2005 3:23am

Style: BJJ & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slideyfoot
    To expand on what migo said, and because I like quoting evidence: in his book, No Holds Barred, a history of the early UFC and MMA, Clyde Gentry wrote:

No Holds Barred, Clyde Gentry, (Milo Books, 2005 paperback edition), p109

From mmareview:

So, not entirely clear from those two sources whether Goodridge approached the instructor or the instructor approached him, and also not certain just how long he'd been training in kuk sool won (though 3 classes in 1-1/2 months would certainly be plausible). However, what is clear is that as migo said, Goodridge was by no means qualified to wear a 4th degree black belt in the style.
    There's an interview with Goodridge on Sherdog that I'm too lazy to find. But according to Gary he went to them.

Artemis BJJ Co-Founder/Instructor

Posted On:
    8/19/2005 6:39am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did take a look at the sherdog interviews (March 2004 and July 2005) as migo and now you have both mentioned them, but I couldn't find Goodridge making any comment on his apparent kuk sool won training - the only reference I saw was:

Quote Originally Posted by [url=http://www.sherdog.com/news/interviews.asp?n_id=1521]sherdog[/url]
    ...For a man who was tagged as an expert in Kuk Sool Won his first go into the Octagon at UFC 8: David vs. Goliath, Goodridge grew with a sport that obviously ate itís veggies as it got bigger, stronger, and better....
    In terms of his pre-UFC training:

Quote Originally Posted by [url=http://www.sherdog.com/news/interviews.asp?n_id=1521]sherdog[/url]
    Derek Callahan: Tell me about your martial arts beginnings.

Gary Goodridge: I was a national boxing champion in Canada in 1993, I was just a strong, athletic individual, thatís it.

DC: Howíd you first hear of the UFC?

GG: I watched it on TV, actually I think UFC 3 was my first introduction to the UFC.

DC: And you decided to give it a shot?

GG: Yep, I thought that I could do it.

DC: I guess you were right.

GG: Actually my friendís were the ones that pushed me into it I didnít want any part of it.

DC: Thatís interesting, why not?

GG: It looked a little too dangerous for me...
    But I might have missed it, or its a different interview I haven't seen yet. Of course, this is all extremely pedantic on my part. :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2005 2:47pm

Style: MT,bJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Results:
    Ron Waterman (Pictures) def. Ricco Rodriguez (Pictures) unanimous decision 3R
    Alex Serdyukov (Pictures) def. Victor Parfenov TKO 2:20 R1
    Tosh Cook (Pictures) def. Troy Miller (Pictures) submission (rear-naked choke) 1:45 R1
    Chris Sanford (Pictures) def. Josh Green (Pictures) submission (guillotine choke) 2:30 R1
    Jody Poff (Pictures) vs. Rafael Real (Pictures) ó No Contest
    Steve Ramerez (Pictures) def. Jason Biswell (Pictures) TKO 2:01 R1
    Casey Olsen def. Rolland Parli TKO 4:58 R1
    Kenny Ento def. Chris Botehlo submission (armbar) 4:33 R1
    Ernie Tiserino def. Van Palacio (Pictures) submission (Kimura) 2:48 R3
    Alan Weickert def. Rocky Batastini submission (armbar) 2:50 R2
    Dan Marks (Pictures) def. Walt Hughes submission (armbar) 2:22 R2

For the dude who said his brother trains with Dan, I got to tape him up and we worked Chris Sanford's corner together.

Ricco was looking a little out of it.

Stephen Bonnar, Quinton Jackson, Gan McGee, Josh Koschek (or however you spell his name), and Jon Lober were on hand.
    So, Troy didn't fair too well..

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/19/2005 8:41pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually most who watched thought he was out classed but faired well anyway.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2005 10:59am

Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    victory for Dan Marks w00t!

and he trains the kids class every now n' then at FSA JJ, I got to roll with him a few times in the adults class, he kicked the crap out've me, and he taught me some bad ass Judo throws. This is my senior year as a wrestler so I plan on using them on the mats.

Anyways, I heard right after the doc cleared him and he got his hands wrapped the guys were like "alight you're on in 10." He went out cold (as in he didn't get to warm up or stretch anything). *shrugs*
    Last edited by TheBreakerKF; 8/31/2005 11:06am at .
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 78 LastLast