Actual Photo

Posted On:
    8/06/2005 4:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    Real alive training would be MMA competition.

And we all know what happens when someone who only trains in TKD and nothing else goes into a MMA ring/cage.
    Didnt he turn fetal and cry after a bady slam ?

Posted On:
    8/06/2005 5:46pm

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How come every TKD school I ever went to didn't allow punches to the face in full contact sparring?

"Oh, we put on padding and go full contact at the end of every class, what other art can say that?" Gee, how come you allow kicks to the head and not punches? Every TKD idiot I ever sparred had a bad habit of keeping their hands low and taking punches to face. Crap.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2005 5:57pm

Style: MT (no, not "empty")

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MattJ
    Agreed, Phrost.

However, Boxing is promoted as being alive, yet it is missing the entire groundfighting range (like full contact TKD). This is my point about levels of aliveness. As a striking art delivery system, full contact TKD could almost be thought to be superior to boxing, (assuming head shots, etc, were allowed), since kicks are involved as well.
    It sounds like you are confusing "aliveness" with "Reality Based" traning or "Functionality" ( Or I am completely misunderstanding your argument ). Anyhow, the "levels of aliveness" thing IMO is more related to "progressive resistance" i.e. the amount of force/energy/resistance used.This is difference between say, light contact sparring and "full on" sparring. A system is either taught with aliveness or it isnt.

Arghh, too many quotes marks, my head is going to explode.

Posted On:
    8/06/2005 6:04pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aliveness

This will be like the third or fourth time I've posted that link this week.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    8/06/2005 6:10pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kengou
    TKD does do sparring; that's certainly alive training. It might not be full contact, and there might be limited punches or no grappling, but it IS sparring, and it IS alive.
    Not if they're point sparring. It's almost detrimental to fighting to point spar. It inculcates such HORRIBLE habits.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Fencing Instructor

Posted On:
    8/06/2005 6:41pm

Style: Sabre/Rapier/Katana

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Never understand why people don't see this.

Now, I'm all for the amusement of sparring/fighting someone where I tap, touch, or otherwise point out I make contact without it being a fast and solid strike.

The difference between me and point sparring? I learned to strike hard and fast and accurately FIRST. Now I move with slower non-powered strike to point out holes in an opponent's defense or to get him to step it up a notch. IE it's my way of being an arrogant jack ass without hurting anyone. It also does help my precision and deftness. But again, this should come AFTER you learn to do the real deal, not before and definately not in place of.

Posted On:
    8/06/2005 7:01pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Point fighting was created upon the fallacy that a single strike is all you need in a fight.

If people consistantly got knocked out upon the first point, I'd conceed this. Unfortunately, the reality of it is that it's a game of tag and you don't need to apply any power past what it takes to get the strike to touch your opponent.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/06/2005 8:14pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kengou
    TKD does do sparring; that's certainly alive training. It might not be full contact, and there might be limited punches or no grappling, but it IS sparring, and it IS alive.

Hopefully this was written sarcastically.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2005 10:47pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    Point fighting was created upon the fallacy that a single strike is all you need in a fight.

If people consistantly got knocked out upon the first point, I'd conceed this.
    Lol, I dunno, I was watching this match between McDonald and holy crap.. So it was closer to 15 punches but damn that was quick. You have to love ESPN2 sometimes, though it's been better on Spike lately.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2005 12:54am

Style: TKD, Kendo, Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd say it depends on the person and the opponent really. Theres a certain person I train full contact face and body punches and kicks at my TKD gym, but thats only because I know he can defend himself properly. If I did it to someone below, I'd probably get in trouble for ruining the fun for them, because most hits would get through XD.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast