Thread: Those Wacky martial artists 3
4/07/2003 2:33am, #21
CUDDLY KARATE KID!
11 March 2003
A visit from a lion cub, courtesy of the Dartmouth Wildlife Park, marked the opening of the new-look Independent Freestyle Karate School run by 4th Dan Sensei Keith Boardman at his Torquay Dojo at the Riviera Centre.
Boardman says he has broken away from Ty-Ga Karate to pursue a more flexible and relaxed approach to teaching martial arts.
Anyone interested in returning to training or registering for the first time should contact Keith on 01803-326545. A website keibo-fskarate.co.uk will follow shortly.
http://www.thisissouthdevon.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=100940&command=displayC ontent&sourceNode=100849&contentPK=4608621Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena
5/08/2003 3:17am, #22
Officer's hand broken in scuffle during arrest
Thursday, May 8, 2003
By Free Press staff
A London police officer's hand was broken during an arrest following an assault at an Adelaide Street North apartment Tuesday.
Police were called after receiving a report of a man assaulting another with martial arts sticks. The victim was punched and fell when the suspect hit him with the sticks. Police said a woman fled the apartment with the sticks and called police.
When the suspect was arrested and was being escorted to a cruiser, he kicked an officer and attempted to head-butt another, police said. Abraham Marial, 30, of Boullee Street, is charged with assault with a weapon, possession of a prohibited weapon and assaulting police.
http://www.canoe.ca/LondonNews/lf.lf-05-08-0046.htmlKungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena
5/09/2003 4:04pm, #23
11 years for attacks on elderly women
May 10 2003
By Dan Silkstone
A former child prostitute who attacked two elderly women after breaking into their homes was sentenced to 11 years' jail yesterday.
Damir Stevan Lucic, 34, pleaded guilty to 11 charges, including two of rape, three of burglary and others relating to theft and assault. In the County Court Judge Tom Wodak said Lucic posed a clear risk to the community and represented a significant risk of reoffending. Lucic confessed to the crimes while serving a 16-year prison term in Adelaide for unrelated offences, including rape and robbery, in South Australia between 1997 and 1999.
He must now wait until at least May 2013 for parole.
The court heard that in December 1991 Lucic broke into the Murrumbeena home of Dorothy Gruar, 68. He surprised Mrs Gruar while she slept and attacked her with "karate chops to her forehead", before raping her twice and fleeing with jewellery and cash.
Judge Wodak said an experienced detective who interviewed Mrs Gruar soon after the attack had described her as exhibiting "greater outward distress than any other victim of sexual assault that I have previously met". The remaining charges related to an incident in December 1996, when Lucic broke into a St Kilda flat before attacking a widow, Alexandra Bonk, 83. Mrs Bonk struggled and screamed as Lucic tried to silence her. He punched her repeatedly, fracturing her cheekbone and a rib and tried to rape her before escaping with $670.
Both victims have since died of unrelated causes. "Your conduct towards Mrs Gruar and Mrs Bonk was heartless and cruel. Each of these ladies . . . was terrified by your intrusion into her home, at night, and by your attack in the dark," Judge Wodak told Lucic.
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/05/09/1052280438615.htmlKungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena
5/15/2003 12:34pm, #24
Monday, May 12, 2003
Man jailed in Rangeley rape case
By BETTY JESPERSEN, Staff Writer
RANGELEY — A man who police said repeatedly raped a woman he knew in Rangeley over a period of three months last year and threatened her with a tire iron if she left him, remained in jail Sunday after he was arrested Thursday in Bangor by two area officers. Abdilahi Abdi, believed to be 18 or 19, is a Somali refugee who lived in Rangeley until moving to Bangor last month. He is charged with gross sexual assault, a felony, along with criminal threatening. He is being held in the Franklin County jail on $50,000 bail. The U. S. Border Patrol, which has been involved in the investigation because Abdi was in the United States on a visa, is also detaining him because he allegedly used more than one name and date of birth, and had more than one Social Security number and driver's license.
According to Franklin County Deputy Aaron Turcotte, who led the investigation, Abdi was able to obtain a visa because he was sponsored by relatives in Virginia. He had moved to Lewiston and then came to Rangeley a year ago where he enrolled at Rangeley Lakes Regional High School. Turcotte, who is also a Rangeley police officer, said he is investigating two complaints of criminal threatening and assault against Abdi that were reported at the school in December. Abdi was attending the Job Corps school in Bangor where job training and classes are offered to those working to complete their high school diploma. Turcotte and Franklin County's sexual assault investigator David St Laurent located him there and made an arrest after interviewing him.
The victim reported the alleged attacks 10 days ago and told police she waited after Abdi left town out of fear for her safety, Turcotte said. "From the time she reported it, the investigation moved very quickly," he said.
Abdi, who is 5-foot-9-inches and weighs 132 pounds, claims he has a black belt in karate, the officer said.
7/05/2003 1:40am, #25
Sword Related Accidents
Compiled and Edited by Nathan Scott
Hapkido Master splits assistant's head open during demonstration:
[November 3, 2000. Melbourne, Australia]
A Hapkido demo culminated in a display of the head instructor's (grand master Kim, I believe he called himself) sword prowess. Please keep in mind that this account is second hand from my student who was present, so if some minor details are a little off I apologize.
Apparently the master had his assistant wear some sort of head gear, of which was attached two spikes sticking up from the sides of his head (rabbit ear fashion); each of which are placed some sort of vegetable (apparently something like a large white turnip). In the center, across the top of his head was some sort of long cylindrical object that appeared to be a vegetable (perhaps a cucumber).
Then the master blindfolded himself and drew his sword. After a couple of practice swings and one near miss the master realized he was out of range. After a closer step he swung again, cutting the two upright (rabbit ear) vegetables. Next it was the cucumbers' turn, and as he performed a straight downward cut a loud CRACK was heard.
The sword obviously penetrated more deeply than planned, and had split the assistants skull open. When the assistant leaned forward holding his head with blood streaming from a gash in the top of it, the audience new something had gone horribly wrong.
The assistant ended up with 32 stitches in the top of his head, and the Korean "Master" apparently fled the scene, as he had overstayed his visa length and was considered an illegal alien.
- Reported by Howard Quick, Australia.
Swordsman attacks Karate-ka with his sword at a martial art gathering:
[2000, Long Beach, California]
Swordsman from Hokushin ryu battodo, Nishiki Minoru, was among a group of Japanese budo-ka visiting Long Beach California, invited and hosted by karate instructor Fumio Demura, "Japan Karate-do Federation" (JKF) Chief Instructor. Mr. Nishiki was apparently sharing a hotel room with a karate instructor from South America when the two began to have a heated argument after a heavy night of drinking. Mr. Nishiki is said to have drawn his sword and attacked the karate instructor, who defended himself successfully with a bed mattress (which Nishiki impaled with his sword). Nishiki in fact chased his roommate down the hallways of the hotel with his sword drawn, and was finally disarmed at gunpoint by the Tustin Police Department after the hotel employees reported the assault. Afterwards, Mr. Nishiki was quietly invited to return to Japan early with, interestingly enough, no criminal charges being filed in America. However, upon reaching Narita Airport in Japan, he was met by his mother and began yelling at her, which caused him to be arrested by Japanese police at the airport.
- Reported by several budo-ka in America.
Stunt troupe performer impales young audience member with sword during theatrical performance:
[1998. Bohuslän Sweden]
The accident took place on August 15, 1998, at a medieval fair and tournament in Bohuslän on the west coast of Sweden. A stunt-fighting troupe ("Biderums kämpar", mostly consisting of guys in their upper teens) was to hold a sword fighting performance. The area was roped off, and the spectators were about 3-5 meters from the fighters. Usually, this is enough room as a safety precaution. But on the day of the accident, it had been raining and the ground was slippery. When the fight began, one of the teens slipped and lost hold of his sword (the grip was wound with steel wire). It flew towards the audience, and hit a 7 year old girl in the face point first. The sword (make not known) penetrated to a depth of 10-15 cm, just by the nose. She was rushed to the hospital, and the sword was removed one and a half hours later. It had narrowly missed the brain, eyes, vital nerves and blood vessels. The x-rays show that the sword was in fact sharp - not blunted. The performer who had caused the accident (he was just 17 years old) was shocked, and there are rumors that he was suicidal afterwards. The little girl recovered without anything more serious than a scar. The man responsible for the safety within the stunt troupe resigned. According to one of the members of the group, they had told the people responsible for the event that the ground wasn’t safe, but that they had been told to hold the show anyway. The District Attorney looked into the case, but decided against the court case a year later.
- Reported by Björn Hellqvist, Sweden.
Combat re-enactor bleeds to death from sword wound during performance:
[Ca. 1994-1995. London]
During a combat re-enactment, a British performer bled to death in a matter of seconds after having had the femoral artery in his thigh sliced open by a blunted-sword that had broken during the performance. The sword used was a cheap re-enactment blade that was really only intended for use for about a year or so. A quick introductory weapon, in other words. The actual age of the blade was somewhere around 15 years old at that time, as the guy who made these swords stopped that model around 1980. Since the breakage appeared to be the result of metal fatigue, the surviving performer tried to sue the manufacturer of the sword, but lost on the grounds of user negligence.
- Reported by Björn Hellqvist, Sweden and Rob Lovett, London.
Karate Instructor splits assistants throat open during demonstration:
[mid/late 1990's. Longbeach, California]
During a demonstration at the "Ed Parker Long Beach International's" tournament, a Karate Instructor opted to include a sword stunt as part of his presentation.
The student laid down flat, face up and bare from the waist up. Then, a cucumber was laid across his throat for the Karate instructor to cut. After a couple of failed, light chops with the sword, the instructor increased the power of his swing and cleaved the cucumber in half. In the process, he also sliced open his student's throat, which bled profusely, and Emergency Services rushed him off to the hospital. The instructor apparently was visibly upset about the performance of his student.
- Reported by Meik Skoss (and others), USA.
Batto-do instructor cuts own thumb off during demonstration:
[August 26, 1990 Los Angeles, California]
This rather famous incident took place at the Japan America Theater in Little Tokyo, Los Angeles during the 50th annual Nisei week "Aikido and Japanese Swordsmanship Demonstration". The demonstration was hosted by Mr. Kensho Furuya of the Aikido Center of Los Angeles, and included sixteen performers from the Zen Nippon Battodo Renmei (ZNBR; All Japan Battodo Federation), led by Mr. Hataya Mitsuo (Rokudan, Shihan).
Mr. Furuya had recently been permitted to operate a branch dojo under the Zen Nippon Battodo Renmei (ZNBR), and had invited a large group of swordsmen to Los Angeles to demonstrate their forms.
Mr. Hataya opened the battodo part of the show by saying a few words, and then the sword demonstration began as planned. However, the packed audience was shocked when part way through one of the demonstrations, Mr. Hoso Nobuharu (Chief Instructor of Okayama Prefecture ZNBR) severed his own thumb off while attempting to rapidly draw his sword. During the second Iai kata, having begun from a kneeling position, Mr. Hoso had attempted to draw the blade in a one handed downward cut and apparently met some resistance towards the end of the draw. Upon adding additional force to the draw to release the last portion of blade, the scabbard split at the mouth area and the blade sliced through the swordsman's left thumb. From the audiences point of view, they were surely alerted by the swordsman's yelp and the severed thumb visibly sailing through the air and landing on the stage several feet away.
Immediately after the injury, the swordsman stood up, glanced at his sword and hastily exited from the stage.
Despite the host's attempt to collect all camcorder tapes of the accident, there are apparently at least two or more versions of this demonstration that have circulated throughout the various sword groups over the years, which has surely attributed to the continued interest in this incident. Interestingly, Mr. Hoso has remained active in Battodo, and can be seen regularly performing or officiating at the Zen Nihon Battodo Taikai (test cutting competitions) in Japan, though he now wears a black glove on his left hand.
- Information obtained through the event's program, and viewing of video footage.
Stage-combat troupe performer impales partner's skull, fatally injuring him, during a performance:
[unknown date and place]
Some 10 years ago, a Czech stage-combat troupe did a rapier show where a Main Gauche (a thin, short style of rapier typically held in the left hand and used in conjunction with a longer rapier held in the right hand) hit the eye of one of the combatants, entering the brain. The guy died; the tragic thing was that the fighters were brothers.
- Reported by Björn Hellqvist, Sweden.
Swordsman pierced in the heart with short sword/dagger while sparring:
[unknown date. Australia]
Some 15 years ago, there was a death in Australia. Though the fighters were wearing armor, a hit with a Poignard (a long double-edged dagger) in the armpit penetrated the opponent's heart. There are rumors that it wasn’t an accident, and that the guy who was killed had been sleeping with the wife of the other fighter. But this is unconfirmed.
- Reported by Björn Hellqvist, Sweden.
Iaito blade pierces chest of young boy during public training session:
[09/19/1981, Kashima, Japan]
6th Grade Student Killed While Watching Practice:
KASHIMA. On September 19th at around 8:35pm, Mr. Sakamoto Katsu (45 yrs old) was practicing Iaido in the Kashima Central Public Community Center when the mekugi [retaining pin] of his sword fell out. He swung the sword down and the blade flew out, striking the nearby eldest son of Mr. Nishi Toshikatsu, Takao (12 yrs old). A sixth grade student, Takao was killed when he was pierced in the left side of his chest. He was immediately rushed to the Japan Red Cross Hospital in Kumamoto City where he was pronounced dead on arrival. Takao had just finished practicing Judo, and was observing Mr. Sakamoto's Iaido.
- Reported by the Kumamoto Daily Newspaper, Sunday, 20 September, 1981. Translation courtesy of Guy H. Power.