Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/11/2007 4:42pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Combatives

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The TRUTH...........

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I've been reading for awhile regarding the whole Damian Ross & Lt. SCUM BAG thing. I have been in contact with Mr. Browning in the past via email.

If there are questions that you guys want cleared up regarding Carl Cestari, ask away. I'm not here to go back and forth, but to clear the air, cause i'm quite tired of Carl Cestari's NAME being dragged down by Snake oil salesman!

I've trained with Carl from 1993-2007. I was with him till the very end. I was left to continue teaching Carl's methods/System by him, and that can be varified by many, including Carl's wife, Carol!

I'll be more than happy to clear any misconceptions there might be.

Clint

Posted On:
    11/11/2007 5:37pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Clint:

Welcome to Bullshido :)

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    11/11/2007 6:02pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello Clint,

I have Carl Cestari's tape set, and I particularly like his ground fighting. Could you take us through some of the thought process that he went through for developing his version of Ground and Pound?

Samuel B, any thoughts to cutting this out of the other thread into a question and answer?
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/11/2007 7:12pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Mr. Browning, hope all is well.

Askari: When Carl would video tape or teach, he did it of the cuff, he never planned anything, he could just do it. As for his take on Ground Fighting goes, don't go there, if at all possible, but know how to survive it if it happens. When it came to personal protection, and NOT sport, Carl had a very realistic out look and deep feelings on what needed to be done. Its no secret about some of Carl's background, but needless to say, Carl had a very REAL background in real world survival and what it took to survive a life & death situation. I know first hand many situations he was involed in over the years and he came out alive!

Some may not like the way he wrote or taked, (As if he kinda knew it all), but he did know what it took and he tried to pass on what he learned and what saved his butt many times, NO SECRETS, but ATTITUDE AND MIND-SET has allot to do with it, he was Hard Core and would set to anyone that had a problem with him, that was just CARL CESTARI!

No one knows this, but, when he ran that first seminar at kean University in 2002, it was after all the wackers and key-board Commando's started invading the forum we were on and talking nonsense, and Carl said set up a FREE 3-day seminar, and will see what TOUGH-GUYS show up and say in person, that was the only reason that seminar took place. (No one showed up, they must have been training their finger-tip waza for more key board typing). However, he was quite taken back at the responce and interest in him that the following year he ran another one (2003). Again, that was Carl Cestari.

I once asked him what the "Secret" was to survivng an all out street assault/attack, he took a puff of smoke, looked at me and said: Clint, I know you know there AIN'T no secrets, But, if I had to tell you one thing, it would be this, Do your worst, Fast & First, thats it brother, be a man and set up to the plate!

So to get back to your question, having been in a "few" fights that happened to end on the ground, or went very bad, he fought like a sore RAT, dirty & ruthless. NO RULES, and he knew NO RULES, whatever it took, he'd do, and do it first. Most fights he finnished with blows, if not blows, that strangles/chokes were next, no joint locking or pressure point stuff, stuff that ended in the other guy OUT COLD.

In all honesty, Carl favored the left jab and over hand right (FISTS). But remember, his body was highly conditioned, he was truly a HUMAN WEAPON, unlike the discovery guys...lol If he got a clean shot off to the face/neck area, one shot was all he needed and you were DONE! And thats the truth, no magic, just hard training!

Carl liked the WWII Combatives very much, and for those beginners, whether civilian/police or military looking for an easy to learn and retain system of Close-Quarters Combat he felt that the Fairbairn/Sykes/Applegate method advocated during WWII was the over all best!

And again, BASICS... Once you decided to do more training, he ALWAYS advocated training in Judo & Boxing, MMA, Somb/Sambo, Savate, Karate, Jujutsu whatever and to never sell yourself short. He looked and trained in it ALL. Carl trained every single day, rain, shine, sick or in the hospital with injuries, (No joke).... 2-weeks prior to his passing away, I was with him in the hospital and he was conditiong his grip. He was the real deal.

Edited to add, I made a site dedicated to Carl at www.carlcestari.com I hope to had video clips of him in the near future. C.
    Last edited by CLINT; 11/11/2007 7:21pm at .

Ghost of Kawaishi

Posted On:
    11/11/2007 7:25pm

Style: judo, parenting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've said it before, I was at both the seminars at Keane University in 2002 and 2003, Carl was the real deal, and Clint is the best overall to continue his research and teaching. Clint, great to see you on the board!

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    11/11/2007 7:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CLINT
    In all honesty, Carl favored the left jab and over hand right (FISTS). But remember, his body was highly conditioned, he was truly a HUMAN WEAPON, unlike the discovery guys...lol If he got a clean shot off to the face/neck area, one shot was all he needed and you were DONE! And thats the truth, no magic, just hard training!
    Great post Clint, and you are doing excellent credit to his memory. I also have his bare-knuckle boxing tape, and recommend it to anyone that is preparing for MMA, his bare knuckle work transitions to thin gloves well.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/12/2007 12:30am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Askari vbmenu_register("postmenu_1625173", true); :

I'm glad you like his material. I guess one of the problems, as I see it, Carl was only exposed to a very small group of people in person, and the rest through video/DVD.

Those of us who knew the man, know what he was about and what he was capable of, believe me, he studied everything he could get his hands on. His book collection was one of the best in the world! I don't think in the past 5 years their wasn't a DVD that came onto the market that he didn't buy and review. He never stopped learning, researching, training etc......EVER! It was his LIFE.

C.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2007 1:15am

Style: *********

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zadar95
    Carl Cestari who apparently was voted in Blackbelt magazine as 6th or 7th most dangerous man and who is the head trainer along with his top student Damian Ross have there ads in Black Belt , 3 dvds for a hundred bucks(with a money back gaurantee). Damian Ross proclaims himself as the most respected Reality based instructor in the world.
    Ok so you called Bullshido, now Bullshido in my mind equals fraud, fraud(as I have already started a thread on this topic just to get a clear definition) is lying or falsifying information in order to cause your intended audience(victims) material loss.

I simply do not see how a money back gaurantee equates to fraud. That is essentially telling you watch them and if you don't like them(or if you are a crook and just want to copy them) you can send them back to us and we will give you your money back... see there is no material loss, which means no fraud.

Now you could have chosen to do a review of the product, to do that however you have to speak of its target audience, strong and weak points of the material covered, effectiveness of drills(bearing in mind that they will probably be shorter on tape for time restriction reasons). For instance the BOB drill you rant on about. Do you really expect them to use 5-10 minutes of valuable tape time to show you what it looks like when you really work the drill, or 15-30sec to show you the drill so you can work it for 5-10 minutes? If there is material advertised which is not covered, you can say that, but at the same time if they covered something not advertised you should say that as well. If you would like an example of how to do a video review I can give you one.

Overall you come across like a hitman. Whether it is because you are a loyalist, and thus just want to trash the competition for fun, or because you are actually getting asked to do it is not relevant.
    Last edited by melk; 11/12/2007 1:17am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2007 1:41am

Style: BJJ, MACP (hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Clint--

Good to see you posting here. I've got some of Carl's tapes from '88-'89 (got them from Ralph Grasso in '00) and the material, and more importantly the mindset, is still a go-to for me.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    11/12/2007 11:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CLINT
    His book collection was one of the best in the world! I don't think in the past 5 years their wasn't a DVD that came onto the market that he didn't buy and review. He never stopped learning, researching, training etc......EVER! It was his LIFE.
    It is an example we all should follow.

I know another individual with a library like that, the guy is a wealth of knowledge on the evolution of Martial Arts in general and the grappling arts in specific.
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast