Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/04/2005 5:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Smack Girl - Tokyo

Anybody familair with Smack Girl (in Tokyo)? My school is sending a fighter over there to fight and was looking for some backgound on the event. they have a web site - but since I do not speak the language I didn't get much out of it.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/04/2005 6:21pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've know of it, vaguely.

I was under the impression that it was more like a serious fight than american pro-wrestling, but had more showboating than what we consider to be professional MMA.

UFC Fighter

Posted On:
    8/04/2005 6:27pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA, No-Gi Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Smackgirl is Womens MMA. No different. They just have some gimmicky fights, no different than K1 or Pride. In general, Japanese fighters will showboat because they want to put on a performance, not just win. So you have a lot of showboating as a lot of the women in it are Japanese.

Posted On:
    8/04/2005 9:43pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How would you rate the level of fighers?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2005 12:12pm

Style: MT (no, not "empty")

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The skill level of fighters varies. There are some very good female fighters like Erin Toughill, Marlo Coenen, Roxanne Modaferri, Erica Montoya, Megumi Yabushita, and Yukii Kondo. They also have some Japanese pro-wrestler chicks who arent really MMA fighters and usually lose pretty quick.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/09/2005 5:48am

supporting member
     Style: kyoku-shin, boun-shin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know a whole lot about Smack Girl, but I went to see one of their smaller cards a couple of years ago and was impressed -- while the competitors might have been a bit lacking in sheer physical power and/or ring seasoning, they were almost all tough as very tough things that had been left out in the sun. Don't count on pain submission.

And from what I've seen, everything J-Lau and daigoro said is true.

Puchingdummy, do you have any information about the card? I may be able to give you more information if I can look some things up. Smack Girl runs (or at least used to) fights under a variety of rule sets and skill levels, so there's not much useful that I can tell you without a bit more background.

Posted On:
    8/09/2005 7:02am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unfortunately, I don't have much info. I can't read the smackgitl website, and here is what was posted on the TSK web site...

"August 17, 2005. Laura D' Auguste will represent Team Tiger Schulmann at Smack Girl in Tokyo, Japan this month. Smack Girl is the premier event in woman's fighting. If Laura wins she will be credited as the best woman fighter in the world! Laura, Shihan Schulmann and Shihan 'Tiger' Schulmann are leaving for Japan on August 14. They have a press conference with the media on August 16 and Laura will fight on August 17. They say that success has very little to do with good luck and everything to do with good instincts. So we wish Laura both good luck and good instincts. Bring it home Laura. We know you can do it!"

Here'a Laura on Sherdog..

http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/f...fighterID=5736

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2005 9:46am

Style: MT (no, not "empty")

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://translate.google.com/translat...ial_s%26sa%3DG

If that link doesnt work, try a Google search for "Smackgirl Dynamic" then click on the link that says "translate this page".

"The first middleweight throne decision tournament semifinal 2 tournament & final"
    Looks like a 4 woman tournament. Unfortunately, i cant determine if its regular Smack Girl rules. It also looks like a setup for Yabushita to get an easy belt.

Posted On:
    8/09/2005 10:09am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks.

BTW, I don't think any fight against Laura D'Auguste is going to be easy.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    8/09/2005 10:11am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i have some .mkv files of smack girl, if you would like to check them out.

i have only been able to play them on my computer, all attempts to convert them to VCD, SVCD or something playable on my DVD player have been fruitless.

if you want them PM me and i'll find some way to get them to you.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast