Page 2 of 15 First 12345612 ... Last
    Style
    MT nub, Ex-Tang Soo Do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hope it works for smaller builds. I'm 5'3" and 135!
    DIDN'T YOU KNOW?! The Chinese know everything! And they knew it 4,000 years before YOU did!

"Yes. Yes I am. I'm clearly illiterate and dictating this post to a squadron of several dozen trained jumping beans I've coearced into living on my keyboard, each named after a letter or character, which bounce up and down as I call their names." -JohnnyCache

Style
    Kakutogi
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You HAVE to be 200+ and bench 400lbs to do BJJ. Don't listen to these pple go stack up on steriods and eat your Wheaties. They will try to lie to you and tell you guys like Royce, Genki Sudo, and others have beaten pple bigger and stronger than them but its all LIES!!! All the videos have been faked to so don't let it fool you!!!!
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Style
    BJJ/MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We have a perfectly capable purple belt who has only one leg. I am sure you can do BJJ without having a 400# bench.

Style
    Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, if you're going to compete, most competitions I've seen will match up the fighters by size. So, if you're not big, you won't be going against a huge guy anyway. Just get as strong as you can for your size/body type, and get your technique down, and you'll be fine.

Style
    BJJ/MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Size is about 10% of the equation IMO.

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcat
    Size is about 10% of the equation IMO.
    *sarcasm* Which explains why Pride, KOTC, IFC, and UFC have weight divisions. *sarcasm*

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *sarcasm* Which explains why Pride, KOTC, IFC, and UFC have weight divisions. *sarcasm*
    You may have noticed that Pride, UFC etc are MMA organizations, not BJJ.

You may have also noticed that NAGA, Grappler's Quest etc. usually have absolute divisions, which are often not won by the biggest guys.

Being big and strong helps. But it doesn't mean that smaller, more technical players aren't going to beat you soundly.

Of course, being light, weak AND technically incompetent makes for a frustrating experience, so the first months of training may be hard. That's part of the deal.

To answer the question from a personal perspective: I am tall, lanky, and not strong at all compared to some of the freaks in our school. I'm doing okay.
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You left out one key thing that goes a long way towards you holding your own, BR: Flexibility.

There are many factors involved in being a good fighter, or at least just good at BJJ. Strength is one, so is Size, so is Flexibility, etc. The most important though will always be Technique.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go check out a fight between Pe De Pano and Marcello Garcia, granted it is strictly bjj Garcia is giving up ALOT of weight,.

Style
    In Transition
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a fact: Your skill in BJJ is directly proportional to how much you bench.

PL

Page 2 of 15 First 12345612 ... Last